ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by bunkerland »

muzzy wrote:
bunkerland wrote:
muzzy wrote: hopefully next week will be easier as I have no door2doors to do and the forecast said we are expecting a lot less mail :roll:
Where do you get mail forecasts? I know the weather one comes at the end of the news but mail forecasts? :hmmmm
it was a chart on the Assistant managers office wall
Cool! I'm going to ask if we can get one of those tomorrow. :nervous

I think your managers optimistic forecast could be a localised one however,because we've had a dark cloud hanging over our office for a while now,and i'm fecked if i can see a silver lining on it! :sad:
RTP
Posts: 863
Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by RTP »

flaminmoses wrote:the more you read his osts the more it looks like a manager on the wind up.
Yep, either that or he's as numb as they come.

With the 6hrs extra he supposedly worked last week for free (making up to 34hrs work done).

A quick bit of maths show that comparing that to a person on minimum wage working a 34hr week, this fella worked for less than the minimum wage.
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by muzzy »

What's minimum wage now?
I worked out £8.09 x 28 \ 34 = £6.66
although I got £15 extra for D2D's or whatever it's for

This week so far my hourly rate has gone back up to £9 per hour as I finished early today
RTP
Posts: 863
Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by RTP »

muzzy wrote:As a newbie, done just over a week now, I noticed I still hadnt been paid for my training day in Bristol, which should have been on last weeks payslip but wasnt, not on this weeks either, so i asked for a brief chat this morning to query this and the mileage allowance, both have now been sorted.
While I was there I asked him whats the score with over time, as this week I have done 6 hours over already and still got tomorrow to come.
His reply was
"well its swings and roundabouts here, on quiet weeks we dont mind you knocking off early but on busier weeks like this week we expect you to stay on, so it should even itself out. Its just unfortunate you started this week when it has been a manic week"

He did show me a forecast sheet on the office wall that clearly shows our expected figures of mail were very high for this week compared to most others within a couple of month period.

So.... its unfortunate I started on a busy week :crazy:

Ill give it a couple of months, if im continually doing extra hours ill have to ask for my contract to go up from the 28 im on to 35, whats the chances of that happening?!

before you ask, yes ive sent my union application off, not sure how much good that will do me though
It goes up to 6.10 in october muzzy, so by then at this rate you'll be on about a fiver an hour.
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by muzzy »

Unlikely. You forget I'm still new so I'm bound to be slower than others. I'm getting faster by the day so with a bit of luck I'll be finishing on time every day unless theres a mahoosive load in again like last Wednesday, oh hang on I'm off this wednesday :-)
minimumstandard
Posts: 134
Joined: 28 Jul 2010, 12:17
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by minimumstandard »

I persume you are taking your meal break.
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by twobags »

muzzy wrote:As a newbie, done just over a week now, I noticed I still hadnt been paid for my training day in Bristol, which should have been on last weeks payslip but wasnt, not on this weeks either, so i asked for a brief chat this morning to query this and the mileage allowance, both have now been sorted.
While I was there I asked him whats the score with over time, as this week I have done 6 hours over already and still got tomorrow to come.
His reply was
"well its swings and roundabouts here, on quiet weeks we dont mind you knocking off early but on busier weeks like this week we expect you to stay on, so it should even itself out. Its just unfortunate you started this week when it has been a manic week"

He did show me a forecast sheet on the office wall that clearly shows our expected figures of mail were very high for this week compared to most others within a couple of month period.

So.... its unfortunate I started on a busy week :crazy:

Ill give it a couple of months, if im continually doing extra hours ill have to ask for my contract to go up from the 28 im on to 35, whats the chances of that happening?!

before you ask, yes ive sent my union application off, not sure how much good that will do me though
i know its hard to accept but beware if you come across as a push over ,it wont ever stop you have to make a stand at some point but not to early ,
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by muzzy »

minimumstandard wrote:I persume you are taking your meal break.
Not actually sure how long a meal break is supposed to be?
But I take a 5 min fag break before going out and another couple of fag/drink stops while out. So probably about 15 minutes at most
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by clashcityrocker »

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=22175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by muzzy »

Thanks. So I'm entitled to 30 minutes for a 5.5 hour shift, seems a lot, my misses works for NHS and they have to do over 6 hours to get a 30 min break, anything less and they don't get a break, which I think Is backed up by working laws

I'm happy to take 15, dobt wanna be standing on street corners too long!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by clashcityrocker »

If you only take 15 you still get paid for 30.
Legally you are only entitled to a 20 minute break for a 6hr shift.
We have better terms and conditions. If we don't use them we will lose them.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
RTP
Posts: 863
Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by RTP »

muzzy wrote:Thanks. So I'm entitled to 30 minutes for a 5.5 hour shift, seems a lot, my misses works for NHS and they have to do over 6 hours to get a 30 min break, anything less and they don't get a break, which I think Is backed up by working laws

I'm happy to take 15, dobt wanna be standing on street corners too long!
So there's another 1hr 15mins a week for free, if you're on a 5 day week
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by POSTMAN »

So I'm entitled to 30 minutes for a 5.5 hour shift, seems a lot
:neutral: :d'oh! :arrrghhh
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
RTP
Posts: 863
Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by RTP »

He'll tell us he comes in early every morning next. Just while he gets up to speed like.
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by muzzy »

Just because you're given a paid break, doesn't mean you HAVE to take it. I'd rather be busy than standing around in the rain watching my clock. I'll bet the majority of posties don't take half hour breaks on street corners, I've yet to see one stood about doing nothing.

This forum seems to be mainly used by posties having a moan about anything and everything, if it's that bad perhaps try quitting and joining the millions of others out of work and likely to be for the forseeable future.

Me, I'm happy to be back in work and if my unpaid OT bothers you so much might I suggest that you have such wonderful lives you have to worry about what others are doing with theirs.