ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Door Stepping Catalogues

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

RTP wrote:
teebs wrote:Try the "hewavyweight" RM document. http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ht#p346612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm racking my brains here, but still can't remember seeing any of these with the instructions on, so if we have had them, they're about as rare as rocking horse s**t.
I had 2 today and they were part of the address label.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by DGP1 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
RTP wrote:
teebs wrote:Try the "hewavyweight" RM document. http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ht#p346612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm racking my brains here, but still can't remember seeing any of these with the instructions on, so if we have had them, they're about as rare as rocking horse s**t.
I had 2 today and they were part of the address label.
I had 6, all ISME catalogues and all said that they're to be left in a safe place and a P739 posted to let them know.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by fishtank »

Did you know that part of the specifications for BigBook is that it must be capable of being flexed up to 180
degrees without unsealing the wrapping,
It must also be no larger than B4 (353 x 250mm) with a maximum depth of 25mm.
The BigBook contract is designed specifically to fit through a letterbox. :left:
Anything else has to go through RM Heavyweight. :whistle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by POSTMAN »

No P&L yet? Cheer your driver up...
All RM Heavyweight items above 1kg will be delivered by vans.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by Lincox »

I agree with DGP1
Dont give them even the slightest chance of sacking you. If they aint in and whatever it is ,won,t go through the letterbox, P739 and back to the DO/Local Post office etc. It,s quicker to write out a P739 than mess about trying to find a safe place or even knocking a neighbour up, and no risk to your job. It,s not for us to try and pre judge what a customer is willing to collect or not.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Do you remember the Free Light Bulbs? I was working in an Office where the DIM was being a complete pain...So everyone was really P Off and decided to 739 any Bulbs where no-one was in! :shock: We had a laugh, very soon the callers office was knee deep with Bulbs awaiting collection. Joe Bloggs was getting pretty P Off as well when he found out what his "Large/Packet" was :dance The Guy in the callers office was getting a lot of stick as well...but he was an asshole so he deserved it! :nana But we didn't want to risk the DIMs wrath by door steeping them did we? :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

fishtank wrote:Did you know that part of the specifications for BigBook is that it must be capable of being flexed up to 180
degrees without unsealing the wrapping,
It must also be no larger than B4 (353 x 250mm) with a maximum depth of 25mm.
The BigBook contract is designed specifically to fit through a letterbox. :left:
Anything else has to go through RM Heavyweight. :whistle
Must remember this snippet of gold dust if/when those 2.8Kg Littlewoods(?) catologues turn up again! :dance
zidangus
Posts: 41
Joined: 19 Aug 2011, 21:17
Gender: Male

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by zidangus »

DGP1 wrote:
zidangus wrote:For those SAGA brochures that I have been delivering lately, I think there were 3 or 4 brochures packed together inside a plastic envelope. I got that sick of them that I ended up ripping the plastic and then posting them through individually !!

Also if you 739 a brochure, do you not think that the person who your delivering to would be a bit sick if they traveled all the way to the delivery office for a crappy SAGA brochure, I know I would. Also I have tried 739 these and I just get them back in my bag the next day, and told not to desp them, so its either carry them out again the next day, find a neighbour to keep hold it until the person comes back and 739 this, or doorstep it and 739 it. I think the doorstepping option is the most sensible for these non valuable mail.
:hmmmm Why risk your job for doing stupid things, opening peoples mail is a big no no, plus what does it matter if you've to take them out everyday? If your manager insists on anything else then ask for it in writing.


All you have to do is work to your time everyday, if RM want you to take out Saga magazines everyday until you manage to get them delivered then so be it, they're paying for the time so you do it.
Well it was a transparent plastic envelope, with a sticky address label on it. I could see exactly that is was four brochures, it was nothing private or confidential, so why not ?
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by DGP1 »

zidangus wrote:
DGP1 wrote:
zidangus wrote:For those SAGA brochures that I have been delivering lately, I think there were 3 or 4 brochures packed together inside a plastic envelope. I got that sick of them that I ended up ripping the plastic and then posting them through individually !!

Also if you 739 a brochure, do you not think that the person who your delivering to would be a bit sick if they traveled all the way to the delivery office for a crappy SAGA brochure, I know I would. Also I have tried 739 these and I just get them back in my bag the next day, and told not to desp them, so its either carry them out again the next day, find a neighbour to keep hold it until the person comes back and 739 this, or doorstep it and 739 it. I think the doorstepping option is the most sensible for these non valuable mail.
:hmmmm Why risk your job for doing stupid things, opening peoples mail is a big no no, plus what does it matter if you've to take them out everyday? If your manager insists on anything else then ask for it in writing.


All you have to do is work to your time everyday, if RM want you to take out Saga magazines everyday until you manage to get them delivered then so be it, they're paying for the time so you do it.
Well it was a transparent plastic envelope, with a sticky address label on it. I could see exactly that is was four brochures, it was nothing private or confidential, so why not ?
Because you're not allowed too, how would you like your post to be opened?
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Blue29
Posts: 223
Joined: 22 Jun 2011, 10:24
Gender: Male

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by Blue29 »

Not many things I can say been there done that in this job but this is one time i can. Stick a p739 in with it - catalogues opened by postie to get through letterbox - Seems almost but not quite exactly like common sense, I can't imagine anyone ever complaining if there is a note with them. However, I also just remembered to old adage never underestimate the power of stupidity. Really will anybodies world stop turning if you do this?
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Door Stepping Catalogues

Post by DGP1 »

Blue29 wrote:Not many things I can say been there done that in this job but this is one time i can. Stick a p739 in with it - catalogues opened by postie to get through letterbox - Seems almost but not quite exactly like common sense, I can't imagine anyone ever complaining if there is a note with them. However, I also just remembered to old adage never underestimate the power of stupidity. Really will anybodies world stop turning if you do this?
:roll: I don't understand why people want to go out of her way to help RM sack them, opening mail is not only a sure fire way of getting the sack but also ending up in court for doing it. But if people want to do it then who am I to say it's wrong, I'll still be being a pain in my DOMs arse long after you've been sacked for 'helping out' or 'using common sense' :roll:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio