ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Tying up walks you have never done before

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

Frame Bottom Right to top left or t'other way round

Bottom Right - Top Left
4
4%
Top Left - Bottom Right
57
55%
Bottom Left - Top Right
39
38%
Top Right Bottom Left :crazy:
2
2%
Who cares its my frame f**k the reserves
2
2%
 
Total votes: 104

krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by krussel »

Always been top left to bottom right in Pegasus :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by clashcityrocker »

fishtank wrote: Shall we start a poll?
I think we should.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
johnnyp
Posts: 5239
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: SE ENGLAND

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by johnnyp »

NewPostieUK wrote:
RetroJunkie wrote: just with me i'm just doing whatever needs doing basically, as i didn't even end up with a float of 5 duty's over 5 weeks, i just got nothing basically in the resign so i'm just being bounced around so to speak and covering what needs covering.
You shouldn't be doing walks you haven't been trained on. I too get bounced around, and do whatever needs doing, BUT thats only bounced around the duties I have been trained on. I've only ever been asked to do a duty I haven't been trained on. I assumed I was being trained on it when I was told to do it. After half an hour I found that manager and said theres no one here. He said what do you mean, your doing it. I explained that I wasn't trained on that duty and wouldn't be doing it alone until I was.

Just be firm with them.
Rubbish :cuppa A postie with 1 year or more service should be able to do any walk as long as a map is provided.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

johnnyp wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
RetroJunkie wrote: just with me i'm just doing whatever needs doing basically, as i didn't even end up with a float of 5 duty's over 5 weeks, i just got nothing basically in the resign so i'm just being bounced around so to speak and covering what needs covering.
You shouldn't be doing walks you haven't been trained on. I too get bounced around, and do whatever needs doing, BUT thats only bounced around the duties I have been trained on. I've only ever been asked to do a duty I haven't been trained on. I assumed I was being trained on it when I was told to do it. After half an hour I found that manager and said theres no one here. He said what do you mean, your doing it. I explained that I wasn't trained on that duty and wouldn't be doing it alone until I was.

Just be firm with them.
Rubbish :cuppa A postie with 1 year or more service should be able to do any walk as long as a map is provided.
Not mine - if a reseve gets stuck on mine they always struggle with the top row. Mind you 1 street isn't a street. 1 address is on another street entirely, 2 shops share the same number and there are alleys that cut the dead walking down. Good job I do a walk brief even if I get the pissed ripped out of me. :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

clashcityrocker wrote:
fishtank wrote:The state that some duty holders allow their frames to get into is embarrassing.
Anybody should be able to pull out a walk blind.
It should run from bottom left to top right and start/finish points should be clearly marked on the frame.
To quote an idiot...you don't need to be a rocket scientist etc. :cuppa
Top left to bottom right surely? :hmmmm
Or are you one of those left handers who does everything backwards?
Bottom left to top right in our depot... So I cannot vote! :crazy:
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by clashcityrocker »

Whoever did the poll must have made a mistake.
You couldn't possibly have bottom right to top left because you would be tying up the whole walk backwards.
If this is being implemented by planning teams it would explain why the revisions are failing.
Are people expected to walk backwards at 4mph as well?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Where's the Bottom Left to Top Right Option, That's the one FT started this conversation with! :shock:

You mention you're 3 weeks into a Re-sign of Duties. Was this your Revision. Surely your Frames would have been Up-Dated with new shelf edge labels. :shock:

Our old shelf edge labels used to have a pen mark for were each Bundle ended, but it did depend on how concerned the duty holder was for any Reserves! :d'oh!

You're probably just suffering from the initial shock of being messed around, after they lulled you into a False Sense of Security by leaving you on one Duty So long. :no no We've all been there, get yourself a note book and start making "Bundling lists" for each of the duties you do. After a while your notes should help you when you return to a Duty. Ask around one of your mates may already have some. Take a few minutes to search around the piles of paperwork on each frame. You'll often find old "Idiots Guides" from previous hapless souls. :crazy: Good Luck Mate. :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
SexyLegs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 393
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by SexyLegs »

All the info should be in the walk log, it's the responsibility of the duty holder to ensure anyone can go on the frame at any time and prep and deliver the round, pouch boxes should be marked and a key provided on the frame somewhere (not a metal key, you know what I mean) d2d opt outs should also be marked on the frame as well as being on the sheets handed out weekly.

Where possible real metal key numbers should be provided also, this is how my frame would be if I wasn't a f***in reserve, I'm on a duty all week this week, all d2d prepped and delivered today as it was the lightest day in the history of Royal Mail, 4 packets I had, 4 packets that wouldn't go through the door!

We're f***ed if this continues.........................10am I finished but went home till 1pm as I was on my home round thank f***!

Going off thread though, frame should be clear, concise and idiot proof..................most are not even close to this!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:My frame has a green slot for the start of the loop and a red slot for the end.
Every door is on there in the correct delivery sequence.
A monkey could tie it up...
I know my own limitations. :cuppa
Me Tarzan.......you cheetah......a la Johnny Weissmuller :Very Happy
RetroJunkie
Posts: 165
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
Gender: Female

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by RetroJunkie »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Where's the Bottom Left to Top Right Option, That's the one FT started this conversation with! :shock:

You mention you're 3 weeks into a Re-sign of Duties. Was this your Revision. Surely your Frames would have been Up-Dated with new shelf edge labels. :shock:


Our old shelf edge labels used to have a pen mark for were each Bundle ended, but it did depend on how concerned the duty holder was for any Reserves! :d'oh!

