ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

32 years and out

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: 32 years and out

Post by Judgee »

Well good luck to them! :Applause

As for anyone suggesting that they are leaving now because they have to work for a living. Did it occur to you that perhaps they HAVE been working for a living and have wrecked thier bodies through the stresses and strains of the job, and that they are no longer physically up to it?

I admire them for sticking it out as long as they did, every day it gets harder and harder not to deck my DIM and tell them to stick their job up thier assss. :shock:

I curse the day I was forced to become a more responsible adult... well responsiblish?! :nervous
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: 32 years and out

Post by not me »

dave7634 wrote:
feduppostie wrote:fair play to them for their service but are they leaving as now they have to do park and loop and actually work for a living?

a senior guy at our place lost 4 stone when he went on p&l ( and nearly all his marbles) as he was a driver before

so yes the service is commendable but are they jumping ship due to actually having to work as hard as us walkers have over the years?

just asking the question probs many peeps think but don't wanna say :Very Happy
This is the beauty of seniority. After a while you'll have the choice of whether you wish to continue to walk or drive. Years ago yes, the drivers had it cushty, but this was normally when you had enough seniority to pick a decent duty. Nowadays they're mostly required to walk or part walk as much as the walking person. Is this fair when you're maybe 50+ and getting too long in the tooth to walk anymore? Good question I think but I'd hate to think that after 30 years I'd still be required to walk. I had this done to me last year where they took my collection off me and asked a 20hr contract to come in on o/t to do my collection. After 6 months I was shagged. Hip went and also arm from pulling the damned golf trolley. Off to the physio and also a Grievance was handed in to the DOM. Sorted, but still in pain even after nearly a year later.

exactly. i do a duty once a week i find quite easy
however the duty holder will have 15-20 years on me
gazza82
Posts: 32
Joined: 22 Aug 2010, 15:49
Gender: Male

Re: 32 years and out

Post by gazza82 »

The new system park and loop is the only reason people are leaving, it is wrong the whole shambollack way is wrong. Stop saying its good for the company cos it isnt. Walking for 4/5 hours a day with out a break, and being threatned by the managers for not pulling your finger out is totally disgraceful. The union knows whats going on and stand and watch.............I LEFT in january 2011, i worked at crewe.so glad im out.
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: 32 years and out

Post by flaminmoses »

hope hes pursueign constructive dismissal afterwards
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: 32 years and out

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I'll I say is 1500 offices...1500 different scenarios! :hmmmm I don't know the guys so won't comment on personalities,.. but both sides of the coin are covered here! Perhaps the guys have been "Hard Working Posties" or they may have been "Idle Buggers" for the last 30 years who knows. :hmmmm

All I will say is why bail out with only a short time to retirement? Just soldier on and take the money. No-ones shooting at you FFS! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
protect us
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 167
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 23:27

Re: 32 years and out

Post by protect us »

[quote][/quote] - Dorset plodder - I think mate there's a lot of bitterness and so many just go early due to it ! However some may have things lined up or plenty of £££ in the kitty so not much reason to stay ! Either way whatever there reasons it must be a relief to be out of the chaos !!
dave7634
Posts: 289
Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 08:54

Re: 32 years and out

Post by dave7634 »

gazza82 wrote:The new system park and loop is the only reason people are leaving, it is wrong the whole shambollack way is wrong. Stop saying its good for the company cos it isnt. Walking for 4/5 hours a day with out a break, and being threatned by the managers for not pulling your finger out is totally disgraceful. The union knows whats going on and stand and watch.............I LEFT in january 2011, i worked at crewe.so glad im out.
For a start everyone is entitled to a meal relief. If the individual chooses not to have it (and Royal Mail LOVES those people to death) then that's their lookout. IF a postperson is not pulling their weight then I would expect a manager to pull them to one side. That's their job.

