ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Lost a recorded delivery

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by taurus88 »

Just act stupid and you'll be fine.

"A recorded letter? What's one of them there recorded letters, bossman?"
"Lost? It wasn't me that lost no letter, bossman, I swears it. Must be the Union boys stole it, bossman."
sidewinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 348
Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by sidewinder »

Indy wrote:
SexyLegs wrote:best case scenario 1 Yr Reprimand, worst case scenario Dismissal
Are you SERIOUS? :crazy:
About 2 year ago I no accessed a recorded, put the letter at back of bundle and posted by mistake in the last house. Unfortuantly they were on holiday for a week. I got a two year serious fir this even though the letter was eventually recovered. My Dom was a absolute s**t. First offence as well.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Don't lose any sleep robtor. I've lost "SPECIALS" before now (although only temporarily) :Very Happy

We all make mistakes, Funniest one I had (not at the time) was in an Army Married Quarters Area. I 739d a Special on Saturday. Got back to the office, couldn't find it and spent the week end worrying about it. Went out on Delivery Monday and as I was following my usual route across an open piece of grass....Surprise ...I found my "Missing" Special lying on the grass. It must have fallen out the bottom of me bag! :dance Luckily most squaddies go home for the week end and obviously it was far enough out of sight not to be spotted! Learnt me lesson.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by OnAFlyer »

sidewinder wrote:
Indy wrote:
SexyLegs wrote:best case scenario 1 Yr Reprimand, worst case scenario Dismissal
Are you SERIOUS? :crazy:
About 2 year ago I no accessed a recorded, put the letter at back of bundle and posted by mistake in the last house. Unfortuantly they were on holiday for a week. I got a two year serious fir this even though the letter was eventually recovered. My Dom was a absolute s**t. First offence as well.
That's pure comedy. Our locker man doesn't even bother asking how many recordeds we've got. Most days I can't even remember and just hand the card in when i've done. I wouldn't hand it in if i'd lost one though :shhhhh
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by Spedley »

I've done it before although only once. I mentioned it to the locker when I got back and never heard from it again - if the customer doesn't complain then there isn't a problem. I've also posted the signature card with the letter although I got that back again later! I've posted next doors cheque book into a house buy pushing open the letterbox with my 'bundle' finger and the cheque book sliding off and into the house.

I've delivered several million letters since I've been working for RM and despite anyones best efforts mistakes happen, especially with RMs shift from service to profit. Apoligise, try and trace the problem and don't let it happen again.
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by George door to dawes »

I would have carried on as normal and denied all knowledge of the incident! Any other company i would have owned up and tried to rectify my mistake but i would never admit to any slip up with these a**holes in charge.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by Indy »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Don't lose any sleep robtor. I've lost "SPECIALS" before now (although only temporarily) :Very Happy

We all make mistakes, Funniest one I had (not at the time) was in an Army Married Quarters Area. I 739d a Special on Saturday. Got back to the office, couldn't find it and spent the week end worrying about it. Went out on Delivery Monday and as I was following my usual route across an open piece of grass....Surprise ...I found my "Missing" Special lying on the grass. It must have fallen out the bottom of me bag! :dance Luckily most squaddies go home for the week end and obviously it was far enough out of sight not to be spotted! Learnt me lesson.
Things USED to be so different! RM seemed to take a common sense approach to this sort of thing. NOBODY intentionally loses an SD/Reg unless they want to nick it but thats a whole different ball game.

A couple of months after I'd first started I lost my signing card with 5 SD's on it. Had a terrible weekend of worrying myself sick (was more worried that people would think I'd nicked them!) Went into the office and came clean with the DOM who was very decent about it... "these things happen" "Be more careful" etc etc then about 2 hours later the RLE guy came up to me and said my card had been found on the floor on the Friday in the loading bay and handed in.... I could have kissed him!
If that had happened now? :pray