You're probably just suffering from the initial shock of being messed around, after they lulled you into a False Sense of Security by leaving you on one Duty So long. :no no We've all been there, get yourself a note book and start making "Bundling lists" for each of the duties you do. After a while your notes should help you when you return to a Duty. Ask around one of your mates may already have some. Take a few minutes to search around the piles of paperwork on each frame. You'll often find old "Idiots Guides" from previous hapless souls. :crazy: Good Luck Mate. :Very Happy
some seem to have new shelf edge labels and others don't, i mean christ its even as bad that the duty i was on last week had a label for some flats where the packets are suppose to go with a couple fillets, i forgot to take the mail out twice cause i had to keep remembering it was up there as im obv so use to just making sure there's no mail in the frame, also who did all the new fittings did cock alot of them up it seems.
RetroJunkie
Posts: 165
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
Gender: Female

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by RetroJunkie »

SexyLegs wrote:All the info should be in the walk log, it's the responsibility of the duty holder to ensure anyone can go on the frame at any time and prep and deliver the round, pouch boxes should be marked and a key provided on the frame somewhere (not a metal key, you know what I mean) d2d opt outs should also be marked on the frame as well as being on the sheets handed out weekly.

Where possible real metal key numbers should be provided also, this is how my frame would be if I wasn't a f***in reserve, I'm on a duty all week this week, all d2d prepped and delivered today as it was the lightest day in the history of Royal Mail, 4 packets I had, 4 packets that wouldn't go through the door!

We're f***ed if this continues.........................10am I finished but went home till 1pm as I was on my home round thank f***!

Going off thread though, frame should be clear, concise and idiot proof..................most are not even close to this!
never even heard of that let alone saw it, i mean christ they still aint got stickers up on the frame for how much a 6th is for each duty for every day.
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8953
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by blue1873 »

clashcityrocker wrote:
fishtank wrote:The state that some duty holders allow their frames to get into is embarrassing.
Anybody should be able to pull out a walk blind.
It should run from bottom left to top right and start/finish points should be clearly marked on the frame.
To quote an idiot...you don't need to be a rocket scientist etc. :cuppa
Top left to bottom right surely? :hmmmm
Or are you one of those left handers who does everything backwards?
I have to admit i have'nt tied down a walk in over ten years as i work
in a mail centre,but surely too goodness a frame has to be tied down
top left to bottom right and not arse over tit the way some offices
seem to do it.Sure there is the wee tricky parts in most walks that
wont fall in the strict layout of the frame but that should'nt be a
problem after a day or two to the average postie (or am i pushing it there)
there again sorting a frame bottom right to top left would be so like
RM and would explain why deliveries are so shambolic in some areas :crazy: :crazy:
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by NewPostieUK »

johnnyp wrote: Rubbish :cuppa A postie with 1 year or more service should be able to do any walk as long as a map is provided.
We get two days training on each new duty.

Having said that, experienced posties who live in the area, would probably be OK.

Of all the duties I cover, my first day on each duty was the first time I'd ever been near that area. I didn't know the streets existed.

As for maps, I've never seen a map in my office ever.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by Dorset Plodder »

[quote="SexyLegs"]All the info should be in the walk log, it's the responsibility of the duty holder to ensure anyone can go on the frame at any time and prep and deliver the round,]

You sound like a Manager Sexy, No Disrespect! :Very Happy That's what they always say. The Walk Log is just an Umbrella to cover a Managers arse! Totally unrealistic to expect a Reserve to Read through "The Big Red Book" often full of totally irrelevant, and out of date , information. :no no

Agree with what you say concerning the Duty holder keeping an up to date frame, and I would like a simple 1 or 2 page laminated sheet with the Bundling List, Bag Drops, Key Nos etc...something that a Reserve could "Reasonably" be expected to read. :pray Truth is a lot of posties simply don't give a s**t about trying to help their colleagues out. :arrrghhh
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: Tying up walks you have never done before

Post by REDLETTER »

fishtank wrote:My frame has a green slot for the start of the loop and a red slot for the end.
Every door is on there in the correct delivery sequence.
A monkey could tie it up...
I know my own limitations. :cuppa
Are you trying to be a manager? :wink: :Very Happy :Very Happy Sorry for the insult :Very Happy

I tried that, even marked the D2Ds on the slots for each day, so there was no mistake if they got left for some reason! :whistle

Until someone nicked a few of the red slot dividers

The cover/reserve/chap dragged in off the street could do it!

Even had the walk planned out in the walk log for using a car :shhhhh (wash my mouth out :nana ) Until that got stolen.

And the re-directions were kept tied up in frame order, that is until I go on annual leave and then I find them chucked anywhere on top of the frame :Very Happy

Not to mention the kill-off stickers...........and blue crayons (anyone ever watch Monk on TV :dance )