ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

p & l cancelled

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by Dorset Plodder »

They do like to Test the new duties on Mon or Tues when it's light! :no no Plus it's a historically light period of the year. We had a Rural duty tested on 75% of DPs, and only 4 parcels. :crazy: When was the last time anyone took out only 4 parcels? It still came in 15 mins over, and the DIM thought that was quite good! :arrrghhh
Got kicked out by the Rep who said he wanted tested with a "Realistic" amount of mail. :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by POSTMAN »

jobies wrote:our union rep told us yesterday it wont be coming in at our office as Pegasus cant do loops,said it can only go left.

is this true ??
P&L is in and pegasus is used lol

Thread moved to 2010.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
sacs r full
Posts: 39
Joined: 02 May 2010, 09:34
Gender: Female

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by sacs r full »

tell him you want park and loop in and you want your one in four saturdays off like agreed. my day off is a tuesday will i ever get a saturday off. :dance
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by POSTMAN »

unhappyCumbria wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:
jobies wrote:our union rep told us yesterday it wont be coming in at our office as Pegasus cant do loops,said it can only go left.

is this true ??
Might explain why one of our boys was out until 10pm the other week on delivery :shock: :nana
Was that Skull? :left:
Dem liddle loops,i dunno.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by skull »

unhappyCumbria wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:
unhappyCumbria wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:
jobies wrote:our union rep told us yesterday it wont be coming in at our office as Pegasus cant do loops,said it can only go left.

is this true ??
Might explain why one of our boys was out until 10pm the other week on delivery :shock: :nana
Was that Skull? :left:
Dem liddle loops,i dunno.
Skull is from my office :shock: ... how did you know that Postman :chuckle ... Every Little Helps :left:
Becauase I told them unhappycumbria ,you and me mentioning the Barrow office might of gave it away . Don't worry your ID is secret but I think I know who you are , only kidding I haven't got a clue . We do have to be careful with the information we post onto this forum incase our ID is exposed , I'm sure managers will be trawling this sight .

No it was'nt me who worked until 10.00pm doing 2.5 duties in one day . J started at 06.00 and his last letter was 21.45 , people reading this may think it's bull sh*t but me , unhappycumbria and all the posties at the Barrow-in-Furness office no it's true , this is no urban myth . The office was falling apart and I think he wanted to be in the North West Evening Mail for going the extra mile for RM and it's customers , sorry 10 miles . The worrying thing he is an intelligent guy , maybe he had a brainstorm . If I know J , I think he will be happy his achievment has been mentioned on this forum. I'm happy just tackling our 2 P&L duties thank you very much and finishing between 14.15 and 15.45.

I'm in a lose lose situation here , I've got himaggen saying I'm cutting corners and Postman suggesting it was me out until 10.00pm :left: .
docket
Posts: 31
Joined: 30 Dec 2008, 00:11
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by docket »

bandit650 wrote:The park and loop is in dispute due to welfare breaks,the planners in thier wisdom have made no provisions within the dutie span for anyone to use a Loo so all revision work is at a stop.
Does anyone know of an office that has park and loop that works and what are they doing about comfort breaks?
At LS8 we was told to use shop loos if available or knock on residents doors.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by POSTMAN »

docket wrote:
bandit650 wrote:The park and loop is in dispute due to welfare breaks,the planners in thier wisdom have made no provisions within the dutie span for anyone to use a Loo so all revision work is at a stop.
Does anyone know of an office that has park and loop that works and what are they doing about comfort breaks?
At LS8 we was told to use shop loos if available or knock on residents doors.
LOL and you guys said...
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by rhino49 »

Ours starts on Monday with the various aspects (pda's, larger parcel carrying, etc) being introduced as we get used to new walks and partnerships in the vans. Also for the first week or so we will be allowed to use cycles and/or trolleys to assess the differences in workload and time required to do the duties. Half the office starts immediatley with the rest (it's a split postcode)following approximately 4 weeks later. We have all had input into loop planning, duty splits etc and all that remains is a mass swapping of access keys and codes on monday morning. Local satchel boxes will still be available to use if required where a loop requires more than the planned two bags . Fingers crossed that the work that went into it helps us through this barmy excercise.

I think the biggest problem will be the indoor work as we still have people who sort IPS for walks we had two revisions ago. God only knows what the missorts will be like now we are having another one. The sequencing machines will no doubt help but as they are based in our office - the satellite DO's will be done first although our move to later starting on many of the duties will probably accomodate that to some degree. The days have been equalised for the most part with slightly shorter Saturday and Tuesday but nowhere near the two hours differences we used to have.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
brandydoguk
Posts: 53
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 10:26
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by brandydoguk »

