ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

vans and walks in hot weather....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
internetguy
Posts: 183
Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by internetguy »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
internetguy wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:
internetguy wrote:Mmmmmmm.....warm water.......
trust me it isnt warm put it behind the seat you first class mup pet take the advice or shove it you could buy cornettos then or 99s from from the ice cream van :ncfo
does it shite stay cool behind the seat, you sound as dim as my dom...... :vcfo
it does stay cool behind the seat try it tommorow and let me know ok ?
course i will bud, an i truely hope your right because at the moment im melting.......
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by arnold cheshire »

internetguy wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:
internetguy wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:
internetguy wrote:Mmmmmmm.....warm water.......
trust me it isnt warm put it behind the seat you first class mup pet take the advice or shove it you could buy cornettos then or 99s from from the ice cream van :ncfo
does it shite stay cool behind the seat, you sound as dim as my dom...... :vcfo
it does stay cool behind the seat try it tommorow and let me know ok ?
course i will bud, an i truely hope your right because at the moment im melting.......
make it at least 2 litre bottle im using two 2 litre bottles tommorow 4 litres im on rural so i can go toilet quite easy
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by POSTMAN »

A lot depends on how much uniform you're wearing i suppose...
Image
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by wiganpostie »

taurus88 wrote:Re: drinking warm water. Put a couple of bottles of water in the freezer the night before, if it's going to be a hot day. They will thaw out throughout the day but will retain much of their coldness until at least late morning.
That's what I do, and the bottles will normally have a couple of small icebergs floating around in them around midday, allowing me to partially re-enact my favourite scene from Titanic, where DI Caprio dies horribly, slipping away into the icy, murky depths and frozen oblivion.
jessthecat
Posts: 67
Joined: 15 Jul 2009, 15:47
Gender: Male

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by jessthecat »

Yeah...let's suspend deliveries now because it's too hot....too icy...too windy...too etc!!! Wtf! I picked cauliflowers, apples, courgettes, strawberries, bannanas, etc whilst I was in Australia in 40c plus temps! :coolr
I used to take a few bottles of water into the fields. Freeze one half full of water and top it up with cold water before you go out.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by taurus88 »

jessthecat wrote:Yeah...let's suspend deliveries now because it's too hot....too icy...too windy...too etc!!! Wtf! I picked cauliflowers, apples, courgettes, strawberries, bannanas, etc whilst I was in Australia in 40c plus temps! :coolr
I used to take a few bottles of water into the fields. Freeze one half full of water and top it up with cold water before you go out.
Ha ha - I guess you and I must be some of the foolhardy few who actually enjoy rather than endure the hot weather. Personally, I like nothing better than being out in the middle of the heat. Maybe it's because I plan ahead, take precautions, and best of all, that I am an outdoors person, even if it isn't always good for me.

Since I've been at RM, I've seen people worrying about freezing cold weather and boiling weather, and managers giving us 'advice' on both. In this country, we don't really suffer either to too great an extreme, and in spite of the 'helpful advice', I would like to think that we weren't all born yesterday, and should be able to look after ourselves.

And yes, I do fundamentally agree that being exposed to temperatures in excess of 25 degrees over a prolonged period, especially on a clear day when the exposure to the sun is constant, is unhealthy. And yes, I would prefer to be out earlier and finished earlier, before the worst of it. However, I happen to think that, if you look after yourself, you'll be okay.

Wear a hat, apply plenty of sun cream, take frequent breaks, drink lots of water.
Postman Plodd
Posts: 596
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 15:53
Gender: Male

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by Postman Plodd »

And remember never leave your postie locked in a car in hot weather.
internetguy
Posts: 183
Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by internetguy »

wow !!!, its really good to know that because some people cope better with heat, we all should......... :arrrghhh
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by taurus88 »

internetguy wrote:wow !!!, its really good to know that because some people cope better with heat, we all should......... :arrrghhh
If this was Sparta, they'd have weeded you weaklings out at birth ;-).
internetguy
Posts: 183
Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by internetguy »

taurus88 wrote:
internetguy wrote:wow !!!, its really good to know that because some people cope better with heat, we all should......... :arrrghhh
If this was Sparta, they'd have weeded you weaklings out at birth ;-).
:chuckle
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by taurus88 »

internetguy wrote:
taurus88 wrote:
internetguy wrote:wow !!!, its really good to know that because some people cope better with heat, we all should......... :arrrghhh
If this was Sparta, they'd have weeded you weaklings out at birth ;-).
:chuckle
Don't laugh - RM's 2014 ("to infinity and beyond") agreement with the C.W.U. includes an advanced breeding strategy to create the postmen of the future. Any who do not meet the initial 'birth parameters' shall be euthanised.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

taurus88 wrote:Re: drinking warm water. Put a couple of bottles of water in the freezer the night before, if it's going to be a hot day. They will thaw out throughout the day but will retain much of their coldness until at least late morning.
I do this - 1 take 1 cold drink and 1 frozen drink - the frozen one keeps the other cool and then is usually defrosted enough when you have drunk the other - I suually take 2 x 75mlt or 2 x 1lt bottles every day - still feel the heat at the end of the day.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

jessthecat wrote:Yeah...let's suspend deliveries now because it's too hot....too icy...too windy...too etc!!! Wtf! I picked cauliflowers, apples, courgettes, strawberries, bannanas, etc whilst I was in Australia in 40c plus temps! :coolr
I used to take a few bottles of water into the fields. Freeze one half full of water and top it up with cold water before you go out.

I have also worked in Australia, a small place in the outback called Maralinga - and I worked 12 hour days and did PT in temperature of 45C - the difference we were acclimatised - with the British Weather its difficult to do that as they reckon full acclimatization takes about 21 days.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by krussel »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:they reckon full acclimatization takes about 21 days
Your not wrong Teebs here in the UK the temp can drop 20 dec C in just 21 hours :d'oh!
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: vans and walks in hot weather....

Post by George door to dawes »

I guess you have to remember that everyone handles the heat different. As a pasty blond person working out in the heat is pretty horrible for me! And us part timers actually do full day in the sun and dont get to sneak off home at 12! :chuckle