Waiting on bags is a H&S issue.
If you have been working your muscles will have warmed up. While you are waiting for your bags your muscles will cool down and become less elastic.
When the bags arrive and you start to work again you are far more likely to injure yourself, especially if you try to rush to make up for the time lost waiting on a driver.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Waiting for bags !
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16736
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Waiting for bags !
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Waiting for bags !
Don't get it,the idea is to go out with the van,get dropped to your round and while you are doing your 1st bag the driver does the bag drops.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Waiting for bags !
That's how i always thought it worked...POSTMAN wrote:Don't get it,the idea is to go out with the van,get dropped to your round and while you are doing your 1st bag the driver does the bag drops.
The only guys who ever waited on bags in our D.O. were the flyers who went out in their cars before the van driver was ready...and well....who cares about them?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Waiting for bags !
Say posties take out their first hours mail (one bag would be a lot less than that for me). When it takes 1.5 hrs to drop all the bags off it means someone someone will have to wait. Unless, some how all first bags could be dropped off first. In my office the person dropping the bags off has to start at one end of town, and work towards the other end. That means the person at the other end of town has to take their second bag out with them.POSTMAN wrote:Don't get it,the idea is to go out with the van,get dropped to your round and while you are doing your 1st bag the driver does the bag drops.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Waiting for bags !
Feck me,a van can only take so many posties,how long is the vans bag drop route?NewPostieUK wrote:Say posties take out their first hours mail (one bag would be a lot less than that for me). When it takes 1.5 hrs to drop all the bags off it means someone someone will have to wait. Unless, some how all first bags could be dropped off first. In my office the person dropping the bags off has to start at one end of town, and work towards the other end. That means the person at the other end of town has to take their second bag out with them.POSTMAN wrote:Don't get it,the idea is to go out with the van,get dropped to your round and while you are doing your 1st bag the driver does the bag drops.
Worse case,drop off the 1st bag on troubled rounds.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72773
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Waiting for bags !
It happens at our place a few times - normally when a reserve driver is on or a walker is late out.
The reason is because we are not conveyed out, we get bus passes and make our way out. The drivers are instructed to do the bags and prios at the same time
Once I got out at 0940 - 1st letter 10am - last letter first bag 1045 - first letter 2nd bag 12:05 - still finished on time though.
The reason is because we are not conveyed out, we get bus passes and make our way out. The drivers are instructed to do the bags and prios at the same time
Once I got out at 0940 - 1st letter 10am - last letter first bag 1045 - first letter 2nd bag 12:05 - still finished on time though.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16736
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Waiting for bags !
The worst is when the van has broken down and you can sit there for f***ing ages because the knobs in the office don't bother to make any effort to phone round.
In our DO not all the bag drops for a walk are done by the same driver.
The driver who conveys you isn't always the same driver who drops off the last bags.
In our DO not all the bag drops for a walk are done by the same driver.
The driver who conveys you isn't always the same driver who drops off the last bags.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
David01
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 25 May 2011, 20:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Waiting for bags !
feelikeadogsbody wrote:homerj wrote:Our office has changed the driver & route quite a few times & at the mo I am waiting half an hour for my bags I have asked that they be on time & the manager knows I am waiting for them every day, he informs me that it's changing soon but for now my bags are late most days ! this can't be acceptable can it ?
even given this frustrating practice I still finish early so I can't kick up a fuss can i ?
Are you on crack, if this is all you have to moan about you've got it made, i think your an attention seeker if i was your driver you would be waiting for 2 hours in fact i would drop em in the wrong place a couple of times to give you something proper to moan about
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Waiting for bags !
There's about a dozen part timers covering the town, so thats about 60 bags to drop off. Some take out their first two bags, and some use cars, so it's usually less than that.POSTMAN wrote:Feck me,a van can only take so many posties,how long is the vans bag drop route?
Worse case,drop off the 1st bag on troubled rounds.
The driver does specials, packets etc, but doesn't drop off postmen.
-
homerj
- Posts: 53
- Joined: 25 Feb 2011, 19:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Waiting for bags !
Varied views,
Firstly I load my 1st bag to the max with half of what used to be in bag 2 to allow me to cover more ground before the bags arrive.
I don't blame the van driver at all, it's management that are making this driver be in 3 places at once & all on different sides of town...
I don't take my break so I think I should finish half an hour b4 the end of my shift to in theory take my break but as I say I still finish early, it's annoying that I am twiddling my thumbs waiting if the RM is really in dire straights then I would rather be working for this time weather it be on my walk or elsewhere in the office but sat on my proverbial backside is a waste of my time & RM's money don't u think ?
Firstly I load my 1st bag to the max with half of what used to be in bag 2 to allow me to cover more ground before the bags arrive.
I don't blame the van driver at all, it's management that are making this driver be in 3 places at once & all on different sides of town...
I don't take my break so I think I should finish half an hour b4 the end of my shift to in theory take my break but as I say I still finish early, it's annoying that I am twiddling my thumbs waiting if the RM is really in dire straights then I would rather be working for this time weather it be on my walk or elsewhere in the office but sat on my proverbial backside is a waste of my time & RM's money don't u think ?