ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Protests over parcel changes
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Protests over parcel changes
http://www.rhyljournal.co.uk/news/99322 ... anges.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PROTESTS are mounting over a shake up in the parcel delivery service.
People in Prestatyn have been angered by news that local post offices may no longer hold on to their parcels, forcing them to collect from the sorting office in Rhyl.
Cllr Anton Sampson of the East Prestatyn ward said: “We were promised that we could pick up our undelivered mail from the small post offices by the Royal Mail when the main Prestatyn office closed down. It has worked admirably up till now. I can’t believe they are thinking of going back on their own word.”
Cllr Sampson said tthe sub post-offices on Meliden Road, Victoria Road and in the High Street Spa, were convenient for people who could not drive and avoided a round trip of up to an hour on public transport to Rhyl.
He said: “The Royal Mail have benefited from a rise in internet sales and they need to remember the customer. This is quite a big deal for Prestatyn as we have a lot of elderly residents.”
Cllr Sharon Frobisher said that the news made her “angry” and that the issue would be raised by the Town Council.
She said: “The current facility is helping local post offices, but the Royal Mail seem to be changing their minds. There are people out there who rely on public transport and I think that even people in Gronant will have to go to Rhyl.”
A Royal Mail spokesman said that they were proposing to make some changes to the operations at Rhyl delivery office to ensure they provide a high quality service as efficiently as possible, and that there were alternative methods of delivery, including re-delivery, designating a “safe drop” or using another address, such as a neighbour.
He said: “The proposed changes will be discussed with local subpostmasters in Prestatyn to agree how we continue to provide a mail collect service for customers who were out when the postman called.”
PROTESTS are mounting over a shake up in the parcel delivery service.
People in Prestatyn have been angered by news that local post offices may no longer hold on to their parcels, forcing them to collect from the sorting office in Rhyl.
Cllr Anton Sampson of the East Prestatyn ward said: “We were promised that we could pick up our undelivered mail from the small post offices by the Royal Mail when the main Prestatyn office closed down. It has worked admirably up till now. I can’t believe they are thinking of going back on their own word.”
Cllr Sampson said tthe sub post-offices on Meliden Road, Victoria Road and in the High Street Spa, were convenient for people who could not drive and avoided a round trip of up to an hour on public transport to Rhyl.
He said: “The Royal Mail have benefited from a rise in internet sales and they need to remember the customer. This is quite a big deal for Prestatyn as we have a lot of elderly residents.”
Cllr Sharon Frobisher said that the news made her “angry” and that the issue would be raised by the Town Council.
She said: “The current facility is helping local post offices, but the Royal Mail seem to be changing their minds. There are people out there who rely on public transport and I think that even people in Gronant will have to go to Rhyl.”
A Royal Mail spokesman said that they were proposing to make some changes to the operations at Rhyl delivery office to ensure they provide a high quality service as efficiently as possible, and that there were alternative methods of delivery, including re-delivery, designating a “safe drop” or using another address, such as a neighbour.
He said: “The proposed changes will be discussed with local subpostmasters in Prestatyn to agree how we continue to provide a mail collect service for customers who were out when the postman called.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Protests over parcel changes
"Cllr Sampson said tthe sub post-offices on Meliden Road, Victoria Road and in the High Street Spa, were convenient for people who could not drive and avoided a round trip of up to an hour on public transport to Rhyl." - "up to an hour on public transport" - it's five minutes each way on the train and Rhyl Delivery Office is just a five minute walk round the corner from the railway station, so perhaps they're doing a bit of sightseeing in Rhyl too to pass the time. 
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: Protests over parcel changes
errr.. "Elderly residents" - always out then (probably at work
) ... re-deliver option ??
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Protests over parcel changes
Cllr Sampson said: “The Royal Mail have benefited from a rise in internet sales and they need to remember the customer. This is quite a big deal for Prestatyn as we have a lot of elderly residents.”
I want a Royal Mail utopia Cllr Sampson but sadly it's all about profit now and if ( more like when ) RM is privatised the feelings of customers will be the last thing on senior managements minds . There are going to be a lot of pigs at the trough who will need feeding and complaints about elderly residents having to travel long distances to pick up parcels will just fall on deaf ears or end up in the paper bin .
It's a shame that the anti-government feeling towards the privatisation of our forests isn't being replicated in the privatisation of our RM . The vast majority of the British public don't want RM to be privatised but at the moment for most people it's just an opinion and don't want to mobilise themselves behond that point . If RM is privatised after just a whimper of public protest then as a whole the British public deserve all they get .
In my opinion the British Public as a whole have sent a message to the government , you can make vicious cuts to health and social care , further education , libraries , the Citizen advice bureau and voluntary run charities etc etc . You can privatise Royal Mail and knock UK working conditions back forty years but woe betide you if you sell our forests .
I want a Royal Mail utopia Cllr Sampson but sadly it's all about profit now and if ( more like when ) RM is privatised the feelings of customers will be the last thing on senior managements minds . There are going to be a lot of pigs at the trough who will need feeding and complaints about elderly residents having to travel long distances to pick up parcels will just fall on deaf ears or end up in the paper bin .
It's a shame that the anti-government feeling towards the privatisation of our forests isn't being replicated in the privatisation of our RM . The vast majority of the British public don't want RM to be privatised but at the moment for most people it's just an opinion and don't want to mobilise themselves behond that point . If RM is privatised after just a whimper of public protest then as a whole the British public deserve all they get .
In my opinion the British Public as a whole have sent a message to the government , you can make vicious cuts to health and social care , further education , libraries , the Citizen advice bureau and voluntary run charities etc etc . You can privatise Royal Mail and knock UK working conditions back forty years but woe betide you if you sell our forests .
