ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:FFS, is RM running a free car hire for new starters without a vehicle - it is totally unheard of in my office for anyone to take a vehicle home. There is no justification for it. How would it be if I was to claim mileage from home to work because someone else is using a van and fuel provided by RM. Are there no regulations which apply across the board.
If there's no parking space for the van at the Delivery Office then it's in Royal Mail's interests for you to take it home, :Very Happy and it's safer parked on your drive in the better side of town :crazy: than on the street outside the DO at the back end of the town centre. :Very Happy
Right so whose problem is the "no parking" ? I'll bet some neighbours just love the idea of RM hogging parking spaces, because the vans on the drive and the cars in the street or more likely the vans in the street. I don't believe that employees should be responsible for employers vehicles outside of working hours.
calpsy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 491
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
Gender: Male

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by calpsy »

carpathia_kuja wrote:
calpsy wrote:
carpathia_kuja wrote:
calpsy wrote:U really only get the van home if your starting early in the morning .

Whats the point giving someone the van home if hes coming in at 8 or 9 ? ? Waste of a van sitting there unused .
I am part time 25 hours, I start at 9am mon tues and half 8 wed to fri and half 7 sat. I take the van home all the time. it's not wasting a van cos when I start we are basically only start to pull out anyways. First letter at my DO is half 9 mon to fri, theres no need for the van before I start.
Each office is different but MY comment would probably be the one MOST offices use . No need to make it more difficult .
Don't think so like. If you find that difficult then you need to go back to school.
I need to go back to school . ? At least I speak english . Maybe in YOUR "village" you lot get away with adding LIKE to the end of your sentences but to most of us it just sounds stupid . Anyway why start an argument when there was none there to start with ??? grow up .
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by PhilthyPhil »

dvbuk55 wrote:Right so whose problem is the "no parking" ? I'll bet some neighbours just love the idea of RM hogging parking spaces, because the vans on the drive and the cars in the street or more likely the vans in the street. I don't believe that employees should be responsible for employers vehicles outside of working hours.
I don't see the problem as long as both the postie and RM are happy with the arrangements. This has afterall always happened in RM particularly in SPDOs where a lot of them have no parking, it is just becoming more common now because P&L is increasing the number of vans. It is also quite common to see other firms vans parked on peoples driveways overnight so it is not exactly unusual.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:FFS, is RM running a free car hire for new starters without a vehicle - it is totally unheard of in my office for anyone to take a vehicle home. There is no justification for it. How would it be if I was to claim mileage from home to work because someone else is using a van and fuel provided by RM. Are there no regulations which apply across the board.
If there's no parking space for the van at the Delivery Office then it's in Royal Mail's interests for you to take it home, :Very Happy and it's safer parked on your drive in the better side of town :crazy: than on the street outside the DO at the back end of the town centre. :Very Happy
Right so whose problem is the "no parking" ? I'll bet some neighbours just love the idea of RM hogging parking spaces, because the vans on the drive and the cars in the street or more likely the vans in the street. I don't believe that employees should be responsible for employers vehicles outside of working hours.
There's space on the drive for two cars and a van, so no need to park in the street. :Very Happy like :shock:
Others park work vans at home too so no problems with the any neighbours. :Very Happy like :shock:
I'm no more responsible for the van outside of working hours than during working hours, in fact less so because there's not the added responsibility of driving responsibly. :Very Happy like :shock:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:FFS, is RM running a free car hire for new starters without a vehicle - it is totally unheard of in my office for anyone to take a vehicle home. There is no justification for it. How would it be if I was to claim mileage from home to work because someone else is using a van and fuel provided by RM. Are there no regulations which apply across the board.
If there's no parking space for the van at the Delivery Office then it's in Royal Mail's interests for you to take it home, :Very Happy and it's safer parked on your drive in the better side of town :crazy: than on the street outside the DO at the back end of the town centre. :Very Happy
Right so whose problem is the "no parking" ? I'll bet some neighbours just love the idea of RM hogging parking spaces, because the vans on the drive and the cars in the street or more likely the vans in the street. I don't believe that employees should be responsible for employers vehicles outside of working hours.
There's space on the drive for two cars and a van, so no need to park in the street. :Very Happy like :shock:
Others park work vans at home too so no problems with the any neighbours. :Very Happy like :shock:
I'm no more responsible for the van outside of working hours than during working hours, in fact less so because there's not the added responsibility of driving responsibly. :Very Happy like :shock:
So just to cut a long story short -you and those like you are getting subsidised travel, whilst the rest of us pay for it - unless of course you are putting your own fuel in the vehicle.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by 97gaz »

O
Last edited by 97gaz on 28 Apr 2020, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

So you get subsidised travel and the majority of us don't. There should have been further arrangements made about subsidised travel beyond the stipulated 3 years. It's poor management, after 20 years.
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by Pinky 1 »