They did some tests on some of the loops in our district. The planner did a couple on my walk, as it happened he had only one attendance call on both loops and he still went over his time. They've shown the georoute plan won't work so now they're planning on simply pairing walks as they are together and the posties take everything, SDs, tracked, oversize packets etc. They're trying a couple out next week. I think it's a stopgap measure just to get some use out of the vans before their MOTs run out. :Very Happy
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by Himaggen »

skull wrote:I've got himaggen saying I'm cutting corners
Once again you have completely failed to take on board what I said, I didn't say you were cutting corners, I said that you were not doing the job properly, as you are employed to do.
Your employer decided to not involve you or request local input when designing your delivery methods revision. When they were provided with valuable feedback during the stage process, they completely ignored all of it and 'their system' remained unchanged.
The quickest and most effective way to prove that they should have taken the feedback on board and to effect a rethink is to actually work exactly to it. The walks which you've stated were re-introduced post revision were not as a result of you doing it your own way, they were the result of failure doing it their way.
Altering it helps nobody but yourself, in the short term, and an every man for himself attitude is a major contributing factor to our current situation.
SWIM
Posts: 425
Joined: 11 Jan 2010, 20:33
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by SWIM »

brandydoguk wrote:They did some tests on some of the loops in our district. The planner did a couple on my walk, as it happened he had only one attendance call on both loops and he still went over his time. They've shown the georoute plan won't work so now they're planning on simply pairing walks as they are together and the posties take everything, SDs, tracked, oversize packets etc. They're trying a couple out next week. I think it's a stopgap measure just to get some use out of the vans before their MOTs run out. :Very Happy
didn't think this was allowed?? :cuppa
'deal of the century' - dingo
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by skull »

quote="Himaggen"]
Altering it helps nobody but yourself, in the short term, and an every man for himself attitude is a major contributing factor to our current situation.[/quote]

We haven't altered anything , when we are on our day off the posties who are covering have got the same frame which was introduced in week one , no one could possibly now how we have worked the day before . We are just tackling the outside work differently that's all . With P&L you can't go out and do the 2 duties the same day in and day out , specials have you reorganising differently every day . Trolleys were introduced to take the weight off our shoulders , if we can work the 2 duties without carrying the weight why do we have to use the trolleys . :arrrghhh .



At 12.55 we have to shoot off to number 20 to do a special we pull up , there is also a tracked item for number 25 across the road you would say " no I'm not delivering that because it's not the agreed method , take me back to the start of the loop I will use my trolley :crazy: . We have put 100 d2d into one loop you would insist that one person does it instead of making life easier and dividing it between 2 posties " it's against the agreed method pal off you go .:crazy: . You get back to the van first , there is a large tracked packet for the other persons loop , you will just sit there thinking to yourself " I'm not doing that because it's not the agreed method , it's their loop they can do it " :crazy: . How the hell did man harness the power of electricity or walk on the moon :crazy:

Some loops are harder than others , how can spliting one persons hard loop into 2 for 2 posties to tackle be an every man for himself attitude .
In the delivery method thread you said " how we work will come back and bight us on the arse " . Now your saying altering it will only help in the short term . Please explain how and we might be able to move past this stalemate .

I'm coming to the conclusion that you have only read about p&l from a book .
Last edited by skull on 11 Feb 2011, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by skull »

skull wrote:I've got himaggen saying I'm cutting corners
I was wrong to jump to the above conclusion but if you look back to pages 3,4 and 5 in the delivery method thread maybe you can see why I thought you were insinuating we were cheating .

This week I over heard a conversation between 2 posties , postie number 1 " do you still use the trolleys " , "yes " was the reply , postie number 1 " we dont we split our loops into 2 and move from street to street ", "We might give that a go " was the reply . If they don't cut corners or put their health at risk what is the problem ? :arrrghhh .

Until you elaborate on your statement that , how we work will come back to bight us on the arse , I think I'll leave it at that ( where have I heard that before :hmmmm ) .
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by Himaggen »

skull, you are quite happy to state that all RM have to do is to introduce an achievable workload, and that you cannot work out why they haven't realised it yet. I've told you why, you just aren't hearing it because you don't believe that changing the system you are employed to work to is wrong.
In order to prove their system isn't working everyone needs to be doing their system. You are not working to their system, you may not see it as a major change or see that it has a detrimental effect in much the same way as those who are using their own vehicles or flat refusing to use LWT's don't. It will bite you on the arse because until you have accepted that in the long term you cannot bring about change by not doing the job to spec and proving it to be wrong you will not get the achievable workload you are crying out for.
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: p & l cancelled

Post by skull »

Himaggen wrote:skull, you are quite happy to state that all RM have to do is to introduce an achievable workload, and that you cannot work out why they haven't realised it yet. I've told you why, you just aren't hearing it because you don't believe that changing the system you are employed to work to is wrong.
In order to prove their system isn't working everyone needs to be doing their system. You are not working to their system, you may not see it as a major change or see that it has a detrimental effect in much the same way as those who are using their own vehicles or flat refusing to use LWT's don't. It will bite you on the arse because until you have accepted that in the long term you cannot bring about change by not doing the job to spec and proving it to be wrong you will not get the achievable workload you are crying out for.
I've really had to scratch my head to answer the above post , for a while I thought you had me , but here goes .

P&L is the best way I've worked since joining RM . When some posties are saying P&L is crap I'm just putting my view across that it's the unachievable workload that's making it crap not P&L itself . I'm not crying out for an achievable workload , when I'm in the mood ( most days ) I'm quite happy with the overtime . On the occasions we've cut off we've had no management hassle whatsoever , whether this will change we will just have to wait and see .

In the past how we worked ( not taking breaks , finishing early , health complaints etc ) influenced RM to change our working practises. I believe the way we are working now will have no influence whatsoever on RM changing the workload . Unlike the past when posties did get home early now we work right to the death and beyond . The only way RM will change the workload is if it's financially worth while .


If we are made to change the way we work either by management for under performing or the union for overperforming the first place where I will admit I was wrong will be on this forum .