A union is only as strong as its members. If they wanna run around and still believe in job n off then be warned, the DOM is watching you and your off time! Hardly anyone using trolleys. Meal reliefs not being taken; paired people are supposed to be coming back in pairs. Instead the driver is dropping them off at or near home and bringing the van back alone to the office. How can the rep challenge this without being seen as a 'grassing bastard!'?? So it carries on...and on....and on. Challenge them and all you get back from the driver is, "I cannot force them to come back with me can I!" :arrrghhh
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: 32 years and out

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Wouldn't have thought it was the Drivers problem! The Manager should have simply said, "Why haven't you signed out in the Office"? We've only got one Postie that finishes at home...and they whinge like mad about anything....If I was the Manager I'd simply say, "No problem..you can't lapse..you can't take out any packets...there's a lot of mail you want to cut off...you can't do IPS because you're so busy.." "JUST MAKE SURE YOU RETURN TO THE OFFICE TO SIGN OUT"! :Very Happy

I'm not a Manager, and fully support any fellow Posties against being dumped on, BUT some of my colleagues really take the Piss! It's about time they realised, they may have been getting away with it for years but they are now being expected to do a days work for a days wages! :hmmmm
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
dave7634
Posts: 289
Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 08:54

Re: 32 years and out

Post by dave7634 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Wouldn't have thought it was the Drivers problem! The Manager should have simply said, "Why haven't you signed out in the Office"? We've only got one Postie that finishes at home...and they whinge like mad about anything....If I was the Manager I'd simply say, "No problem..you can't lapse..you can't take out any packets...there's a lot of mail you want to cut off...you can't do IPS because you're so busy.." "JUST MAKE SURE YOU RETURN TO THE OFFICE TO SIGN OUT"! :Very Happy

I'm not a Manager, and fully support any fellow Posties against being dumped on, BUT some of my colleagues really take the Piss! It's about time they realised, they may have been getting away with it for years but they are now being expected to do a days work for a days wages! :hmmmm
It's not the drivers problem; it's everyones in the office. The point is that the DOM will say that whilst 'driver' is coming back then 'passenger' can take another 15/20 mins work. Less hrs in office=less jobs. Its getting the people back into the office which has saved jobs in our office through the revision process. If DOM seizes this chance we could potentially lose work through people wanting not to have to come back into the office in the first place.
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: 32 years and out

Post by bunkerland »

feduppostie wrote:
a senior guy at our place lost 4 stone when he went on p&l ( and nearly all his marbles) as he was a driver before
Christ,what did he weigh before? How long have you been on park and loop? And how did he even fit in a van? With staggering results like that perhaps Royal Mail could bring out a p+l exercise video! :hmmmm
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: 32 years and out

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I've not encountered this problem, so far, Dave. I take it your DIM is just "Tinkering" with the hours/duties to save a bit of his bonus! Under the Revision all our duties were worked out on the assumption that both P & L Partners were returning to the office. Therefore they both had 20 mins travel out and 20 mins return to office.

What happens when the Reserve covers the duty and has to return to pick is car up? I presume the DIM then has to "Allow" the extra time to return to the office? All sounds a bit iffy to me. :crazy: Have they let your colleagues sign for duties which are convenient to where they live? If I cover the duty of our Postie that finishes at home, the DIM often says, "You've taken some time today.." I reply, "How do you know how long they take, they never come back here"! :arrrghhh
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
box_shana
Posts: 26
Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 20:48
Gender: Male

Re: 32 years and out

Post by box_shana »

gazza82 wrote:The new system park and loop is the only reason people are leaving, it is wrong the whole shambollack way is wrong. Stop saying its good for the company cos it isnt. Walking for 4/5 hours a day with out a break, and being threatned by the managers for not pulling your finger out is totally disgraceful. The union knows whats going on and stand and watch.............I LEFT in january 2011, i worked at crewe.so glad im out.
I just read a good article on this park and loop, its quite old, but hits the nail on the head I think.



http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... royal-mail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: 32 years and out

Post by flaminmoses »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I've not encountered this problem, so far, Dave. I take it your DIM is just "Tinkering" with the hours/duties to save a bit of his bonus! Under the Revision all our duties were worked out on the assumption that both P & L Partners were returning to the office. Therefore they both had 20 mins travel out and 20 mins return to office.

What happens when the Reserve covers the duty and has to return to pick is car up? I presume the DIM then has to "Allow" the extra time to return to the office? All sounds a bit iffy to me. :crazy: Have they let your colleagues sign for duties which are convenient to where they live? If I cover the duty of our Postie that finishes at home, the DIM often says, "You've taken some time today.." I reply, "How do you know how long they take, they never come back here"! :arrrghhh

and this is where the union should be putting on maximum pressure to weed out stuff like this.
people are getting sacked for grossly unfair practices by managers who know the more they save the bigger financial gains they will make.
its fraud and should be a criminal matter.