ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why start early?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: Why start early?

Post by REDLETTER »

Pat Ostman wrote:Calspy, what would you do if a manager spots you at home 2 hours early. Fast forward next day its quizzed and an extra row is eventually fitted on your frame?
Would he be sitting there with you wife having a cuppa tea! :Very Happy

I make sure I fill up my day........if it looks like I'm gonna be early I have time to deal with my customers (have a chat), if I'm late I rush past them (Sorry I'm in a hurry) and try and finish on time,it is a rare day when I finish early!

Use to come in early until a Lino told me to sit in the canteen, the Full Timers didn't like the fact we were up to speed with them! :no no

Since the DOM has blatantly said you can come in early, I replied you gonna pay me! We all know what the response was.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Why start early?

Post by NewPostieUK »

Thanks to people coming in early, I have a packet man asking me for my packets before I've even started.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Why start early?

Post by DGP1 »

There's a Monty Python sketch in this thread :wink:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
calpsy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 491
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
Gender: Male

Re: Why start early?

Post by calpsy »

Pat Ostman wrote:Calspy, what would you do if a manager spots you at home 2 hours early. Fast forward next day its quizzed and an extra row is eventually fitted on your frame?

As far as I am aware you are also not covered on health and safely grounds if you come in voluntarily early.
IE accident = not insured, should not have been there.
'
Wouldnt happen . They know where i live and they drive past when they are going home so if they WANTED to get me they would .

We are NOT told to come back to office .

SO a question to the jealous among you who CANT do as some of us do ........ IF you were allowed to finish when you posted last letter WOULD you ask for more to do until your finishing time ???? They wont answer cos if they DID they would embarrass themselves so dont hold your breath . :left:
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Why start early?

Post by OnAFlyer »

fishtank wrote:Park&loop has been binned in your office because in the offices that it has been introduced the majority of staff did the job properly and showed the system up as being costly and inefficient.
I dread to think what would have happened if it was introduced in an office full of early starters and "corner cutters".
I have heard the "If they do that i won't start early" from plenty of windbags and big talkers...but then i heard the same bollocks when they introduced "lapsing"...and all that happened was they came in even earlier and took even less of their break.
So how come P&L is still being introduced in other offices? Management will try it on where they think they can get away with it, they do it with individuals (B&H) and they do it with whole offices. The revision wouldn't have worked in our office, we know it and so do management.

I know some people would rather P&L was introduced anyway because they love failing and sending mail back, thinking it's getting one over on RM. Personally i'd rather just have a reasonable workload and comfortably finish on time.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Why start early?

Post by OnAFlyer »

calpsy wrote:Wouldnt happen . They know where i live and they drive past when they are going home so if they WANTED to get me they would .

We are NOT told to come back to office .

SO a question to the jealous among you who CANT do as some of us do ........ IF you were allowed to finish when you posted last letter WOULD you ask for more to do until your finishing time ???? They wont answer cos if they DID they would embarrass themselves so dont hold your breath . :left:
For 14 years I have done exactly the same as you - things are changing though and when vans are introduced it's return to office, I currently use one a few times a week and tbh I hate it. I just want to get on with it at my own pace and go home. I have worked past 1pm less than a dozen times in 14 years, that's until I started using a van and now it's most days.

Enjoy job and finish while it lasts, because it won't forever. Am I jealous? Hell yes. The f*cking idiots at the top haven't got a clue, they would get more done by letting people crack on and go home. As it is they'll get the minimum amount of work from me.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Why start early?

Post by fishtank »

OnAFlyer wrote: So how come P&L is still being introduced in other offices? Management will try it on where they think they can get away with it, they do it with individuals (B&H) and they do it with whole offices. The revision wouldn't have worked in our office, we know it and so do management.
Do you really think management came up with the whole concept of park&loop then took one look at your big strong militant office and s**t themselves?
Really....? :funneh
Come on flyer...even for you that's pushing it a bit. :chuckle :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
calpsy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 491
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
Gender: Male

Re: Why start early?

