ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
The Enemy
Posts: 20
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by The Enemy »

fishtank wrote:Sorry Ken...but you can't advise people to leave the business because you are in a different position to us.
You can never regret your decision to leave Royal Mail because the decision was made for you. :whistle
I could regret getting sacked - but I don't. Best thing that ever happened.

And I only got sacked for sticking up for myself - something which you're all going to have to do a lot more of in the future....
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by fishtank »

The Enemy wrote:
fishtank wrote:Sorry Ken...but you can't advise people to leave the business because you are in a different position to us.
You can never regret your decision to leave Royal Mail because the decision was made for you. :whistle
I could regret getting sacked - but I don't. Best thing that ever happened.

And I only got sacked for sticking up for myself - something which you're all going to have to do a lot more of in the future....
I don't judge you for being sacked. :neutral:
The point is i take it you didn't set out to be sacked,events overtook you and you made the best of it.
If i leave through choice then the responsibility for making that decision is mine...and the regret if it goes pear-shaped.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
wayoutman
Posts: 238
Joined: 02 Jun 2011, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by wayoutman »

ken, are you spending a few quid at elland road before the window closes?
The Enemy
Posts: 20
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by The Enemy »

wayoutman wrote:ken, are you spending a few quid at elland road before the window closes?
Yes - I'm building a hotel.

Best of luck Royal Mail people. I feel for you, I really do, especially the older ones, who remember what it used to be like. A boss who had done and knew the job and was respected for it, delivering a service to the community, a job for life, mates you made at work, being valued as an employee and a person, PHGs, 'docket', having to wear a proper smart uniform, pens with PO stock numbers on them, tips at Christmas, proper meal reliefs, bikes with rod brakes, pouch drops, those cylindical torches, jumpers for goalposts....

Best wishes, Ken
pickaname
Posts: 1467
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 20:24

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by pickaname »

The Enemy wrote:It's not going to get better - it's a dying business, run from the top, down to the bottom, by snide cretins who'd stab their own Granny to keep their jobs.

The old days are gone, and they ain't coming back. Your Union have sold you out. They are now paper tigers - 'management' (loose term) only pay lip service to them. They can't save you. Re-train, go to College, get down the Job Centre, start your own business - anything, but do SOMETHING. You'll never win.

You think it's bad now....? Just wait....
This post is so true

The postal service is dying - FACT.

I wager it will cease to exist in its current form within 10 years and be gone like the milk rounds in 20.

If ever there were a warning to the under 40s this is it. Leave it too long and you'll be on the scrap heap for good.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by DirtyHarry »

The Enemy wrote:It's not going to get better - it's a dying business, run from the top, down to the bottom, by snide cretins who'd stab their own Granny to keep their jobs.

The old days are gone, and they ain't coming back. Your Union have sold you out. They are now paper tigers - 'management' (loose term) only pay lip service to them. They can't save you. Re-train, go to College, get down the Job Centre, start your own business - anything, but do SOMETHING. You'll never win.

You think it's bad now....? Just wait....
Can't fault much of what you say, mate.
A crying shame how a company, that WAS truly a joy to work for, could have nose-dived so far, so fast, and shows no sign of halting the self-imposed decline any time soon.
And, as you quite rightly point out, thanks in large part to "snide cretins", like my completely out of his depth, DIM.
protect us
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 167
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 23:27

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by protect us »

Sadly and it is with SADness - have to agree with this post and to be fair this has been a too the point post and very much on how it is these days :sad: i have been lucky to experience some good bits of the job within 12yrs but i know how amazing it was years ago too what with the working on trains,nights,comradeship ( not as much back biting stiring two facedness) ! and something that is defo lacking now ...RESPECT !!! i think we all agree that the business had to change - after all it has been trying too for a while - what with Consignia name change etc , but the way its being done now and the unmanagable workloads ( imo to force us to walk away rather than reduncy ) add on loss of ot and allowences say no more !! every postie will have to do whats right for them and decide whats best but i feel the security and other aspects of the job could now be at risk after such a fast and ruthless change :sad:
The Enemy
Posts: 20
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by The Enemy »

DirtyHarry wrote:
The Enemy wrote:It's not going to get better - it's a dying business, run from the top, down to the bottom, by snide cretins who'd stab their own Granny to keep their jobs.

The old days are gone, and they ain't coming back. Your Union have sold you out. They are now paper tigers - 'management' (loose term) only pay lip service to them. They can't save you. Re-train, go to College, get down the Job Centre, start your own business - anything, but do SOMETHING. You'll never win.

