ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

royal mail interview

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
arty_morty
Posts: 282
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: royal mail interview

Post by arty_morty »

Vespacol wrote:Cheers Arty but what happens I'n the interview :Very Happy :pray
It was a set of structured questions based on hypothetical and actual situations from your past work and personal life. "Tell me about a time you had to deal with an irate customer" and that sort of thing. I think they look for certain key responses as my DOM made notes when I said certain things. The whole interview lasted about 30 minutes and was quite relaxed.

I did have a kind of preliminary interview with some HR chap who went over my CV again, which lasted about 10 minutes and then I went in with the DOM.
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
Vespacol
Posts: 33
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Kettering

Re: royal mail interview

Post by Vespacol »

Thanks all iam still shi :whistle :whistle ing bricks ive had to have a drink :cuppa not tea :Very Happy , reading things on here has made me think !!!!

I post back after the interview :hmmmm
Work hard and do your best get the sack like all the rest !
G Bolster
Posts: 26
Joined: 13 Jan 2011, 19:45
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail interview

Post by G Bolster »

Having had two recent interviews, they appear to ask a standard set of questions...
From memory....

Why do you want to work for RM?
I was advised to say that both the teamwork aspect in the sorting office and the individual working element out doors appealed to me.
I also mentioned that I thought that RM and Postmen/women were still held in high regard by the public and I enjoyed helping people and providing a good customer service in what I considered to be a responsible occupation.

Give an example of when you have had to work alone?
What do you consider the advantages of working alone?
What do you consider the disadvantages.....

Give an example of when you have worked as part of a team?
As above.....


Give an example of when you have been responsible for something of value?

Give an example of when you have had to work to a deadline?

Give an example of when you have had to work on your own initiative?


They may ask you about your fitness and activity levels

Also your willingness to be flexible


If the job involves driving they may ask if you are happy or have had any experience driving a van?

Like most interviews they usually end by asking if you have any questions for them?
Apparently it is bad form not to have a question to ask so think about this in advance - perhaps ask about the hours
and if these were likely to be increased because obviously you are very keen to work overtime!!!!

Obviously this is not a complete list but hopefully it will help. Good luck with your interview.
I was given a piece of advice once regarding coping with nervousness at an interview..... It was basically that the guy interviewing
you has a s**t everyday. (In RM's case probably on some poor postman!!!)
Vespacol
Posts: 33
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Kettering

Re: royal mail interview

Post by Vespacol »

Thanks just got back was not as bad as I thought it was going o be :dance

Just got to wait till next Friday he said to find out if succsefull :hmmmm

But he said I did very well so fingers crossed ....
Work hard and do your best get the sack like all the rest !
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail interview

Post by wiganpostie »

Vespacol wrote:Thanks just got back was not as bad as I thought it was going o be :dance

Just got to wait till next Friday he said to find out if succsefull :hmmmm

But he said I did very well so fingers crossed ....
If you don't hear anything by next Friday don't give up hope..I had to chase HR for a few weeks (by phoning them) to find out I had the job - you could do the same, but just be polite when you are doing it, obviously :cool
RED FRANKIE
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 20:49
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail interview

Post by RED FRANKIE »

Hi everyone

Im new to this forum, I was after a bit of advice if possible

I had an interview last week and got an email 2 days later saying passed - congratulations! I had been shown round the sorting office etc so was quite positive too but was still relieved and pleased.

The email had a standard 'welcome' from the chairman! - new starter booklet and a few other things attached like what to expect on the induction day etc- I was told they would be back in touch shortly.

Today I got an email saying once again well done BUT we dont have a vacancy right now but will keep you on file for 3 months - I can feel free to apply for other posty jobs if I spot them within my area and I can go direct to a HR email address and not have to go through the full process again ( should anything else 'local' come up of course)

What is all this likely to mean?? Does anyone think I will get my local office , as I thought I had done, within 3 months ??

Anyone had anything similar?? And if nothing down in 3 months is that the end of it and would I have to start again?

I would be so grateful for any advice I am gutted really needed this job

Thanks everyone
Vespacol
Posts: 33
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Kettering

Re: royal mail interview

Post by Vespacol »

I had a email yesterday saying congratulations I had passed my interview/assessment and iam through to the next stage They will be I'n contact with me I'n a couple of days :nana

But today on my email job alerts for Royal Mail , i got a mil saying they are advertising I'n my town again ? Should I be worried ? Worse still to come is that I went onto my application status on the website and it was updated today unsuccessful ??????? :confused :confused :confused

But no contact to me by email stating so ?
One day excited and over the moon the next worried and depressed :nervous
Work hard and do your best get the sack like all the rest !