ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working in the registered locker

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: Working in the registered locker

Post by not me »

lol @ 2 hour callers
ours is open 12 hours
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Working in the registered locker

Post by dvbuk55 »

Fishyfingers wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Fishyfingers wrote:I work in a small office and the cover PHG/locker as a floater.Day starts 6.45 first check Cleo then sort out specials and tracks,do 7.00am report,sort out offical mail and mis-sort run,hand out keys and cards,work out traffic figure then email them,open callers office 8am,do dead letters,shut callers office 10am,do 10.30 report,go out and do PHG 45min delivery get back to office have meal relief,open callers office 11.30-2.30 few other reports to do in that time, wait for all posties to get back from delivery and check back any stuff they bring back.Some days you have to throw duties off including D2D.

How small?

7 Bike/HCT duties 8 van duties.
Are those van duties paired P&L or just rural duties and do you have PDAs?
Fishyfingers
Posts: 162
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 22:04
Location: Highland

Re: Working in the registered locker

Post by Fishyfingers »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Fishyfingers wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Fishyfingers wrote:I work in a small office and the cover PHG/locker as a floater.Day starts 6.45 first check Cleo then sort out specials and tracks,do 7.00am report,sort out offical mail and mis-sort run,hand out keys and cards,work out traffic figure then email them,open callers office 8am,do dead letters,shut callers office 10am,do 10.30 report,go out and do PHG 45min delivery get back to office have meal relief,open callers office 11.30-2.30 few other reports to do in that time, wait for all posties to get back from delivery and check back any stuff they bring back.Some days you have to throw duties off including D2D.

How small?

7 Bike/HCT duties 8 van duties.
Are those van duties paired P&L or just rural duties and do you have PDAs?


No park and loop,4 van duties a rural, 2 are town and the 2 are town and rural all vans have pda's and 1 walking duty has a pda.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Working in the registered locker

Post by dvbuk55 »

Fishyfingers wrote:No park and loop,4 van duties a rural, 2 are town and the 2 are town and rural all vans have pda's and 1 walking duty has a pda.
That's a pretty envious state of affairs fishy, there can't be a lot of work involved in preparing the SDs, tracked and PDAs. TBH I wonder how economical a small office like that can be - I know that if I was RM hierarchy I would be looking to rationalise small units into larger more flexible units - in fact I'm surprised that hasn't been a priority. There are obviously exceptions to that rule because of location but as the MCs are being whittled down I feel sure small units are seriously under threat.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: Working in the registered locker

Post by Indy »

dvbuk55 wrote:It depends which half of the locker duty you do.

I work 5 until 10 and it takes the majority of that time to receive in, distribute to the walks and then allocate them, receive in the tracked items, which tomorrow will be about 250 tracked and a similar amount of specials. All of which must be completed for 0800 because some of the bulks have pre 9 deliveries. In addition there are the 9 a.m. specials and the missorts which must be ready by 0720. Post 0800 the remaining walks would be allocated together with my 20 minutes (I know it should be 30 minutes) break. At 0900 I start to issue the specials, vehicles and PDAs as required, though they are not allowed to leave until later, it takes a fair while to get through them. Mostly all the work has been issued by 10 but not always - so I don't have time to do anything but what I am supposed to do - especially as the work from the MC arrives when it feels like it - sometimes leaving not a lot of time to get it ready.

So I would imagine on an 8 hour duty there would be time to do something else.
Well said! that pretty much sums it up in my office apart from some of the timings

Its worth bearing in mind that most offices are different i.e. some OPG's crown their own dead in others the RLE does the whole offices. You also need to factor in any other jobs done i.e. the missorts getting bags ready if you need to send SD back to the mail centre i.e. RTS, not collected etc. Dealing with customs etc etc etc Its perfectly possible to make the RLE a full time job with a proper 318 as it is in our office rather than ad hoc stuff the DOM wants to throw at you.