ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
union WHERE ARE YOU ?
-
randompostman
- Posts: 300
- Joined: 22 Apr 2009, 21:24
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
The only question i want answered is if CWU HQ agreed to 30.000 job cuts for SDD with RMG? How many job cuts were agreed with RMG in the last set of "negotiations" and settlement and not told to the membership in the reasons to vote for the deal. I would like to know about all job cuts agreed including MCs and DOs and other RM workers during those negotiations in 2009 - 2010! I ask this because most all i can remember is the Union talking about preserving FULL TIME JOBS! They never mentioned part time jobs and i suspect they have sold out our part time jobs without telling us as we all know it is last in and first out and with the sh*t contracts many part timers get i think that is the group of fellow workers to be sacrificed! If i am correct, it is time that part timers found ANY Union other than the CWU to look out for them! If i am wrong and HQ never agreed to sacrifice thousands of part time workers jobs so they could blag their own membership into excepting that sh*t deal then i of course apologise in advance and unreservedly for asking the question, but for me it is the most important communication I need from our Union at this momment not a load of bureaucratic BS filled with words that RMG ignore and the membership never get to see or understand. Any Div Reps or senior CWU members know? I hear that a few new PEC members use RMC now so maybe they could put my mind at rest about a "possible" cynical sell out of part timers jobs. Now that would be communication that matters.
-
MinisterofCucumber
- Posts: 806
- Joined: 15 Dec 2009, 22:18
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
Hello London-Jack, nice to meet you too.
I stepped down after I served my term because I wanted the members to organise themselves and become more active.
After ousting the previous rep, who was a vector for injustice, the members still saw the Union as a service and were passive. They had been encouraged to believe that the unit rep, a volunteer, should be able to get them what they wanted, including more than their fair share of overtime, because they were paying £3 a week. My stepping down prompted another candidate to stand who will be going on the Union Skills 1 course and workplace committees are being set up for each shift. I did the right thing because the Union in my unit now has more activists and more depth.
I had only become active in the first place because the Union had been letting us down. Remember, I discovered that we had received a pay cut when we should have been paid pay protection and I had to write to MPs to get our money back. At the time, the rep was holding meetings telling members to not progress their grievances.
I also had to put pressure on management to pay members the difference between substitution allowance and temporary promotion. On the very day that one member won his grievance, the rep approached me and told me that the Territorial rep had said that he couldn't get his money back.
During my year, I pressurised a reluctant management to introduce an aggregate overtime list thus cutting off an opportunity for favouritism. I also made them create two new PO grade positions, a rare chance for promotion. I prevented the conduct coding of members who had made mistakes through lack of training and I stopped management issuing stage 1 attendance warnings to members who had one off health problems. I also helped management resolve operational problems by consulting with members in the relevant sections and presenting a worker-led solution. The biggest change I made was to lift the veil of secrecy that we had been working under. We were working under an authoritarian regime and information used to be only available to a few. Now everyone knows how our management and union operate and this has made it impossible for things to return to the way they were before.
When you came down, I was polite to you because you were our guest. I felt you should meet the members you are meant to represent and that was why I refused to meet you behind closed doors and forced you to come down on the floor. We gave you a warm welcome because we wanted to encourage you to engage with us. You certainly made an impression. The members nicknamed you 'shiny shoes' and were copying your 'emphasising the point' dance for days afterwards. They were intrigued by your accent and, even now, whenever your name is mentioned, someone tries to shout the word "capacity" in your inimitable style.
I stepped down after I served my term because I wanted the members to organise themselves and become more active.
After ousting the previous rep, who was a vector for injustice, the members still saw the Union as a service and were passive. They had been encouraged to believe that the unit rep, a volunteer, should be able to get them what they wanted, including more than their fair share of overtime, because they were paying £3 a week. My stepping down prompted another candidate to stand who will be going on the Union Skills 1 course and workplace committees are being set up for each shift. I did the right thing because the Union in my unit now has more activists and more depth.
I had only become active in the first place because the Union had been letting us down. Remember, I discovered that we had received a pay cut when we should have been paid pay protection and I had to write to MPs to get our money back. At the time, the rep was holding meetings telling members to not progress their grievances.
I also had to put pressure on management to pay members the difference between substitution allowance and temporary promotion. On the very day that one member won his grievance, the rep approached me and told me that the Territorial rep had said that he couldn't get his money back.
During my year, I pressurised a reluctant management to introduce an aggregate overtime list thus cutting off an opportunity for favouritism. I also made them create two new PO grade positions, a rare chance for promotion. I prevented the conduct coding of members who had made mistakes through lack of training and I stopped management issuing stage 1 attendance warnings to members who had one off health problems. I also helped management resolve operational problems by consulting with members in the relevant sections and presenting a worker-led solution. The biggest change I made was to lift the veil of secrecy that we had been working under. We were working under an authoritarian regime and information used to be only available to a few. Now everyone knows how our management and union operate and this has made it impossible for things to return to the way they were before.
When you came down, I was polite to you because you were our guest. I felt you should meet the members you are meant to represent and that was why I refused to meet you behind closed doors and forced you to come down on the floor. We gave you a warm welcome because we wanted to encourage you to engage with us. You certainly made an impression. The members nicknamed you 'shiny shoes' and were copying your 'emphasising the point' dance for days afterwards. They were intrigued by your accent and, even now, whenever your name is mentioned, someone tries to shout the word "capacity" in your inimitable style.
"You wanna f**k with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!" - Tony Montana
-
MinisterofCucumber
- Posts: 806
- Joined: 15 Dec 2009, 22:18
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
Hello Postman,
what happened to London-Jack's post?
what happened to London-Jack's post?
