ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Spelling

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Eric Cantona
Posts: 365
Joined: 15 Jul 2010, 19:21
Gender: Male

Re: Spelling

Post by Eric Cantona »

ElvisGaddafi wrote:I know the procedure on this site is to not draw attention to spelling mistakes just for the sake of it, so I won't. But having just read through a few posts, virtually none of which were spelt 100% correctly, I have a question. Does nobody care that non employees reading these forums must think that we are all a load of thick bastards?
If your that good and educated why are you working for Royal Mail?
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Spelling

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

Eric Cantona wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:I know the procedure on this site is to not draw attention to spelling mistakes just for the sake of it, so I won't. But having just read through a few posts, virtually none of which were spelt 100% correctly, I have a question. Does nobody care that non employees reading these forums must think that we are all a load of thick bastards?
If your that good and educated why are you working for Royal Mail?
I didn't say I was good?? and educated, only that I can spell. And, by the way, it's you're not your.
Last edited by ElvisGaddafi on 03 Jul 2011, 22:03, edited 2 times in total.
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Spelling

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

CLINTEASTWOOD wrote:I NOW WHOT TOU MEEN GETS ON ME NERRVES WHEN PEPLE DONT SPEEL WRIGHT :whistle
I see what you did there. And people say that comedy is dead!
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Spelling

Post by krussel »

My spelling is quite poor but if i have time i will correct it. Its just the same on other forums as well.

I post on a watch collectors forum and some of the guys on there work in professional industries and can be a bit snooty, however their spelling is no better than ours. :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Spelling

Post by rhino49 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:My observation is that the great majority of words on this forum are spelt correctly. :nana
In posting on here I don't think any of us are expecting a literary award for our efforts. :sad:
They are all spelt correctly (apart from spelt) - they just end up in the wrong post or wrong sentence !!!
We need a lost or disabled word mod to ensure they are placed correctly or assisted to produce their intended meaning.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: Spelling

Post by George door to dawes »

DGP1 wrote:
George door to dawes wrote:Suppose you have to take into account we are employed to deliver letters not to write them :Very Happy Who cares if we can spell on an internet forum? I think if the general public were to stumble across this website they would be more shocked about what we have to put up with than our English proficiency. English is also an evolving language spoken by many different regions in the UK and many different cultures around the world so just because something is spelled differently in the oxford dictionary doesn't mean we are all retards!
:chuckle :chuckle Grammar Nazi alert :nervous

Sorry but I just had too..............................TBH my spelling is not the best but I have only little things to amuse myself :nervous
:Very Happy yeah cant argue with that one school boy error making spelling mistakes in a thread about spelling!
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Spelling

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Eric Cantona wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:I know the procedure on this site is to not draw attention to spelling mistakes just for the sake of it, so I won't. But having just read through a few posts, virtually none of which were spelt 100% correctly, I have a question. Does nobody care that non employees reading these forums must think that we are all a load of thick bastards?
If your that good and educated why are you working for Royal Mail?
There's many a reason why we might be working for Royal Mail, had enough of the rat race, want to be outside more of the day, want something a bit more worthwhile or challenging than pen pushing. :Very Happy
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Spelling

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Correct me if I'm wrong but we do have a spell checker on this Forum. If you get a red squiggly line under a word all you have to do is Right Click and it'll give you options for the correct spelling. :Very Happy I do believe in trying to write properly, just a matter of personal pride, BUT I've meet a few lads that couldn't even read or write, in previous lives, that were good mates!

Yes we should strive to do our best, BUT think of times gone by when the majority of working class folk couldn't even read! :hmmmm Try not to judge too harshly. :no no
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Spelling

Post by Pinky 1 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but we do have a spell checker on this Forum. If you get a red squiggly line under a word all you have to do is Right Click and it'll give you options for the correct spelling. :Very Happy I do believe in trying to write properly, just a matter of personal pride, BUT I've meet a few lads that couldn't even read or write, in previous lives, that were good mates!

