ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Making Time

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SexyLegs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 393
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by SexyLegs »

Straight4ward wrote:Putting to one side the comments and advice given to you by other posters on here for a moment and returning to your question – “What the hell do they want?”

What they want is for you to make up the 1:30minutes that they paid you for on Saturday that you have yet to work. We are paid by the hour, we are not on piece work.

I’m not really sure that I understand why this is upsetting you so much. You got what you wanted, and what was really important to you, with an early finish on Saturday so that you could look after your children. Surely, everything else pales into insignificance alongside this? Working off the ‘saved’ hour & a half is a cheap price to pay, certainly cheaper than taking an unpaid day's leave that you were willing to offer.

Give them back what you owe them and your problem is solved.
Another who hasn't read the post, others did OT within their duty so when that happens it's job & knock for everyone......isn't it?

Double standards, the posties who do OT get job & knock, and that's been me plenty of times in the past, while the 'favour needers' get lambasted for skipping round, with a witnessed agreement...............maybe it's just me then! lol
SexyLegs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 393
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by SexyLegs »

clashcityrocker wrote:
triggd wrote: why should she leave,when legs first took the job on it may have been because the hours were apt for her personal life,its royal mail that keeps changing the goalpost not legs.
Sexylegs is a bloke. He used to play for ***********.
Cheers clash, I had an ounce of anonymity for a second there!!!
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by POSTMAN »

SexyLegs wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
triggd wrote: why should she leave,when legs first took the job on it may have been because the hours were apt for her personal life,its royal mail that keeps changing the goalpost not legs.
Sexylegs is a bloke. He used to play for ***********.
Cheers clash, I had an ounce of anonymity for a second there!!!
Edited.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by coxie »

What you need to understand now legs is completing your delivery doesn't mean the end of your days work anymore. It's no longer a job and knock job so get that out of your head, if you finish your delivery early you are setting yourself up for more work back at the office. You need to request to finish work 2 hours early if that's what you need in future, either get it in writing if its a regular thing or get witnesses or the union when you make such request, don't assume by posting your last letter early that it means you are finished and can go home because them days are long gone.
SexyLegs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 393
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by SexyLegs »

Straight4ward wrote:Putting to one side the comments and advice given to you by other posters on here for a moment and returning to your question – “What the hell do they want?”

What they want is for you to make up the 1:30minutes that they paid you for on Saturday that you have yet to work. We are paid by the hour, we are not on piece work.

I’m not really sure that I understand why this is upsetting you so much. You got what you wanted, and what was really important to you, with an early finish on Saturday so that you could look after your children. Surely, everything else pales into insignificance alongside this? Working off the ‘saved’ hour & a half is a cheap price to pay, certainly cheaper than taking an unpaid day's leave that you were willing to offer.

Give them back what you owe them and your problem is solved.
Short memory Straight, what I owe them!, what about what they owe us?

And how long have you been a postie Straight?, a fair while judging by the number of posts, so let me ask you this, back in the good old days as I'm told they were, prior to 2005, how often did you get paid for 8 hours and only work 4 or 5?, every day for 20/30 years? Are you going to give them back what you owe them?

No, didn't think so! Don't be so quick to pass judgment when you were doing the same thing for years and years! :shhhhh
SexyLegs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 393
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by SexyLegs »

coxie wrote:What you need to understand now legs is completing your delivery doesn't mean the end of your days work anymore. It's no longer a job and knock job so get that out of your head, if you finish your delivery early you are setting yourself up for more work back at the office. You need to request to finish work 2 hours early if that's what you need in future, either get it in writing if its a regular thing or get witnesses or the union when you make such request, don't assume by posting your last letter early that it means you are finished and can go home because them days are long gone.
Coxie - I had agreement from the Lino to shoot round and get off, due to childcare issues, read the thread buddy ;)
SexyLegs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 393
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by SexyLegs »

POSTMAN wrote:
SexyLegs wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
triggd wrote: why should she leave,when legs first took the job on it may have been because the hours were apt for her personal life,its royal mail that keeps changing the goalpost not legs.
Sexylegs is a bloke. He used to play for ***********.
Cheers clash, I had an ounce of anonymity for a second there!!!
Edited.
Doesn't give away my location Postman but if you want to edit it then go you ahead! lol
Big Daz
Posts: 5668
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by Big Daz »

My DOM wants to make a 40 hour SPDO duty a 30 hour duty and redeploy the hours back into the D.O

Reasoning is that it can be done on a 30 hour week as everyone apart from duty holder who performs this duty gets it done with enough time to spare to make it look like a 30 hour duty. I will be asking for solid operational evidence that less than 40 hours is needed when working at a normal pace.

