ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Somebody please help- vacant duty stolen.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: Somebody please help- vacant duty stolen.

Post by smokerjim »

Postman Plodd wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:sobricket
Whaddaya think of it so far? RUBBISH! :Very Happy
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
Postman Plodd
Posts: 596
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 15:53
Gender: Male

Re: Somebody please help- vacant duty stolen.

Post by Postman Plodd »

i wont quit the day job just yet then





i'll just wait until the pay and conditions are insufferable or they find a spurious reason to fire me

boom boom

*tap tap*

Is this thing on!?!?
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Somebody please help- vacant duty stolen.

Post by dvbuk55 »

Postman Plodd wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:sobricket
No I never it was DGP
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Somebody please help- vacant duty stolen.

Post by dvbuk55 »

Postman Plodd wrote:i wont quit the day job just yet then





i'll just wait until the pay and conditions are insufferable or they find a spurious reason to fire me

boom boom

*tap tap*

Is this thing on!?!?
Hope so...we don't want any little "accidents" do we now :chuckle
Postman Plodd
Posts: 596
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 15:53
Gender: Male

Re: Somebody please help- vacant duty stolen.

Post by Postman Plodd »

..said the actress to the bishop

Image
Wiggins79
Posts: 182
Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 11:25
Gender: Male

Re: Somebody please help- vacant duty stolen.

Post by Wiggins79 »

Right everyone, got the letter written out and printed off. Sent a copy to the line manager, her boss, and to the union rep by special this morning. In the meantime, it's become clear they are quite aware in the office that I have a spare day as someone phoned up to check our staffing levels this week. The sub postmistress told them we were ok. 5 minutes later the phone goes again, this time from the temporary acting manager ( as our actual manager is once again away) wanting to know what I was doing on my spare day as she wanted to send me to another DO. Fortunately, as I already mentioned earlier, someone is off sick after an operation, so I had work to do in our do, but that ain't going to last forever. Any advice what to do before any action happens regarding my letter? My intention was to say I couldn't use my car, and can only get to my DO. Then the sub postmistress pointed out that they always manage to find someone to pick you up if you try that one on, but leave you to find your own way back. If they did that, then my intention was to tell them I was classing my arrival at my own DO as my start time, and however long it took to finish wherever I'm sent and get back to my own DO I was going to claim as working time and soon rack up OT. I was also going to refuse to use public transport and using a taxi as I know this will have to come out of my own pocket to be claimed as some distant time in the future. The last time I had to go to another office and I claimed travel for the petrol it took 3 months to get it. So I was going to say I won't carry any cash on me as I am concerned about getting mugged, which would be my excuse for not using buses or taxi's so I'd have to walk back to my own DO unless they provided transport back (which I know they won't). I'm prepared for an uphill struggle and intend to make it as difficult as possible for them. Am I within my rights to do all this?
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Somebody please help- vacant duty stolen.

Post by dvbuk55 »

In short Yes you can make it as difficult as possible and remember any travel between the two offices is part of your duty time.
Broxi51
Posts: 1154
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
Location: Scotland

Re: Somebody please help- vacant duty stolen.

Post by Broxi51 »

If they want to send you to another DO, just show up at your own at your start time. It is up to them to transport you there and back within your duty time.
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.
Wiggins79
Posts: 182
Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 11:25
Gender: Male

Re: Somebody please help- vacant duty stolen.

Post by Wiggins79 »

Yeah, that's what I thought. No doubt thought they are going to start quoting some unheard of rule. Thanks guys.