Post by calpsy »

Well ive been told its not happening at OUR office either AND LOADS more up here have been told the same so somethings up .

IF it did happen then boo hoo . I work to time and finish and go home . NO overtime . Would not bother me AT ALL ! !

My finishing time is 1.30pm . Most days its between 12.30 and 1.00 . Another half or hour wont kill me and to be honest wouldnt make me annoyed or bothered .

Just cant see it happening in our office .
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Why start early?

Post by BELIAL »

DGP1 wrote:There's a Monty Python sketch in this thread :wink:










i'm a f**k you all ,and I don't care . I wear my shorts and I just don't care;I got no brain ,don't feel no pain :chuckle
Bye
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32815
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Why start early?

Post by POSTMAN »

I think it's rather simple,just one liddle question...

Hand on heart,scouts honor,swear on your nans life,no crosses included,cross your heart and no veinlights,do those who,come in early,skip their breaks,and use they car,can they honestly say it has no baring at all on what goes on in the office when they and their chums do this.


PS:Not sure where the jealousy bit comes in. :hmmmm
PPS:If you say no,then you're liers!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: Why start early?

Post by smokerjim »

skull wrote:
calpsy wrote:
If your told you can go out early and finish after the last letter are you gonna say ....... No boss . That would mean im costing RM an hour . Im not willing to do that . :left:



Regarding people getting the ok to finish early . In my five previous jobs and this one , I've never seen anyone stay at work and come out with the statement " If you go early this will come back and bight you on the arse " . Now lets turn the table , when people are made to stay and have no other option , it must be easy to preach " though shall not finish early " . Is it a case of the green eyed monster ? .
If a manager offers you the right to finish early, that is his decision based on what his operational needs are at the time ( in full knowledge he will have to give you your full day's wage ), in plain English, it is in his opinion, a "treat", a bonus, and it should be treated as such, not as a right - the operative words being "his decision" & "his opinion"

The right for us to decide our own finish time was taken away in '07, the sooner some people cop on to that fact, the sooner things will start to improve for every OPG.
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: Why start early?

Post by smokerjim »

Following on from PM's questions, if a manager has a duty of care for his staff, shouldn't he stop staff from starting early and discipline them if they persist ( surely he'd be discipline if they hurt themselves and are not covered by the insurance )?

Also, if a manager asks an early finisher to take out a duty that has had to be lapsed ( ie someone has gone sick, or left mail behind, as they expect to cut off ), and they are refused, shouldn't that early finisher also be disciplined for failing to follow a reasonable request?

That's it & don't worry, I'm off to bed & will be leaving cloud cookoo land now :chuckle
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32815
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Why start early?

Post by POSTMAN »

1st one Jim,if there is a signing on sheet they are insured (from a area H&S rep)
2nd one :funneh :left: They would cry their eyes out.And yes,it's a reasonable request. :chuckle
Nite nite.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
MegaWalk
Posts: 27
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 22:49
Gender: Male

Re: Why start early?

Post by MegaWalk »

Dunno if this has reached many DO's yet - but in our area peeps now start at 7am and work on the P&L basis until approx 3pm.
That means later deliveries for most ( if not all ) punters - no real opportunities to "finish early" and yet some still come in early.
There's no doubt the early start / early finish attitude has now gone from our DO anyhow.
Probably likely to happen some time at most offices.
When it was "job and knock" you couldn't really blame anyone for wanting to get out and finish asap.
Times have now definitely changed - what advantage would starting early bring nowadays with P&L ?

If you still have it in your office - enjoy it while it lasts. It will change sooner or later.
Good luck.
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: Why start early?

Post by Pat Ostman »

Ahh, I was told you was not covered as Royal Mail would/could claim you should not have been there. And to be honest you shouldn't have been. Can Royal Mail be liable for every staff member they did not give explicit permission to be there?

They do love loop holes so I would personally not trust them.
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one