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Protests over parcel changes
Cllr Anton Sampson is a Welsh Conservative , I didn't know there was such a thing , six months ago I would have said there is more chance of seeing a postie out after 2.00 pm on a Saturday than seeing a Welsh Tory . Now I've seen both .
A Welsh Tory complaining about Royal Mail cut backs , you coudn't make it up .
A Welsh Tory complaining about Royal Mail cut backs , you coudn't make it up .
-
not me
- Posts: 2735
- Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
- Gender: Female
- Location: Uranus
Re: Protests over parcel changes
its 4 miles
some folks in our delivery office area are further than that from the office already
you want modernisation folks,well here it is
BTW its a 55 mile round trip to my 'local' citylink office
some folks in our delivery office area are further than that from the office already
you want modernisation folks,well here it is
BTW its a 55 mile round trip to my 'local' citylink office
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Protests over parcel changes
Both John Prescott and Carol Vordeman were born in Prestatyn - and you can see why they've moved so far away and keep quiet about the fact.skull wrote:Cllr Anton Sampson is a Welsh Conservative , I didn't know there was such a thing , six months ago I would have said there is more chance of seeing a postie out after 2.00 pm on a Saturday than seeing a Welsh Tory . Now I've seen both .
A Welsh Tory complaining about Royal Mail cut backs , you coudn't make it up .
-
claire9122
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 25 Jul 2010, 21:53
- Gender: Female
Re: Protests over parcel changes
13 Vans making an additional 9 mile round trip, 18 postpersons, extra 15minutes travelling time......circa £600 a WEEK.
The public, 350 extra trips to Rhyl, carbon emissions, cost to local economy, loss of footfall in our town.....
Soloution carry on paying the local Post Offices the average £15 a week each.
Do the maths, modernise!
Common sense appears to have prevailed, someone appears to have worked out how to use a calculator.
Kenny Gibson, Royal Mail Delivery Sector Manager, North Wales, said:
"As part of the ongoing modernisation of Royal Mail’s local delivery practices across the UK, we are proposing to make some changes to our operations at Rhyl Delivery Office. When the delivery office at Prestatyn was merged with our delivery office in Rhyl two years ago, we arranged for packets that could not be delivered on the day, to be collected at one of four post offices in Prestatyn. We have no plans to alter that arrangement and we will continue to offer this service to our customers in Prestatyn.”
PooH Bear
The public, 350 extra trips to Rhyl, carbon emissions, cost to local economy, loss of footfall in our town.....
Soloution carry on paying the local Post Offices the average £15 a week each.
Do the maths, modernise!
Common sense appears to have prevailed, someone appears to have worked out how to use a calculator.
Kenny Gibson, Royal Mail Delivery Sector Manager, North Wales, said:
"As part of the ongoing modernisation of Royal Mail’s local delivery practices across the UK, we are proposing to make some changes to our operations at Rhyl Delivery Office. When the delivery office at Prestatyn was merged with our delivery office in Rhyl two years ago, we arranged for packets that could not be delivered on the day, to be collected at one of four post offices in Prestatyn. We have no plans to alter that arrangement and we will continue to offer this service to our customers in Prestatyn.”
PooH Bear
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Protests over parcel changes
Ok fess up people...who's Kenny?annejohnson wrote:Hi Kenny,do you remember me? I used to work with you at Royal Mail in Chester,Station Road. I'm an ex P.H.G. It's Anne Johnson! I have being trying to get in touch with you. Could you please call me on 01244 545988. Hope you are well & I wish you a Merry Xmas!
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Protests over parcel changes
Kenny Gibson, Royal Mail Delivery Sector Manager, North Wales, said:fishtank wrote:Ok fess up people...who's Kenny?annejohnson wrote:Hi Kenny,do you remember me? I used to work with you at Royal Mail in Chester,Station Road. I'm an ex P.H.G. It's Anne Johnson! I have being trying to get in touch with you. Could you please call me on 01244 545988. Hope you are well & I wish you a Merry Xmas!
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16702
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Protests over parcel changes
Isn't it a bit bizarre to stick your phone number in a public forum?
I bet DGP has already phoned her.
And why if your user name is annejohnson would you feel the need to announce - it's Anne Johnson?
I bet DGP has already phoned her.
And why if your user name is annejohnson would you feel the need to announce - it's Anne Johnson?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Protests over parcel changes
Have i wondered into an episode of the twilight zone?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Kenny Gibson, Royal Mail Delivery Sector Manager, North Wales, said:fishtank wrote:Ok fess up people...who's Kenny?annejohnson wrote:Hi Kenny,do you remember me? I used to work with you at Royal Mail in Chester,Station Road. I'm an ex P.H.G. It's Anne Johnson! I have being trying to get in touch with you. Could you please call me on 01244 545988. Hope you are well & I wish you a Merry Xmas!
Are people having conversations with quotes now?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Pinky 1
- Posts: 1510
- Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Wales
Re: Protests over parcel changes
Hi Anne, do you remember me ?annejohnson wrote:Hi Kenny,do you remember me? I used to work with you at Royal Mail in Chester,Station Road. I'm an ex P.H.G. It's Anne Johnson! I have being trying to get in touch with you. Could you please call me on 01244 545988. Hope you are well & I wish you a Merry Xmas!
No, thought not
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
-
Pinky 1
- Posts: 1510
- Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Wales
Re: Protests over parcel changes
You want to try working for them councillor, this is an everyday occurance*I can’t believe they are thinking of going back on their own word.”
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Protests over parcel changes

Mate's rates available
good times, bad times you know I've had my share