When working in the RLE a 739'd SD got mixed up with the RTS :d'oh! and took a 10 day (I kid you not) holiday before turning up in the IPS sorting one morning! Took it straight to the Callers :oops: where nobody was any the wiser... apart from me! who now keeps the two TOTALLY separate
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by Himaggen »

crockboy wrote:If it was me and i had put a p739 in and was asked later about a recorded delivery that i'd knew i'd lost, I'd have still acted dumb Cantona and said well i pouched everything off at the local postbox. :)
I hope that the person whose job it is to collect your pouched off stuff, (who you have deliberately implicated by your cowardly actions), doesn't know who you are and knocks seven bells out of you. NOT
George door to dawes wrote:I would have carried on as normal and denied all knowledge of the incident! Any other company i would have owned up and tried to rectify my mistake but i would never admit to any slip up with these a**holes in charge.
It's not your employers you're turning over it's your colleagues, they are the ones who will come under suspicion, that sort of selfish attitude make me sick.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Himaggen wrote:
crockboy wrote:If it was me and i had put a p739 in and was asked later about a recorded delivery that i'd knew i'd lost, I'd have still acted dumb Cantona and said well i pouched everything off at the local postbox. :)
I hope that the person whose job it is to collect your pouched off stuff, (who you have deliberately implicated by your cowardly actions), doesn't know who you are and knocks seven bells out of you. NOT
George door to dawes wrote:I would have carried on as normal and denied all knowledge of the incident! Any other company i would have owned up and tried to rectify my mistake but i would never admit to any slip up with these a**holes in charge.
It's not your employers you're turning over it's your colleagues, they are the ones who will come under suspicion, that sort of selfish attitude make me sick.
Never had to "Pouch Off" at Post offices, or any where else. How can you "leave" a special unless someone has to sign for it? Thought the idea of a Special was you had to sign for it every time it changed hands? :shock:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by wiganpostie »

One time, I did exactly what you described, only I was lucky enough to notice that I had posted the recorded letter along with the P739 (I only realised just as the offending items left the tips of my fingers), thus saving me a lot of worry and puzzlement. Nothing came of it, and I suspect your case will be the same.
SexyLegs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 393
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by SexyLegs »

SexyLegs wrote:Honestly.............depending on your relationship with your DOM, best case scenario 1 Yr Reprimand, worst case scenario Dismissal.

Own up straight away, apologise straight away, do everything you can think of to retrieve it and hopefully you'll get away with a reprimand, in todays climate I would expect the worst.............sorry but that's how it is.
Sorry, read this all wrong, thought you meant a 'Special'.................if it's just a recorded then I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over, I hear an awful lot of posties just peel off the orange label and post them as if a normal letter, that's what I hear!

Nowt will come of it mate, sleep easy :)
countyboy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 121
Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by countyboy »

Robtor wrote:Well no i'm the opposite, I have barely spoken to the DOM but i'm the guy who never says a bad word to anyone, even when being put on different walks daily and regularly working late and almost never claiming it.
The only thing I would like to say with complete certainty regarding all the various points on this issue is that....You will get zero, nil, nothing, minus, sweet fa, less than zero, thanks or credit for working late and not claiming. In fact, quite the opposite the DOM and his linos will be lauging their heads off at what a mug you are...
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by fishtank »

In most cases an honest mistake will be dealt with as an honest mistake.
Deliberate deception on the other hand will almost certainly be dealt with as gross misconduct probably leading to dismissal.
You can choose which ever advice you like to follow in this thread.
You don't need to be a rocket scientist. :left:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by wacko74 »

Not so long ago I managed to post 3 specials through without getting signatures for any of them all on the same day!
I honestly haven't got a clue how I managed such an achievment and told the DOM as much, never heard any more about it.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: Lost a recorded delivery

Post by Indy »

SexyLegs wrote:
SexyLegs wrote:I hear an awful lot of posties just peel off the orange label and post them as if a normal letter, that's what I hear
Had a recorded sent to me personally* a while back... strangely found it on the mat at home with a barcode missing. Did a T&T and saw that my name was printed and a scrawl for the signature... obviously the the posties! Not sure if he knew a postie lived at the address by all the payslips etc or if s/he normally does it but thought it a tad bit cheeky.

From a personal POV I wouldn't do it as its possible that a customer intent on causing trouble COULD claim they hadn't received the item. When investigated the postie would have to admit signing for it then whats to disprove the customers claim that they signed for it so they could steal it? The only benefit the the postie is saving 30 seconds in writing out a 739!

Its just SOOOOO not worth it!

*The actual item was worth £72 + P&P I have to admit that delivering to a big council estate where drugs etc etc are a big problem might effect my view on this and that maybe if I was delivering to a 'nice' area (where I live) I might think differently.. whose knows?

EDIT: BTW I have nothing against people that live on council estates! just the druggies, benefit thieves etc etc
Last edited by Indy on 02 Jun 2011, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.