The redeployment of hours is due to delivery point growth and the DOM needs to find hours to accommodate it as he will not be given new hours by the DSM and above level managers. Reasoning for not being given hours is the amount of job and finish that is made, the DOM is expected to utilise this time.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Making Time

Post by clashcityrocker »

SexyLegs wrote:
Cheers clash, I had an ounce of anonymity for a second there!!!
The only way I could know you used to play for ******* is because you posted it on here!
I wasn't sure which club it was so I looked back through your posts.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Making Time

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

SexyLegs wrote:
And how long have you been a postie Straight?, a fair while judging by the number of posts, so let me ask you this, back in the good old days as I'm told they were, prior to 2005, how often did you get paid for 8 hours and only work 4 or 5?, every day for 20/30 years? Are you going to give them back what you owe them?

No, didn't think so! Don't be so quick to pass judgment when you were doing the same thing for years and years! :shhhhh
Ummm "Straight" was not quick to pass judgement before P&M07 came in "Job and Knock" was not only a widespread practice - it was an official one brought in by Leighton - and we took it hook, line and sinker.

The P&M07 contained this little gem,
- To ensure all paid work hours are utilised
, so yes so while they may have done the same for years and years - well why not, it was official policy, that has since changed.

If I have to be honest within the present climate, perhaps going to a manager, even with a witness, and hoping they stick to a pre-arranged deal is perhaps showing a little naivety. I have been faced with the same situation as no doubt have others. I have then either paid cash in hand, or come to a deal with a mate and we have covered each other in a mutual arrangement. I would much rather trust my colleagues to stick to something unofficial, than expect the management team to remember something beyond their meal relief, or next coffee break.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by fishtank »

SexyLegs wrote: tank - I've reached 40,
Sat May 22, 2010 4:39,pm
SexyLegs wrote
I'm a relatively fit mid 30's postie
Are your years like dog years? :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by coxie »

SexyLegs wrote:
coxie wrote:What you need to understand now legs is completing your delivery doesn't mean the end of your days work anymore. It's no longer a job and knock job so get that out of your head, if you finish your delivery early you are setting yourself up for more work back at the office. You need to request to finish work 2 hours early if that's what you need in future, either get it in writing if its a regular thing or get witnesses or the union when you make such request, don't assume by posting your last letter early that it means you are finished and can go home because them days are long gone.
Coxie - I had agreement from the Lino to shoot round and get off, due to childcare issues, read the thread buddy ;)
I did read it and as I told you in my earlier post a verbal agreement by a lino isn't worth s**t, they all tell porkies mate, unless you have your union rep there at the time of this agreement then don't take it for granted in future.
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: Making Time

Post by REDLETTER »

coxie wrote:Sexy Legs, if you have childcare issues you need to put it in writing to get on the family friendly scheme, a verbal agreement is worth s**t, just because you tell them you need to finish early doesn't mean they have to agree to it, you need an agreement in writing. As I understand it the law now states that companies have to accomodate family friendly if they can. You need it in writing with your union and managers, just because I tell my manager I need to finish early on a saturday it doesn't give me the right to do so, if you know anything about RM you will know a managers word is worth s**t.
This just doesn't exist in RM. :neutral:
SexyLegs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 393
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by SexyLegs »

clashcityrocker wrote:
SexyLegs wrote:
Cheers clash, I had an ounce of anonymity for a second there!!!
The only way I could know you used to play for ******* is because you posted it on here!
I wasn't sure which club it was so I looked back through your posts.
I realised that :wink:
SexyLegs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 393
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Making Time

Post by SexyLegs »

fishtank wrote:
SexyLegs wrote: tank - I've reached 40,
Sat May 22, 2010 4:39,pm
SexyLegs wrote
I'm a relatively fit mid 30's postie
Are your years like dog years? :cuppa
Can't give too much away on here my old mucker! :wink: