ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
should i work for royalmail?
-
sheff postie
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 131
- Joined: 04 Feb 2011, 22:01
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
Sorry malcolm got to disagree with you! How do you explain the number of 20 + years service people in the job? The reason people dont leave is the job is fairly easy compered to steel works or coal mine (yorkshire bloke talking
) and the pay is in my opinion very good for the work we do. Go and see how much a leaflet deliver will get paid and see if you would swap. When i was on delivery's 4 people left for something better and 3 returned within a year, the other was training to be a teacher while doing delivery's and left for a teaching job, something which he wanted to do. The grass is always greener until you get there.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
The job on delivery has changed beyond all recognition in the last 5 years.
The reason there are so many 20+ guys is that the first 15 of those years to be quite honest...were a piece of piss.
No-one puts 20 years into a job and walks away unless they either have a plan b or no choice and with that service seniority will protect you from the worst..
If you have been through a full WS/DM revision you will know that the biggest change for most is yet to come.
It's the guys with 5-15 years that will suffer the most...they will remember better times but won't have the seniority for protection.
We'll see what effect that has on opinions.
The reason there are so many 20+ guys is that the first 15 of those years to be quite honest...were a piece of piss.
No-one puts 20 years into a job and walks away unless they either have a plan b or no choice and with that service seniority will protect you from the worst..
If you have been through a full WS/DM revision you will know that the biggest change for most is yet to come.
It's the guys with 5-15 years that will suffer the most...they will remember better times but won't have the seniority for protection.
We'll see what effect that has on opinions.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
sidewinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 348
- Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
I done 14 before I jacked it so I saw from decent job/conditions/ managers who were approachable and knew the job etc to a job that became hell on earth. Extra d2ds, huge walks, managers who couldnt find their own ass holes....could go on. Granted, there are some good offices and I did work in one not long before I left that was decent, but they hadn't had any sort of revision at that time. The question is should you work for them? I would say take you're chance it's up to you. Personally, I would run a mile.
-
minimumstandard
- Posts: 134
- Joined: 28 Jul 2010, 12:17
- Gender: Male
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
I've noted down all the usernames of forum members who have said no . Giving allowances for the catastrophic ConDem idea of putting people out of work , they can have 10 years to find a better job . If they are still posting in 10 years I will want to know why . 
No seriously , If your not happy I hope you find whay you're looking for . I hated my last job and couldn't understand why people liked it , factory work now that's soul destroying .
No seriously , If your not happy I hope you find whay you're looking for . I hated my last job and couldn't understand why people liked it , factory work now that's soul destroying .
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
It is the direction the job is heading that is worrying skull.
That is why the more senior guys are generally more worried.
If the rate of decline continues..how will this job look in 10 years?
That is why the more senior guys are generally more worried.
If the rate of decline continues..how will this job look in 10 years?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
I do worry what the future holds working for RM . With privatisation looming it's mainly job security and wages for me , regarding workload I have already maxed out because I can't physically do anymore .
I don't know what the future holds but at the moment I still think being a postie is still a good little number . I've had 6 different jobs and even now being a postie is still the best .
I don't know what the future holds but at the moment I still think being a postie is still a good little number . I've had 6 different jobs and even now being a postie is still the best .
Last edited by skull on 10 Feb 2011, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
-
Theghost
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
skull wrote:I've noted down all the usernames of forum members who have said no . Giving allowances for the catastrophic ConDem idea of putting people out of work , they can have 10 years to find a better job . If they are still posting in 10 years I will want to know why .
No seriously , If your not happy I hope you find whay you're looking for . I hated my last job and couldn't understand why people liked it , factory work now that's soul destroying .
Who says im looking for another Job?
I said No because new starters are treated appalingly,They are manipulated into working the way a manager wants them to work,New people in my office think cutting off on your finish time is willfull delay,They are told lies,Not even introduced to docket sheets and pissed about and s**t on so much its terrible.
So please dont think because i advised No that i want out,Im 16 years in and know how to treat the bully managers,They would love rid of me and many more who have been there a while,But its tough,I will only go over when it suits me,Work my hours and no more,As should everyone,This is why partly why the place is in such a shambles.