"You wanna f**k with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!" - Tony Montana
-
randompostman
- Posts: 300
- Joined: 22 Apr 2009, 21:24
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
I would think it was because he outed someone? and seemed to be offering violence?MinisterofCucumber wrote:Hello Postman,
what happened to London-Jack's post?
Good post by the way and if even half is true you should stand again.
-
Big Daz
- Posts: 5668
- Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
He was being abusive, total lack of professionalism and breach of site rules I would suggest.
He could have challenged you in a firm but civil/polite manner but chose not to,
Anyway M of C, well done for stepping up to the post of local rep to put right the injustices you felt were happening in your workplace, rather than standing on the sidelines grumbling.
He could have challenged you in a firm but civil/polite manner but chose not to,
Anyway M of C, well done for stepping up to the post of local rep to put right the injustices you felt were happening in your workplace, rather than standing on the sidelines grumbling.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
I would ask, Minister, why it is you stood down. You are obviously a minister for justice and fair play. Now why is it that people like you and others on this site do not progress within the union hierarchy. TBH people with a sense of fair play and would like to see the union returned to a national organisation are somehow viewed as the enemy by the powers that be and not a source for good.
-
MinisterofCucumber
- Posts: 806
- Joined: 15 Dec 2009, 22:18
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
I stood down because I wanted to stimulate more activism.
London-jack suggested that I would have lost if I had stood for election. Who knows?
The strange thing is, even though I am not the rep, everyone still treats me like I still am. I have had to take down my Che Guevara poster from the Union room but the spirit of resistance remains.
I happen to love the multicultural community in my unit and I believe that public services should promote such societies where members of groups who don't ordinarily mix with others are given an opportunity to mix. I will never turn away anyone who asks for my help.
There are much braver people in my unit who stood up to a bully manager on the late shift. Unfortunately, the Union didn't help them. I will stand with them.
London-jack suggested that I would have lost if I had stood for election. Who knows?
The strange thing is, even though I am not the rep, everyone still treats me like I still am. I have had to take down my Che Guevara poster from the Union room but the spirit of resistance remains.
I happen to love the multicultural community in my unit and I believe that public services should promote such societies where members of groups who don't ordinarily mix with others are given an opportunity to mix. I will never turn away anyone who asks for my help.
There are much braver people in my unit who stood up to a bully manager on the late shift. Unfortunately, the Union didn't help them. I will stand with them.
"You wanna f**k with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!" - Tony Montana
-
borgpicard
- Posts: 486
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
Taking our money, thats for sure and shafting us at every opportunity, plus getting nice back handers from royal fail, to keep quiet, and now its time to leave the union, f***ing USLESS
-
philsdeals19
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 29 Jul 2010, 17:44
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
how many ucw reps are like ours?work mon-fri 6-2 never works a sat and guess what?when new revision comes in he is not working saturdays.he don't want to rock the boat does he. he stays quiet and drinks at the local with the domhans solo wrote:they cant tell us anything without rm permission![]()
did you not get your consultation phone call
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
How does that work then?philsdeals19 wrote: how many ucw reps are like ours?work mon-fri 6-2 never works a sat and guess what?when new revision comes in he is not working saturdays.he don't want to rock the boat does he. he stays quiet and drinks at the local with the dom
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
Would that be a CWU rep??And if they're acting like that then stand against them and get them out of office, once a year they have to re-apply for the position.philsdeals19 wrote: how many ucw reps are like ours?work mon-fri 6-2 never works a sat and guess what?when new revision comes in he is not working saturdays.he don't want to rock the boat does he. he stays quiet and drinks at the local with the dom
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
Big Daz
- Posts: 5668
- Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
Nowt wrong what so ever with a rep having Saturdays off if he/she has obtained it through seniority.
Sometimes I sense a "The rep must have a s**t duty and/or s**t day off in his/her OPG status" mentality.
Sometimes I sense a "The rep must have a s**t duty and/or s**t day off in his/her OPG status" mentality.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
I take it you don't work Saturdays then BD. By and large I believe local reps do a good job but it isn't unknown for some to use that position to enhance their own position, something they are at pains to justify - which is the unions way of dealing with situations of that nature.Big Daz wrote:Nowt wrong what so ever with a rep having Saturdays off if he/she has obtained it through seniority.
Sometimes I sense a "The rep must have a s**t duty and/or s**t day off in his/her OPG status" mentality.
-
Big Daz
- Posts: 5668
- Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
I'm the last man standing on Saturdays as I lock up. 6 am to 2pm every Saturday.
FT duties finish at 1330
PT duties at 1245
In reality the duty holders go home a lot earlier than that, far too early. One could say day after day RM are being handed savings on a plate
FT duties finish at 1330
PT duties at 1245
In reality the duty holders go home a lot earlier than that, far too early. One could say day after day RM are being handed savings on a plate
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: union WHERE ARE YOU ?
eBig Daz wrote:I'm the last man standing on Saturdays as I lock up. 6 am to 2pm every Saturday.
FT duties finish at 1330
PT duties at 1245
In reality the duty holders go home a lot earlier than that, far too early. One could say day after day RM are being handed savings on a plate
Well I don't envy you - I once did the same duty, almost, it was 5 until 1 and lock up every saturday. The managers had all disappeared by 9 o'clock and you are left holding the baby, AODs, breakdowns, alarm problems, lost specials, gate lock jammed - you could bet your backside 2 out of 4 Saturdays you wouldn't be leaving at 1. The last lift was supposed to be 1245 to the MC if he turned up on time.