ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Booking Annual Leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mazza111
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 877
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 16:30
Gender: Female

Re: Booking Annual Leave

Post by mazza111 »

Our office supposedly worked on a rota system, sheet with 4-5 names on, listed by seniority. 2 summer weeks would be allocated to you, supposedly moving 1 week forward every year. The other weeks were chosen by the list going round the people on the list, senior man first, then backwards to senior man last for remaining weeks.


Worked great! However, the managers never got the one week forward every year bit and allocated where they saw fit, mine usually being May or September. Luckily every year I managed to change it to July - August where I could spend some time with the kids as there was an old boy who kept getting allocated peak times that he didn't like taking.
MentalVortex
Posts: 55
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 15:31
Gender: Male

Re: Booking Annual Leave

Post by MentalVortex »

It's a fair rota in our office although it does suck that, if you're at the bottom of the list, for five years you have no chance of getting a week or two off anytime in July or August. It's a fair enough system, I suppose. What's not fair is that the three weeks before Christmas are blocked out - no one's allowed to book any time off then, which is total bullshit. We used to head off to Germany for a week every December and I've had to knock it on the head since I started with RM. I know it's a busy time of year, but ffs.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Booking Annual Leave

Post by Darren Bent »

I have managed to book 3 days off for first weekend of December. So it is not impossible.