If enough posties stuck together and did the Job as it should be,NO COMING IN EARLY,NO PRIVATE CARS,NO RUNNING,NO OVERWEIGHT BAGS,TAKING MEAL BREAKS,Then perhaps they would never have the idea to make rounds as big as they are and realying on new starters to develop into Robots and Praying for old hands to balls up so they can sack us,But too late now eh
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
Theghost wrote:skull wrote:I've noted down all the usernames of forum members who have said no . Giving allowances for the catastrophic ConDem idea of putting people out of work , they can have 10 years to find a better job . If they are still posting in 10 years I will want to know why .
No seriously , If your not happy I hope you find whay you're looking for . I hated my last job and couldn't understand why people liked it , factory work now that's soul destroying .
Who says im looking for another Job?
I said No because new starters are treated appalingly,They are manipulated into working the way a manager wants them to work,New people in my office think cutting off on your finish time is willfull delay,They are told lies,Not even introduced to docket sheets and pissed about and s**t on so much its terrible.
So please dont think because i advised No that i want out,Im 16 years in and know how to treat the bully managers,They would love rid of me and many more who have been there a while,But its tough,I will only go over when it suits me,Work my hours and no more,As should everyone,This is why partly why the place is in such a shambles.
If enough posties stuck together and did the Job as it should be,NO COMING IN EARLY,NO PRIVATE CARS,NO RUNNING,NO OVERWEIGHT BAGS,TAKING MEAL BREAKS,Then perhaps they would never have the idea to make rounds as big as they are and realying on new starters to develop into Robots and Praying for old hands to balls up so they can sack us,But too late now eh
Point taken but I don't think it's every new starter . There will be some good offices with good reps , Every new starter should be pointed towards these forums to help them out
-
sidewinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 348
- Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
Yes there are some good offices but if the op wants to join I would ask the posties from the office he's been given. I also have had a few jobs(5) in 31 years of working and I can say what rm has become, my old office is the example, I would run a mile. It became the worst job I ever had in the end although back in the 90s was the best.
-
sheff postie
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 131
- Joined: 04 Feb 2011, 22:01
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
I think the trouble new starters have is they are on 3 month rolling contracts if im not mistaken (which i often am) which means if they cause too many waves they will be released. I havent done delivery's for 5 years so can't talk with any authority and the direction it was going was a major factor in me jumping ship to disribution. I would still give the job a go if i was out of work.
-
sheff postie
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 131
- Joined: 04 Feb 2011, 22:01
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
Total agrement with this, we have caused many of the problems we are now facing.Theghost wrote:
If enough posties stuck together and did the Job as it should be,NO COMING IN EARLY,NO PRIVATE CARS,NO RUNNING,NO OVERWEIGHT BAGS,TAKING MEAL BREAKS,Then perhaps they would never have the idea to make rounds as big as they are
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
sidewinder wrote:Yes there are some good offices but if the op wants to join I would ask the posties from the office he's been given. I also have had a few jobs(5) in 31 years of working and I can say what rm has become, my old office is the example, I would run a mile. It became the worst job I ever had in the end although back in the 90s was the best.
Should I work for RM is the subject and forum members answering with a generalized NO is just a little narrow minded .
-
Theghost
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
If he wanted reasons as to why then he should put that in the question too.
Are you a man or a woman? Yes or no?
Are you going to go into human biology to give me a more in depth answer that i never asked for?
Are you a man or a woman? Yes or no?
Are you going to go into human biology to give me a more in depth answer that i never asked for?
-
sidewinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 348
- Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
- Gender: Male
Re: should i work for royalmail?
Why narrow minded simple question yes or no but with a bit of backed up explanation.skull wrote:sidewinder wrote:Yes there are some good offices but if the op wants to join I would ask the posties from the office he's been given. I also have had a few jobs(5) in 31 years of working and I can say what rm has become, my old office is the example, I would run a mile. It became the worst job I ever had in the end although back in the 90s was the best.
Should I work for RM is the subject and forum members answering with a generalized NO is just a little narrow minded .