ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Post by BELIAL »

:left: :left: :left: Even Yanks aren't as stupid as British "doff your cap ,lucky to ave a job" peasants :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
Bye
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Post by wabbithunta »

Well.. where my brother lived in the USA in Penn, near to Scranton, their "local" postie delivered their mail in the afternoon, always after 3pm every day. That area could be classed as rural, although most of the area is similar to his. The nearest town is about 7 miles away and then they have to drive 3 miles down what they call a "dirt road" (it has a light tarmac surface to it) to deliver mail to all the houses in that area. My brother lived on the "main road" as other roads branched off it. The postie finished his duty each day around 5pm, although I have no idea what time he started though. It's mainly post boxes outside houses, and packets left on doorsteps if no-one in, as those roads were mainly used by locals, we're not talking "dueling banjo's" country either, no rednecks or the like either, just normal everyday people, so it was relatively safe to leave items, although some people had large "toolbox" type containers by their houses for this kind of thing. Not really the type of delivery that you would want as it snows heavily most years over the winter, dumping at least 2-3ft of snow there if it did snow and they could get snowed it most times but to be fair the local "council" do actually go out clearing the roads as and when needed. Snow chains are the order of the day there too. The postie used his own motor (4wheel drive SUV) to deliver mail.... and a huge bugger it was too! I never saw him get out of his motor either when I was staying there, he just had the window open and leant out to put mail in the post boxes by the road side and then leant on the horn to let you know there was mail for you.
There is a huge 8ft tall "chicken wire" type fence around his property too as there is hunting in some parts of that area too. Signs have to be posted on land there stating if hunting is allowed or not to make people aware too. As they have to put up with the local wildlife.. by that I mean bears (a small one was seen near to the house was and was about 2-3yrs old, and it left it's calling card too... of a pile of poo about 10yrds from the back garden! This bear was about 400- 500lb in weight, according to the neigbours, along with snakes and some were poisonous too, small herds of deer, wild fowl of vary types and also wild turkey (no doubt they were bloody livid around Thanksgiving too..!) lol No roadside streetlights either.. so at night it is so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face.. so no late deliveries.. or posties reading mail by lamplight, unless it's done inside the car! I don't know what the postie got in the way of tips at Xmas either.
So for that kind of money (55k pa) that may be why they get paid that amount.. lol
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
arty_morty
Posts: 282
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Post by arty_morty »

Well as I'm emigrating to the US later this year maybe I'll try to get a job as a mailman. Can't be any worse than here.
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
Lateagainpostie
Posts: 393
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 18:17
Gender: Male

Re: US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Post by Lateagainpostie »

Bloke in our office must earn at least that, he there's when I get in at 7am, again when I return from delivery and if I do an SA he's on the late run to the mail centre, 8 hr day + 6hrs per day overtime/SA rate, work it out for yourselves
If you love Man Utd, you'll love my forum Talkingreds
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Post by BELIAL »

:chuckle
Bye
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Post by Darren Bent »

arty_morty wrote:Well as I'm emigrating to the US later this year maybe I'll try to get a job as a mailman. Can't be any worse than here.
Keep a blog and us informed what it is like. As I would love to read about the job from ex UK postman oversea. Just to see what it is like outside Royal Mail.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Post by POSTMAN »

arty_morty wrote:Well as I'm emigrating to the US later this year maybe I'll try to get a job as a mailman. Can't be any worse than here.
USPS staff are seriously getting hammered,it is worse over there than here.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

POSTMAN wrote:
arty_morty wrote:Well as I'm emigrating to the US later this year maybe I'll try to get a job as a mailman. Can't be any worse than here.
USPS staff are seriously getting hammered,it is worse over there than here.
They also have a weird law about picketting as well. None of the british deck chairs and brazier type pickets, you have to keep walking round in circles. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Post by POSTMAN »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:
arty_morty wrote:Well as I'm emigrating to the US later this year maybe I'll try to get a job as a mailman. Can't be any worse than here.
USPS staff are seriously getting hammered,it is worse over there than here.
They also have a weird law about picketting as well. None of the british deck chairs and brazier type pickets, you have to keep walking round in circles. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I've seen loads of youtube videos like that i thought it was just their thing,not a law. :crazy:
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: US POSTAL STAFF ON 55k a year

Post by wabbithunta »

POSTMAN wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:
arty_morty wrote:Well as I'm emigrating to the US later this year maybe I'll try to get a job as a mailman. Can't be any worse than here.
USPS staff are seriously getting hammered,it is worse over there than here.
They also have a weird law about picketting as well. None of the british deck chairs and brazier type pickets, you have to keep walking round in circles. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I've seen loads of youtube videos like that i thought it was just their thing,not a law. :crazy:
I'm no legal expert but I don't think that it is a legal requirement to walk in circles or straight lines when on a picket line in the USA. It would seem that they do so to make sure that if they do have a picket line outside the place that is being picketed that they are not causing any obstruction that can be considered to be an illegal act. I've seen some picket lines in the USA where they are standing in groups, and are not blocking or obstructing pavements/sidewalks or entrances or exits etc. Walking, I would assume as people are moving all the time this would make it (the picketline) more noticeable this way. It would seem therefore that the legality of picket line requirements can, and do, vary from state to state in the USA. You would need to know what laws and regulations would be being breached if you did have a picket line so local laws as well as state laws would need to be looked at.

I found this BBC link about Americans picketing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7179782.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"