It would be equally narrow-minded not to try and present the likely circumstances in which the O.P. will be thrown into work at Royal Mail. Let's face it, there's a fundamental difference between being a new-start, on a 3- or 6-month contract, and being a ten-year man, even if you've seen the job change. A new-start in Royal Mail is the lowest of the low and is treated, by some managers, as a toy to be thrown around, then disposed of. A new-start will have no rights, will be bullied and coerced due to their ever deteriorating contract situation, and will be chucked from round-to-round like it's going out of fashion. Any noise of dissent and it could lead to a very precarious situation indeed. Personally, because I can stick it or leave it, it doesn't bother me being on a three-month contract. I can stand up for myself because I think that's more important than having a sh*tty part-time temporary job. But for others, it's never going to be like that. If you want the job, RM will make you work above and beyond the call of duty to keep it. It's not very nice at all.skull wrote:sidewinder wrote:Yes there are some good offices but if the op wants to join I would ask the posties from the office he's been given. I also have had a few jobs(5) in 31 years of working and I can say what rm has become, my old office is the example, I would run a mile. It became the worst job I ever had in the end although back in the 90s was the best.
Should I work for RM is the subject and forum members answering with a generalized NO is just a little narrow minded .
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
should i work for royalmail?
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
-
sidewinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 348
- Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
Agreed Taurus. Very much agreed.
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: should i work for royalmail?
Back to generalizations again. I started last June - had about a week "shadowing" with a work place coach (and was taught well) - and got put onto a walk where I've been ever since. My 6 month contract finished just after Christmas - but was renewed for another 6 months - obviously no dissent or major c*ck-up. I'm always offered o/t - I always look at my frame/packet bag(s) first before saying "yea or nay" (unless I've offered beforehand - and then I keep any promises made) ... I work my day off now and again - when it suits me ... I don't worry about any perceived "deteriorating contract situation" - I just get on with it. I reckon you're more likely to be treated as "the lowest of the low" by some of the old lags rather than the linos/managers - but that's just the same in ANY job .. give it time ...taurus88 wrote:A new-start in Royal Mail is the lowest of the low and is treated, by some managers, as a toy to be thrown around, then disposed of. A new-start will have no rights, will be bullied and coerced due to their ever deteriorating contract situation, and will be chucked from round-to-round like it's going out of fashion. Any noise of dissent and it could lead to a very precarious situation indeed.
... and I'll continue to push it - respect is a two-way thing - and it's done me no harm ... yet ...you can argue your corner without p*ssing people off (I believe it's called "dissent")
But then again my DO is in Utopia ... apparently ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Re: should i work for royalmail?
It's called 'being assertive'.As a new start on the same walk for 6 months ,I think one of your bubbles is about to burst. Good luck
Bye
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
If you asked someone if they are a man and they said no , it would probably dawn on the person asking that it was a woman .Theghost wrote:If he wanted reasons as to why then he should put that in the question too.
Are you a man or a woman? Yes or no?
Are you going to go into human biology to give me a more in depth answer that i never asked for?
Putting lady boys aside that is .
To presume every new starter is weak willed and won't be able to fight their corner is a bit presumptous . If they are a bit nieve all they need is a good postie or rep to take them under their wing and try and point them in the right direction. If someone is after a bit of advise and you can just get away with a straight yes or no , don't you think that's a bit ignorant or lazy , a straight yes and no will do .
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
And yours is a reverse-generalisation based seemingly on an even smaller sample size than my own (which is based on five offices - the five that I have friends in who I met at our initiation day). RM operates similarly everywhere. Of course it's dependent on where you work and how lucky you are and what side of the bed your boss gets out of on a morning. Nobody is disputing that. We are offering our own experiences to the individual, but to pretend that any of us are not unreliable narrators would be stupid. My advice to the O.P. would be to give it a shot but not expect too much. It could be heaven, it could be hell. Personally, my experience is right in the middle. But it depends as much on who you are as it does on where you are and who you work with as to whether you can stick it (even enjoy it).RedBagMan wrote:Back to generalizations again. I started last June - had about a week "shadowing" with a work place coach (and was taught well) - and got put onto a walk where I've been ever since. My 6 month contract finished just after Christmas - but was renewed for another 6 months - obviously no dissent or major c*ck-up. I'm always offered o/t - I always look at my frame/packet bag(s) first before saying "yea or nay" (unless I've offered beforehand - and then I keep any promises made) ... I work my day off now and again - when it suits me ... I don't worry about any perceived "deteriorating contract situation" - I just get on with it. I reckon you're more likely to be treated as "the lowest of the low" by some of the old lags rather than the linos/managers - but that's just the same in ANY job .. give it time ...taurus88 wrote:A new-start in Royal Mail is the lowest of the low and is treated, by some managers, as a toy to be thrown around, then disposed of. A new-start will have no rights, will be bullied and coerced due to their ever deteriorating contract situation, and will be chucked from round-to-round like it's going out of fashion. Any noise of dissent and it could lead to a very precarious situation indeed.
... and I'll continue to push it - respect is a two-way thing - and it's done me no harm ... yet ...you can argue your corner without p*ssing people off (I believe it's called "dissent")![]()
But then again my DO is in Utopia ... apparently ...
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: should i work for royalmail?
Fair point(s)
Just trying to "accentuate the positive" ... not something seen on here too much
Maybe - just maybe - I have been lucky so far ... maybe in time I will become one of the "grumpy old posties" ... but until then ...
Just trying to "accentuate the positive" ... not something seen on here too much
Maybe - just maybe - I have been lucky so far ... maybe in time I will become one of the "grumpy old posties" ... but until then ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
Theghost
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
The question never asked for explanations,So Yes or No is appropriate.
-
gremah
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 14:05
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
You know whats funny most of you claim to hate your job but you spend your spare time posting on a forum about it !!
-
Indy
- Posts: 977
- Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
Its a form of therapy... seriously!gremah wrote:You know whats funny most of you claim to hate your job but you spend your spare time posting on a forum about it !!
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
LOL you aint even in the door yet!gremah wrote:You know whats funny most of you claim to hate your job but you spend your spare time posting on a forum about it !!
Don't forget where we are when you eventually get in.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Re: should i work for royalmail?
Fair point also . The trains were very punctual in the third Reich and inflation did fall by 16,000,000 %,every cloudRedBagMan wrote:Fair point(s)![]()
Just trying to "accentuate the positive" ... not something seen on here too much![]()
Maybe - just maybe - I have been lucky so far ... maybe in time I will become one of the "grumpy old posties" ... but until then ...
Bye