Yes we should strive to do our best, BUT think of times gone by when the majority of working class folk couldn't even read! :hmmmm Try not to judge too harshly. :no no
I think that spell checker you mention is from your internet browser, not from this site.
I didn't get one on Internet Explorer, but I've got one on Google Chrome :hmmmm
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Spelling

Post by taurus88 »

Eric Cantona wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:I know the procedure on this site is to not draw attention to spelling mistakes just for the sake of it, so I won't. But having just read through a few posts, virtually none of which were spelt 100% correctly, I have a question. Does nobody care that non employees reading these forums must think that we are all a load of thick bastards?
If your that good and educated why are you working for Royal Mail?
I'm a reasonably educated man, yet I work for Royal Mail. I'm sure there are many different kinds of people working within RM for all manner of reasons. I work for RM because the choice I had was to accept the job, or else face more months of unemployment. I think it was a pretty straightforward choice in retrospect.

Regarding spell-checkers, I have one built in to Firefox, but I generally ignore it because I am lazy.
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Spelling

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

taurus88 wrote:
Eric Cantona wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:I know the procedure on this site is to not draw attention to spelling mistakes just for the sake of it, so I won't. But having just read through a few posts, virtually none of which were spelt 100% correctly, I have a question. Does nobody care that non employees reading these forums must think that we are all a load of thick bastards?
If your that good and educated why are you working for Royal Mail?
I'm a reasonably educated man, yet I work for Royal Mail. I'm sure there are many different kinds of people working within RM for all manner of reasons. I work for RM because the choice I had was to accept the job, or else face more months of unemployment. I think it was a pretty straightforward choice in retrospect.
Yes. I'm sure that there are many reasonably/highly educated and intelligent people working for RM for, as you say, all manner of reasons. I think the fact that Eric Cantona suggests that all RM workers are poorly educated idiots probably says more about him than it does them.
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: Spelling

Post by George door to dawes »

taurus88 wrote:
Eric Cantona wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:I know the procedure on this site is to not draw attention to spelling mistakes just for the sake of it, so I won't. But having just read through a few posts, virtually none of which were spelt 100% correctly, I have a question. Does nobody care that non employees reading these forums must think that we are all a load of thick bastards?
If your that good and educated why are you working for Royal Mail?
I'm a reasonably educated man, yet I work for Royal Mail. I'm sure there are many different kinds of people working within RM for all manner of reasons. I work for RM because the choice I had was to accept the job, or else face more months of unemployment. I think it was a pretty straightforward choice in retrospect.

Regarding spell-checkers, I have one built in to Firefox, but I generally ignore it because I am lazy.
I have Firefox and doesnt work for some reason even though its turned on in the option menu.

Why is spelling being discussed as a indicator of intelligence anyway? Albert Einstein had dislexia so that throws that theory out of the window. And intelligent or not we all have to eat and pay the bills so whats wrong with working in Royal Mail? I know a few lads at the office with degrees doesnt mean anything when the economy is screwed and all jobs are scarce.
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Spelling

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

George door to dawes wrote:
taurus88 wrote:
Eric Cantona wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:I know the procedure on this site is to not draw attention to spelling mistakes just for the sake of it, so I won't. But having just read through a few posts, virtually none of which were spelt 100% correctly, I have a question. Does nobody care that non employees reading these forums must think that we are all a load of thick bastards?
If your that good and educated why are you working for Royal Mail?
I'm a reasonably educated man, yet I work for Royal Mail. I'm sure there are many different kinds of people working within RM for all manner of reasons. I work for RM because the choice I had was to accept the job, or else face more months of unemployment. I think it was a pretty straightforward choice in retrospect.

Regarding spell-checkers, I have one built in to Firefox, but I generally ignore it because I am lazy.
I have Firefox and doesnt work for some reason even though its turned on in the option menu.

Why is spelling being discussed as a indicator of intelligence anyway? Albert Einstein had dislexia so that throws that theory out of the window. And intelligent or not we all have to eat and pay the bills so whats wrong with working in Royal Mail? I know a few lads at the office with degrees doesnt mean anything when the economy is screwed and all jobs are scarce.
So you're saying that most of the posties on this site suffer from dyslexia?
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Spelling

Post by wiganpostie »

One of the problems with the Internet is that it can popularise a common misspelling of a word to such an extent that you start to believe that the misspelling isn't erroneous. "Definate" is a good example. :crazy:
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: Spelling

Post by RedBagMan »

Reminds me of a quote by Eric Morecambe ...

"I'm playing all the right notes ... but not necessarily in the right order"

(My particular 'bête noire' is "should of" instead of "should have", and all other variations of same ...)

:chuckle
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...