ElvisGaddafi wrote:It shouldn't be a problem. What usually happens with new starts is that you get your pick of the driving duties and you get to take the van for that duty home. When they find out that you don't have a car they'll probably insist that you take one of the 4 seaters incase you want to take your family on a trip to the seaside at the weekend or go out cruising with your mates. If you want to keep the van on your day off you have to tell them 2 days before so that they can hire a replacement. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Priceless .................... :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:FFS, is RM running a free car hire for new starters without a vehicle - it is totally unheard of in my office for anyone to take a vehicle home. There is no justification for it. How would it be if I was to claim mileage from home to work because someone else is using a van and fuel provided by RM. Are there no regulations which apply across the board.
If there's no parking space for the van at the Delivery Office then it's in Royal Mail's interests for you to take it home, :Very Happy and it's safer parked on your drive in the better side of town :crazy: than on the street outside the DO at the back end of the town centre. :Very Happy
Right so whose problem is the "no parking" ? I'll bet some neighbours just love the idea of RM hogging parking spaces, because the vans on the drive and the cars in the street or more likely the vans in the street. I don't believe that employees should be responsible for employers vehicles outside of working hours.
There's space on the drive for two cars and a van, so no need to park in the street. :Very Happy like :shock:
Others park work vans at home too so no problems with the any neighbours. :Very Happy like :shock:
I'm no more responsible for the van outside of working hours than during working hours, in fact less so because there's not the added responsibility of driving responsibly. :Very Happy like :shock:
So just to cut a long story short -you and those like you are getting subsidised travel, whilst the rest of us pay for it - unless of course you are putting your own fuel in the vehicle.
If there's nowhere for the van to be securely parked at the Delivery Office then I am doing Royal Mail a favour, which I don't mind doing, in looking after the vehicle when it is not in use. :Very Happy
If that were not the case I would most likely walk to and from the D O, so I'm not getting 'subsidised travel'. :sad:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:FFS, is RM running a free car hire for new starters without a vehicle - it is totally unheard of in my office for anyone to take a vehicle home. There is no justification for it. How would it be if I was to claim mileage from home to work because someone else is using a van and fuel provided by RM. Are there no regulations which apply across the board.
If there's no parking space for the van at the Delivery Office then it's in Royal Mail's interests for you to take it home, :Very Happy and it's safer parked on your drive in the better side of town :crazy: than on the street outside the DO at the back end of the town centre. :Very Happy
Right so whose problem is the "no parking" ? I'll bet some neighbours just love the idea of RM hogging parking spaces, because the vans on the drive and the cars in the street or more likely the vans in the street. I don't believe that employees should be responsible for employers vehicles outside of working hours.
There's space on the drive for two cars and a van, so no need to park in the street. :Very Happy like :shock:
Others park work vans at home too so no problems with the any neighbours. :Very Happy like :shock:
I'm no more responsible for the van outside of working hours than during working hours, in fact less so because there's not the added responsibility of driving responsibly. :Very Happy like :shock:
So just to cut a long story short -you and those like you are getting subsidised travel, whilst the rest of us pay for it - unless of course you are putting your own fuel in the vehicle.
If there's nowhere for the van to be securely parked at the Delivery Office then I am doing Royal Mail a favour, which I don't mind doing, in looking after the vehicle when it is not in use. :Very Happy
If that were not the case I would most likely walk to and from the D O, so I'm not getting 'subsidised travel'. :sad:






You wouldn't be if you did walk but you don't so it is subsidised travel -as for doing RM favours :Sick
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:FFS, is RM running a free car hire for new starters without a vehicle - it is totally unheard of in my office for anyone to take a vehicle home. There is no justification for it. How would it be if I was to claim mileage from home to work because someone else is using a van and fuel provided by RM. Are there no regulations which apply across the board.
If there's no parking space for the van at the Delivery Office then it's in Royal Mail's interests for you to take it home, :Very Happy and it's safer parked on your drive in the better side of town :crazy: than on the street outside the DO at the back end of the town centre. :Very Happy
Right so whose problem is the "no parking" ? I'll bet some neighbours just love the idea of RM hogging parking spaces, because the vans on the drive and the cars in the street or more likely the vans in the street. I don't believe that employees should be responsible for employers vehicles outside of working hours.
There's space on the drive for two cars and a van, so no need to park in the street. :Very Happy like :shock:
Others park work vans at home too so no problems with the any neighbours. :Very Happy like :shock:
I'm no more responsible for the van outside of working hours than during working hours, in fact less so because there's not the added responsibility of driving responsibly. :Very Happy like :shock:
So just to cut a long story short -you and those like you are getting subsidised travel, whilst the rest of us pay for it - unless of course you are putting your own fuel in the vehicle.
If there's nowhere for the van to be securely parked at the Delivery Office then I am doing Royal Mail a favour, which I don't mind doing, in looking after the vehicle when it is not in use. :Very Happy
If that were not the case I would most likely walk to and from the D O, so I'm not getting 'subsidised travel'. :sad:






You wouldn't be if you did walk but you don't so it is subsidised travel -as for doing RM favours :Sick
"if you did walk but you don't" - what gives you that idea, and do you also assume that I own a car ? :shock:
axeman
Posts: 1733
Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 17:57

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by axeman »

the van going home with the driver is going to be stoped soon as things are in place :shock:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

axeman wrote:the van going home with the driver is going to be stoped soon as things are in place :shock:
and quite right too.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:to and from the D O, so I'm not getting 'subsidised travel'. :sad:"if you did walk but you don't" - what gives you that idea, and do you also assume that I own a car ? :shock:
No I assume you take a van home and unless you push or free wheel it, then you are using the vehicle and fuel that belongs to RM and whether you have a car or not is immaterial.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Can you take a raoyal mail van home ?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:to and from the D O, so I'm not getting 'subsidised travel'. :sad:"if you did walk but you don't" - what gives you that idea, and do you also assume that I own a car ? :shock:
No I assume you take a van home and unless you push or free wheel it, then you are using the vehicle and fuel that belongs to RM and whether you have a car or not is immaterial.
I don't dispute that the 'fuel belongs to RM' but if there's nowhere for the van to be parked at the Delivery Office what's the alternative ?