ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against me
-
MrPPatt
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 03 Jul 2011, 21:07
- Gender: Male
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
I started as a half-timer on 3 month contract, 6 months ago and definitely did not sign the Official Secrets Act
Patt :]
Patt :]
-
rmdriver
- Posts: 139
- Joined: 19 Jul 2009, 20:50
- Gender: Male
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
jonluc wrote:Hi all
I have been contacted about the potential of an interview as a postie.
However...
I know that I will be going through a CRB check and am worried my last job will go against me. I was a teacher at a sixth form college and trained actor (have been for the past 20+ years) and had never been disciplined throughout my entire working life. Then in March-April this year I was suspended twice for allegations made by some students which the college then took as being acts of gross misconduct! I knew (still know) these allegations were lies but the college stood firm and HR advised it would be better for me to consider resignation rather than face potential dismissal. I therefore resigned. This now, I am sure, would go onto my CRB and therefore stop me from being a postie!
Are there any of you out there who could help me on this please? Would this now mean the RM wouldnt take me on?
Help please!
Thank you
Nothing will show on a CRB unless you have been convicted by a court. Your previous employer should not disclose the reason for your resignation with Rm and as you have not been found guilty of an offence by a court they should not disclose any details of allegations made against you either or you can have them for it.
-
mailmonkey
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 22:12
- Gender: Male
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
I'm an ex-lecturer, turned postie and very happy with it thanks.
One of my colleagues at the college (at the time of joining he'd had a CRB) had a new "enhanced" CRB check throw up a police caution for class A drug possession some years previous to his employment.
He resigned, he had thought that caution had lapsed, or was irrelevant.
He's now a postie too! And finding life much less stressful. So either RM don't do proper CRB checks, or they use discretion.
One of my colleagues at the college (at the time of joining he'd had a CRB) had a new "enhanced" CRB check throw up a police caution for class A drug possession some years previous to his employment.
He resigned, he had thought that caution had lapsed, or was irrelevant.
He's now a postie too! And finding life much less stressful. So either RM don't do proper CRB checks, or they use discretion.
-
fmrPOSTIE
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 674
- Joined: 29 Oct 2008, 20:52
- Gender: Male
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
Everyone signs the Official Secrets act. Its a blue bit of paper at the induction!
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
I think only convictions for dishonesty - theft or fraud, would affect employment with Royal Mail.
-
MrPPatt
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 03 Jul 2011, 21:07
- Gender: Male
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
Yeah - I checked with a starter who had been there with me. We did sign it - oopsfmrPOSTIE wrote:Everyone signs the Official Secrets act. Its a blue bit of paper at the induction!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
I had to and I joined about 8 years ago. Its a green piece of paper or at least mine was as I insisted on keeping a copy.Judgee wrote:NWpostie wrote:Don't worry they take anybody these days![]()
Just watch C4 Despatch![]()
Seriously you don't have anything to worry about, if its not recorded, no dramas, no conviction or caution etc, you will be getting standard CRB disclosure, not enhanced CRB which is more for working with children and vulnerable adults, TBH I don't see the relevance of CRB to a Postie job, security clearance is more important as you are covered by the Official Secrets Act, I had to sign one when I joined up, I don't know if they still do now.
No don't think so, I don't recall signing it when I started ten years ago although I have lost a lot of brain cells since then?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Indy
- Posts: 977
- Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
- Gender: Male
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
Hmmm...... RM might be swayed if not by the CRB check but by your employment record. You haven't said WHAT exactly you were alleged to have done but I guess most people have read between the lines and could have a pretty good guess. Also why resign if you hadn't done whats been alleged? you might very well be innocent but it STINKS all the same.jonluc wrote:Then in March-April this year I was suspended twice for allegations made by some students which the college then took as being acts of gross misconduct!
It all looks a bit iffy and RM might think why take the risk.... there are plenty of other people out there desperate for a job.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16736
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
Given that we deliver to primary schools etc shouldn't the enhanced CRB be the norm?NWpostie wrote: you will be getting standard CRB disclosure, not enhanced CRB which is more for working with children and vulnerable adults,
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
Don't think so as it comes under incidental contact rather than prolonged or persistent.clashcityrocker wrote:Given that we deliver to primary schools etc shouldn't the enhanced CRB be the norm?NWpostie wrote: you will be getting standard CRB disclosure, not enhanced CRB which is more for working with children and vulnerable adults,
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3622
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Don't think so as it comes under incidental contact rather than prolonged or persistent.clashcityrocker wrote:Given that we deliver to primary schools etc shouldn't the enhanced CRB be the norm?NWpostie wrote: you will be getting standard CRB disclosure, not enhanced CRB which is more for working with children and vulnerable adults,
Correct, the most we will be doing is going to the reception and dropping the mail off any contact with children is minimal, common sense should also prevail.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
jonluc
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 17:09
- Gender: Male
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
well lets put it this way - one allegation was that a female student reckoned I had revealed my chest to her in a class full of other students (some of whom also went with her while others said it was lies). College then wouldnt believe me when I said the classroom was next to the staffroom so why the hell would I do something stupid like that. once that hearing was over I was then put on a final written warning as they just went with the student allegation (they never back the teacher by the way), and the second allegation was for a bawdy play from the 17th century I was directing. all the students had to do was to suggest they were getting up to no good by making sounds from off stage. of course, there were then some students who went to the HR department and said I was wanting them to have sex, that I was forcing rape on them... and HR went for it, I was called in for another hearing and was advised then to resign rather than be dismissed so what option do you have? They reckoned that it looked begtter than me being dismissed. In the 20+ years of me dealing with youngsters I have never been called into question apart from these 2 allegations which took place one after the other in March/April and straight away it was college believing students and not teacher. The girl from the first incident even told me afterwards she was sorry and that things had been blown out proportion!!!!!! when i told HR this they ignored it!
So what do you do when these bombshells hit you! and there's a little one on the way!
Cheers for the positive replies

So what do you do when these bombshells hit you! and there's a little one on the way!
Cheers for the positive replies
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3622
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
The day will come when there are no Teachers .............................
we're doomed
we're doomed
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
You mean they'll be working less hours and weeks than they do nowNWpostie wrote:The day will come when there are no Teachers .............................
we're doomed
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: seeking work with the royal mail but CRB may go against
dvbuk55 wrote:You mean they'll be working less hours and weeks than they do nowNWpostie wrote:The day will come when there are no Teachers .............................
we're doomed
I think teachers deserve all thier holdiays now, must take them a while to recover from dealing with all those horrible kids!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?