ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by BELIAL »

muzzy wrote:Ooo, lots of replies on this!
Well I understand what you are all saying, but I've been out of work 2 months, I'm on a temp 28 hour contract and I can I'll afford to start making an issue out of it. I want to be seen as a guy that is worth keeping on when my contract expires (8 months) as I do love the job, having worked in retail all my life it's a real change and there seems to be a lot of good guys working there.
You are f****d then ,and you will be working for nothing for evermore . Still if that makes you appy, and working in retail you are used to it. Can't see how you are going to eat,ah but the endless repetitive day after f***ing day banter will fill your belly :chuckle
Bye
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by muzzy »

Hmm.. I expect the majority of you are on perm contracts and don't have job security issues. I'd applied for over 50 jobs in the last year and had only a handful of interviews. I wonder if your replies would be the same if you were in my shoes with a big mortgage and kids to support
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by muzzy »

I'll get more on the dole??
Errrmmmm... No
kawoxux
Posts: 300
Joined: 18 Aug 2011, 19:36
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by kawoxux »

Genuinely can't beleieve the differences from office to office. Everytime I've gone over, or said I don't think I can complete in the time, the overtime is offered by the line manager, and I've never had a problem of it not being paid. It goes both ways though, I think he realises that when I say I cant complete, I genuinely can't because I rarely say it to him. I'd imagine if I tried it on it'd soon dry up.. I've also often added my break on when I come back on time having not taken it. Judging by this forum, I think I've really lucked out on this... :hmmmm But to be honest, tis the way it should be, not doing this for fun at the end of the day..
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by flaminmoses »

yeah make a note and try and have someone with you when you talk to your boss about the ot.

small claims court beckons
Burge
Posts: 24
Joined: 08 Sep 2011, 18:21
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by Burge »

muzzy wrote:Hmm.. I expect the majority of you are on perm contracts and don't have job security issues. I'd applied for over 50 jobs in the last year and had only a handful of interviews. I wonder if your replies would be the same if you were in my shoes with a big mortgage and kids to support
I understand your situation, but the manager also understands it. If you take the good advice on this thread, you'll get paid the docket you're due.

Too many temps in our place are scared to ask why they've not got their OT paid and worry about asking for it affects their chances of being taken on longer. But if you don't ask, you really won't get. And you asking for the OT pay you're due won't affect whether you're taken on longer or permanantly one bit. The managers all know this too, they just always try it on with all staff (temps, casuals and permanent) because if they get free hours work from any of us they're quids in themselves.
Big Daz
Posts: 5668
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by Big Daz »

fishtank wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:Coach? Rep? anywhere?
He's only been there a week...
They're obviously waiting till he gets his 10 year paperweight. :cuppa
I got my 20 year one last week :wave
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by flaminmoses »

the more you read his osts the more it looks like a manager on the wind up.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by Lincox »

You are making a rod for your own back if you continue to do unpaid overtime. Gradually they will add more and more. If you are doing the job properly you will not have to fear about your contract being renewed, unless there is a shortage of work when your contract comes up for renewal. I would suggest each day that you think you will be going over, to gain your managers agreement to pay you overtime, preferably in front of a witness. If he is not prepared to give you that agreement, then tell him that you are unable to do the overtime. Be polite but firm.
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by muzzy »

Well I finished spot on time today, actually 3 minutes early, would have been earlier if I wasn't kept waiting 10 minutes for my first bag drop :Boo hoo!

So only did 5hrs 57 minutes over!
Oh well it's the weekend now, hopefully next week will be easier as I have no door2doors to do and the forecast said we are expecting a lot less mail :roll:
box_shana
Posts: 26
Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 20:48
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by box_shana »

I am new also, and I was unsure about the overtime, I was and still am working two hours past my contracted hours every day. Anyway I decided that I am not going to lump around heavy mail bags for nothing. So I booked overtime and so far it has been paid. If it does not get paid in the future I will tell the DOM that I will not finish the walk in my contracted hours so what are you going to do about it. Then that is his problem not mine. If he does not want to pay overtime then get someone else to deliver the mail when my contracted hours finish. At the end of the day, its a job, your right, but you should stand up and not let them take the piss out of you, this is not Russia or some third world country, workers have rights, that were hard fought to get, so my advice is use them and don't let the managers abuse their position to make you work for free, I know they would not work for free.

p.s and don't forget to add your break time on the overtime as your entitled to be payed for that also.
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by muzzy »

finished 15 minutes early today, so things looking better :Very Happy
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by bunkerland »

muzzy wrote: hopefully next week will be easier as I have no door2doors to do and the forecast said we are expecting a lot less mail :roll:
Where do you get mail forecasts? I know the weather one comes at the end of the news but mail forecasts? :hmmmm
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by fishtank »

bunkerland wrote:
muzzy wrote: hopefully next week will be easier as I have no door2doors to do and the forecast said we are expecting a lot less mail :roll:
Where do you get mail forecasts? I know the weather one comes at the end of the news but mail forecasts? :hmmmm
Easy bunker...they look at what came in this week last year and subtract 10%.
That's your start point for the resource meeting...scientific isn't it? :wink:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Had a chat wth the Office manager this morning...

Post by muzzy »

bunkerland wrote:
muzzy wrote: hopefully next week will be easier as I have no door2doors to do and the forecast said we are expecting a lot less mail :roll:
Where do you get mail forecasts? I know the weather one comes at the end of the news but mail forecasts? :hmmmm
it was a chart on the Assistant managers office wall