ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How do you get to your round?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by DGP1 »

Stormproof wrote:All vans at my office, all the convey duties have gone so we all have our own van or have to double up. No one uses their own cars, if caught doing so you will be taken down the conduct route. The WHOLE county has the same rule.
:shhhhh :shhhhh :shhhhh calpsy will cry if he can't use his 'brand new BMW' :wink:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
calpsy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 491
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by calpsy »

DGP1 wrote:
Stormproof wrote:All vans at my office, all the convey duties have gone so we all have our own van or have to double up. No one uses their own cars, if caught doing so you will be taken down the conduct route. The WHOLE county has the same rule.
:shhhhh :shhhhh :shhhhh calpsy will cry if he can't use his 'brand new BMW' :wink:
As i said before .... jealousy is a nasty thing . I see u got the bone .
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by DGP1 »

calpsy wrote:
DGP1 wrote:
Stormproof wrote:All vans at my office, all the convey duties have gone so we all have our own van or have to double up. No one uses their own cars, if caught doing so you will be taken down the conduct route. The WHOLE county has the same rule.
:shhhhh :shhhhh :shhhhh calpsy will cry if he can't use his 'brand new BMW' :wink:
As i said before .... jealousy is a nasty thing . I see u got the bone .
Image
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
R@YAL F@IL
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by R@YAL F@IL »

Jaggs wrote:In answer to the opening question I get there with a rather nice chap called Ron in a shared van.
Dig you, you smoothie :wink:
NO bags on shoulders please except for Moya who keeps her big fat wage packet in hers
bensonhedge
Posts: 448
Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by bensonhedge »

car #simples
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by fishtank »

bensonhedge wrote:car #simples
Don't put yourself down like that..we would never call you #simples. :angel
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by arnold cheshire »

on the van how else by 747 ?
RetroJunkie
Posts: 165
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
Gender: Female

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by RetroJunkie »

Either walk or a manager drops me out for my absorption depending on which duty is being absorbed for that week.

Then depending which driver is on for the full duty i'm covering have them drop me to the first point.
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by Caniel »

I cycle out and it's 3.3 miles from the office.
R5Rich
Posts: 41
Joined: 28 Feb 2011, 21:57
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by R5Rich »

Well I cycled out today annoyingly my driver was waiting to get my bags to drop em off. I get to my first street and he has dropped some guy off with his bike in the back and they are stood having a fag and a chat! wtf is that all about.

Round took me 2 hours over today, it's in an area I have never been to entire time I have lived in Swindon. It's a crap round everyone seemed to laugh when I said I was on it "O yeah that one".
Claimed for 2 hours overtime will see if I get it in the morning.

Would I get in trouble if I told them I am unwilling to work past my time tomorrow? At the interview they ask about OT etc.. and I am fine with it, when asked. Every job I have worked before if they want you to do overtime they ask you, not expect it of you.
I don't mind doing some but being a reserve and round changing every week Mondays are always long for me.
R5Rich
Posts: 41
Joined: 28 Feb 2011, 21:57
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by R5Rich »

If I was to say tomorrow I have plans so can't work past my time what would happen?
Bit unsure of what procedures they follow as it's not really explained to you at any stage its bits you hear here and there.

I have read they do some sort of walk test to see if you are walking quick enough? Should all the rounds be doable in that time? Do I need to find out from others how long it takes? I don't walk slow on purpose either believe me there are other things I want to be doing.
R@YAL F@IL
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by R@YAL F@IL »

Listening to these queries from fellow posties like: Am I walking too slow or can I bring mail back is astonishing in that if Park and Loop has been in the pipeline for nearly 2 years in the planning and that a Park and Loop duty is going over it's duty time all it tells me is that Royal Mail do not give a damn, in fact these line managers are instructed to bully you into getting the job done within the duty time so that they can pick up their bigger than yours pay packet, if they were proper managers then the Park and Loop duties would be manageable, so just stand up to the blighters and do the job how they want it by using the trolley, taking your meal relief, not starting before your time and checking your van using the time given so that if you sort and walk at the correct time and speed then they cannot do a single jot against you.
I feel for the newish starters has they cannot take this stance so if us longer time served posties can help them out so they are not picked on then good on you. :Applause
NO bags on shoulders please except for Moya who keeps her big fat wage packet in hers
R5Rich
Posts: 41
Joined: 28 Feb 2011, 21:57
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by R5Rich »

Yeah thats the trouble I haven't been there long and don't want to push my luck.
I got crapped on in my last job being stuck on 1 job that was much harder than the others promised rotation etc.. never happened ended up injured and so forth so I am fed up of this already.

Surely they must know that a person starting a new round will almost always be slower on it than someone that usually does it, thats just how it works.
I want to say tomorrow I am not working past my 5 hours but am a bit fearful of the backlash :s
R@YAL F@IL
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by R@YAL F@IL »

R5Rich wrote:Yeah thats the trouble I haven't been there long and don't want to push my luck.
I got crapped on in my last job being stuck on 1 job that was much harder than the others promised rotation etc.. never happened ended up injured and so forth so I am fed up of this already.

Surely they must know that a person starting a new round will almost always be slower on it than someone that usually does it, thats just how it works.
I want to say tomorrow I am not working past my 5 hours but am a bit fearful of the backlash :s
The lad I worked with today was grateful that he was with me as we brought 4 bags back were as last week he like you stayed out until completion even though he needed to get home, he was with a do gooder and did not want to upset the apple cart, the lad is with me all week so for all week I will look after him and that is what fellow experienced posties should do.
Best tip for you tomorrow is speak with your Line manager as soon as you get in work and say sorry boss I need to finish on time today, hope that alright :wink:
NO bags on shoulders please except for Moya who keeps her big fat wage packet in hers
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: How do you get to your round?

Post by Lincox »

Best tip for you tomorrow is speak with your Line manager as soon as you get in work and say sorry boss I need to finish on time today, hope that alright

To apologetic Royal. You ring the Lino up, say that you are working to your contracted time today, do I leave any estimated surplus in the frame or do I take it out and bring it back to the office on my completion. The ball is then in his court, where it should be.