ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Time locks .... can I kill the mail?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
human1
Posts: 223
Joined: 04 Aug 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: Time locks .... can I kill the mail?

Post by human1 »

So there is no written law ? I will make 3 attemps over three days ... bring the mail back ... kill the lot off ???? As we are suppose to be delivering by 2 pm and this block is my very last call. There is no way I can get there before 1.45 and by this time, time locks are ON.
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

Re: Time locks .... can I kill the mail?

Post by estelle »

I'd have thought an official line of action would need to be introduced across the board for this problem then? Surely with later start times for everyone, this problem will become more common.

In an area which delivers the majority of mail to addresses with time locks/service buttons, I know for a fact that customers are less like to buzz you in, you'll have more 'no access' items than deliverable and it'll just be a disaster all round. Think tenement flat areas in Glasgow & Edinburgh for example - a lot have proper security access these days, and many trade buttons stop working around 10/11 am if you're lucky. It's even worse when you lose an hour in winter...
Hitcher
Posts: 1540
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Time locks .... can I kill the mail?

Post by Hitcher »

human1 wrote:So there is no written law ? I will make 3 attemps over three days ... bring the mail back ... kill the lot off ???? As we are suppose to be delivering by 2 pm and this block is my very last call. There is no way I can get there before 1.45 and by this time, time locks are ON.
That's not your call to make. Pass the buck up the chain of command.
analogsynthman
Posts: 31
Joined: 12 Feb 2010, 14:13
Gender: Male

Re: Time locks .... can I kill the mail?

Post by analogsynthman »

I had this problem for over a year. a key is required to get in or it's stand there and press each flat number and wait till it rings off or someone opens the door. When i finally got a key it was lost by the floater. So back to square one again. I have to endorse the mail i can't deliver and take it back.
Sometimes it takes a week to get rid of it, then the whole cycle starts again. I'l be jacking this s**t in soon, i've just had enough of constantly dealing with tossers.