You think it's bad now....? Just wait....
Can't fault much of what you say, mate.
A crying shame how a company, that WAS truly a joy to work for, could have nose-dived so far, so fast, and shows no sign of halting the self-imposed decline any time soon.
And, as you quite rightly point out, thanks in large part to "snide cretins", like my completely out of his depth, DIM.
The DOMs and their little helpers are more frightened for their jobs than even the postmen/women are. 15 years ago, an office of roughly 80 staff would have just ONE manager and ONE assistant manager. And how many does the same office have now? At least 4 or 5. They're top-heavy, and they know it - that's why they'd scratch anybody's eyes out, in order to stay 'in favour'. Although there are far more of them, there is actually a lot LESS work for the DOMs - managers in the past actually had to MANAGE. They had a lot more freedom, and weren't just 'middle men' who impliment what those higher up tell them. Who remebers when DOMs/Inspectors had discretion, the ability and clout to make decisions, and were (mostly) a decent group of men? The current breed are frightend rats, who'll bully and lie their way through their working days..... but 5 years from now, they'll still be signing on at the same job centres as you and your toothless union reps.

It breaks my heart, it really does.
adrianjames
Posts: 33
Joined: 25 Jul 2009, 08:59
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by adrianjames »

WELL LEAVE THEN,£9.00 AN HOUR 6 WEEKS HOLIDAY,6 MONTHS FULL SICK PAY,JUST DO YOUR HOURS THEN GO HOME,IF YOU CANT COMPLETE THEN DONT GET A LIFE :vcfo :dcfo :ncfo
The Enemy
Posts: 20
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by The Enemy »

adrianjames wrote:WELL LEAVE THEN,£9.00 AN HOUR 6 WEEKS HOLIDAY,6 MONTHS FULL SICK PAY,JUST DO YOUR HOURS THEN GO HOME,IF YOU CANT COMPLETE THEN DONT GET A LIFE :vcfo :dcfo :ncfo
I've got a life, mate - I'm not the one who's still stuck in that joke of a business. That's you.

I'm just telling people how it is - no disrepect meant to anybody (especially all the old-skool posties who 'know the score'). I feel sad, especially for the guys who've put some years in - they know what I'm talking about. And it's not just my opinion, here - I've got a lot of contacts in many management areas of the business, and I can tell you which way the wind is blowing.... if you want to listen.
Danelectro
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by Danelectro »

The Enemy wrote: And it's not just my opinion, here - I've got a lot of contacts in many management areas of the business, and I can tell you which way the wind is blowing.... if you want to listen.
So what have you heard Ken,which way is the wind blowing?....though I must stress anybody with half a brain cell that works in Royal Mail knows the future aint looking rosy to put it mildly
The Enemy
Posts: 20
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by The Enemy »

Danelectro wrote:
The Enemy wrote: And it's not just my opinion, here - I've got a lot of contacts in many management areas of the business, and I can tell you which way the wind is blowing.... if you want to listen.
So what have you heard Ken,which way is the wind blowing?....though I must stress anybody with half a brain cell that works in Royal Mail knows the future aint looking rosy to put it mildly
Unfortunately, the wind is blowing very cold and very hard....

Believe it or not, senior management are suffering worse than you - I'm talking about the good ones, the guys who worked their way up and 'know the score'. The decent ones, the ones who still have principles - not the human rats that are in vogue these days. Royal Mail are currently making very liberal use of something called the NCI Code - standing for Non-Culpable Inefficiency. In simple terms, it works like this: You've been doing the same job, or similar for 10 or 20 years. Some kid, fresh out of college, turns up and says that you're not working hard enough, and if you don't improve, you'll be 'on NCI'. But you can't meet the ludicrous workload that they expect of you - primarily because THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO!!! The plan is that that you get sacked by being 'proved' to be being inefficent - thus relieving themselves of the troublesome 'good guy' and his pesky pension entitlements. Believe me, it's rife across management at the moment....
The Enemy
Posts: 20
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by The Enemy »

BELIAL wrote:Very big twat
That I may be, but I'm also someone 'knows the score'.... do you?
labbloke
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 282
Joined: 03 Sep 2009, 05:11
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by labbloke »

The Enemy wrote:
BELIAL wrote:Very big twat
That I may be, but I'm also someone 'knows the score'.... do you?
Yeh you got beaten, and in your post match interview, youve got plenty of excuses for your defeat. :crazy:
The Enemy
Posts: 20
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: Get Out Of The Royal Mail Shambles ASAP.....

Post by The Enemy »

labbloke wrote:
The Enemy wrote:
BELIAL wrote:Very big twat
That I may be, but I'm also someone 'knows the score'.... do you?
Yeh you got beaten, and in your post match interview, youve got plenty of excuses for your defeat. :crazy:
I'm Ken Bates aka The Enemy. I don't give post match interviews - the manager does that.

But what I do give are wise words to my ex-comrades.