ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is the job as crap as people make out

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:
Blade Runner wrote:If it's such a crap job why are people who have put in 20,30 or 40 years service still doing the job :confused ?
Partly because they have 20,30,40 years pension to think of.
Partly because 20,30,40 years experience at posting letters doesn't mean much in the job market.
Partly because it wasn't crap for the whole 20,30,40 years.
Mostly because,like me they are institutionalised. :wave :crazy: :wave

Image
Yep! some of those faces look familiar right enough.

Many of the characters have disappeared from Royal Mail more's the pity.
Blade Runner
Posts: 121
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by Blade Runner »

dvbuk55 wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Blade Runner wrote:If it's such a crap job why are people who have put in 20,30 or 40 years service still doing the job :confused ?
Partly because they have 20,30,40 years pension to think of.
Partly because 20,30,40 years experience at posting letters doesn't mean much in the job market.
Partly because it wasn't crap for the whole 20,30,40 years.
Mostly because,like me they are institutionalised. :wave :crazy: :wave

Image
Yep! some of those faces look familiar right enough.

Many of the characters have disappeared from Royal Mail more's the pity.

Maybe they just like the job.
Pleidiol Wyf I'm Gwlad’
north london driver
Posts: 560
Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 21:51
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by north london driver »

well at the moment no sign of planning managers as they keep on either giving them e.v.r,s.
or they send them to offices out of london.a lot of managers who had any idea of the job are now
leaving also e.v.r,s offices in london must now be running at a lost, overtime is rife.
staff are dropping like flys more accidents on duty than ever, every day the phone rings with more staff going sick.
no one wants to work on a saturday and if you do go in there is no one on the sorting.

so london is the place to work at. still early starts no change in times of dutys finish by mid-day on most days
absorbtion is about 40 items each.most walking staff do there duty,splits,absorbtion,households,overtime by 1.30pm.
as for the managers there had enough they just want a quite life.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by BELIAL »

Blade Runner wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Blade Runner wrote:If it's such a crap job why are people who have put in 20,30 or 40 years service still doing the job :confused ?
Partly because they have 20,30,40 years pension to think of.
Partly because 20,30,40 years experience at posting letters doesn't mean much in the job market.
Partly because it wasn't crap for the whole 20,30,40 years.
Mostly because,like me they are institutionalised. :wave :crazy: :wave

Image
Yep! some of those faces look familiar right enough.

Many of the characters have disappeared from Royal Mail more's the pity.

Maybe they just like the job.
Maybe they just don't have any alternative options?
Bye
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by twobags »

i would also like to add on reflection depends on on the day youve just had :dance or :arrrghhh or :nana or :crazy: or :cuppa my personal favorite....................
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by fng »

solarisdorian wrote:Been in almost 6 years in total and best job I have ever had. I think you have to be a certain type of person to do this job or what I mean is you need to have something that keeps you into it on a daily basis. I am a bit of a loner and like getting out on my own. When I am off work I can go off for long solitary rambling walks. I am also an observer and you can sort of watch people and their environment whether it be a grand house with long gravel drive and leafy gardens or a litter strewn high rise hard boiled estate. Its all there to drink in and see. People can be kind and chatty or aloof and frosty, can complain and be abusive or need a friendly word because they are old and lonely. I can be working in beautiful rural locations untouched by modernity, or strange prefabricated post war chalets by a formidable river. People who shamble their bulky frames into offices and sit in front of computers all day never see these worlds. Top class job.
I couldn't of put it better myself solarisdorian :dance
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
SteveH
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 49
Joined: 23 Sep 2011, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: Hemel Hempstead (HCN MC)

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by SteveH »

dozandmaxine wrote:i get a bit depressed reading thread after thread about how crap people think the job is and would like to hear some posts from people who have something good to say about the job----- please cheer me up !!!
Everyone moans about every job, but on the whole it's not bad. Some of the managers are good, some are bar stewards, some are jobsworths. Same goes for colleagues. I've stuck it since '85, so it can't be that bad!
SteveH
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 49
Joined: 23 Sep 2011, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: Hemel Hempstead (HCN MC)

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by SteveH »

solarisdorian wrote:Been in almost 6 years in total and best job I have ever had. I think you have to be a certain type of person to do this job or what I mean is you need to have something that keeps you into it on a daily basis. I am a bit of a loner and like getting out on my own. When I am off work I can go off for long solitary rambling walks. I am also an observer and you can sort of watch people and their environment whether it be a grand house with long gravel drive and leafy gardens or a litter strewn high rise hard boiled estate. Its all there to drink in and see. People can be kind and chatty or aloof and frosty, can complain and be abusive or need a friendly word because they are old and lonely. I can be working in beautiful rural locations untouched by modernity, or strange prefabricated post war chalets by a formidable river. People who shamble their bulky frames into offices and sit in front of computers all day never see these worlds. Top class job.
Yes, I miss deliveries - but it was doing me knees in.
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by bunkerland »

EmmaRose wrote:Ran over a squirrel today ...and it survived...can't be all bad!! :shhhhh vans making a bit of a funny noise though and smells a bit warm :hmmmm
The furry little fellow was luckier than this one then!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngHTlJkf ... detailpage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jaylime
Posts: 331
Joined: 09 Jan 2009, 10:27
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by jaylime »

I was talking to some people on the train the other day going to watch Man City,we were talking about jobs and they all said"I would love to be a posty".One was a builder,one a accountant and the other a team leader at Tesco.They were also amazed at how much we get payed.I have done 20 years in the job and yes it has gone worse,but its better than alot of jobs out there.My plan is to do 30 years,then I am going to look at working at manchester airport,something i have wanted to do since being a kid.P.S. I agree that its the tools at the top that have no idea that are ruining it.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by dvbuk55 »

jaylime wrote:I was talking to some people on the train the other day going to watch Man City,we were talking about jobs and they all said"I would love to be a posty".One was a builder,one a accountant and the other a team leader at Tesco.They were also amazed at how much we get payed.I have done 20 years in the job and yes it has gone worse,but its better than alot of jobs out there.My plan is to do 30 years,then I am going to look at working at manchester airport,something i have wanted to do since being a kid.P.S. I agree that its the tools at the top that have no idea that are ruining it.

Why wait?
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by bunkerland »

jaylime wrote:I was talking to some people on the train the other day going to watch Man City,we were talking about jobs and they all said"I would love to be a posty".One was a builder,one a accountant and the other a team leader at Tesco.
Just to balance that up,a binman once told me that he certainly wouldn't want my job(he was delivering leaflets advising different Xmas/New Year collections days)

I'm surprised they were "amazed" at what we earn,how much did you tell them we get? :hmmmm
Redyam
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 97
Joined: 27 Sep 2009, 23:12
Gender: Male

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by Redyam »

solarisdorian wrote:Been in almost 6 years in total and best job I have ever had. I think you have to be a certain type of person to do this job or what I mean is you need to have something that keeps you into it on a daily basis. I am a bit of a loner and like getting out on my own. When I am off work I can go off for long solitary rambling walks. I am also an observer and you can sort of watch people and their environment whether it be a grand house with long gravel drive and leafy gardens or a litter strewn high rise hard boiled estate. Its all there to drink in and see. People can be kind and chatty or aloof and frosty, can complain and be abusive or need a friendly word because they are old and lonely. I can be working in beautiful rural locations untouched by modernity, or strange prefabricated post war chalets by a formidable river. People who shamble their bulky frames into offices and sit in front of computers all day never see these worlds. Top class job.
Poetry in words. You make the job sound beautiful, agree with you 100%.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by krussel »

I cant knock the money at all :wink:

When the suns up on a fresh morning and you have your jacket off :dance

Lots of other shite though :d'oh!
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Is the job as crap as people make out

Post by Tman »

You posties are a disgrace to RMC. Coming on here and being positive about RM and the job, you should be ashamed of yourselves. :wink:

Don't you realise everyone here hates RM with a passion, and can't wait to get out to a much better paid job as cabbies or B&Q shelf stackers ( like the bloke down the pub said he did) .. :angel