ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

delivery methods

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: delivery methods

Post by Himaggen »

It makes no difference whether the system you are using is quicker or not, you don't even know! The point is that it is not the system you are employed to work to and changing it to your own ends always comes back to bite you on the arse.
When the revision was implemented, you as the duty holder would have been given the opportunity to 'fine tune' it, usually within six weeks of implementation. Why then did you not have the frame order redesigned to meet the better system you came up with, instead of splitting it into mini loops on the street? I'll tell you why, because you knew it was wrong!
I think I'm going to leave it there because like those who after our revision are still starting work half an hour early, for free, and missing meal relief's you're obviously not going to be convinced you are hurting anyone.
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by skull »

[quote="Himaggen"].What has actually happened is that posties have been responsible for their own current problems by working to their own system, which they felt was better. For instance hedge-hopping, unofficial pouch drops, break neck delivery speeds, doorstepping, handing items of mail to neighbours, self-signing, using their own vehicles, overloading bags and bikes and missing their meal reliefs


A lot of the above did happen in the pre revision days because there was the incentive of getting home early . Carrying out any of the above now is just fruitless .

Pre revision .
Hedge/wall hopping - I'm was guilty
unofficial pouch drops - never
break neck delivery speed - One persons fast is another persons slow . I've never jogged round .
doorstepping - never
handing items to neighbours - packets , yes but I always wrote out a card .
self signing - never
using my own car -I'm was guilty
overloading bags - never because using your own car there was no need .
missing breaks -I'm was guilty

Post revision .
Hedge/wall hopping - It doesn't matter if you hedge hop now because geo route plans duty sizes
unofficial pouch drops - All the mails in the van
break neck delivery speed - you can only go as fast as the slowest person
doorstepping - never
handing items to neighbours - not allowed anymore , full stop .
self signing - never
using my own car -not anymore
overloading bags - trolleys or mini loops for me .
missing breaks - totally fruitless .

So looking at the above P&L is a far better delivery method for us posties .
Last edited by skull on 09 Feb 2011, 08:17, edited 2 times in total.
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by skull »

Himaggen wrote:It makes no difference whether the system you are using is quicker or not, you don't even know! The point is that it is not the system you are employed to work to and changing it to your own ends always comes back to bite you on the arse.
When the revision was implemented, you as the duty holder would have been given the opportunity to 'fine tune' it, usually within six weeks of implementation. Why then did you not have the frame order redesigned to meet the better system you came up with, instead of splitting it into mini loops on the street? I'll tell you why, because you knew it was wrong!
I think I'm going to leave it there because like those who after our revision are still starting work half an hour early, for free, and missing meal relief's you're obviously not going to be convinced you are hurting anyone.
You are jumping to some serious conclusions about how we work and starting to lose the plot which usualy means you've lost the argument .
We can't change our frames because ON HEAVY DAYS WE REVERT BACK TO LARGER LOOPS AND USE THE TROLLEYS , please understand because I'm getting tired explaining it to you .:dance .
Our duties are to big to complete on time most days anyway . Do you think we are cutting corners or doing the job slower than it should be done ?.
Other than doing them extra few miles in the van , which is impossible to monitor anyway because you have to shoot all over the 2 duties to complete specials by 13.00 , how can it possibly come back to bight us on the arse . I would like to know because if trouble is coming we can start to use the trolleys all of the time .

You think your right so tow an empty trolley around with a 1.5 bundles in your arm . I'm surprised you haven't accused me of having bundles the size of 2 breeze blocks
Last edited by skull on 09 Feb 2011, 00:19, edited 3 times in total.
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by skull »

POSTMAN wrote:Just curious,why do we pull the trolleys (Golf ones)as aposed to pushing them? Seems wrong to me.
I've never used them btw.
I've never thought about pushing the trolleys I might try that .
But will himaggenn approve because we are supposed to pull them . I don't want to slow or speed up the job in case it comes back to bite us on the arse :nervous . Plus the six weeks fine tuning time as been and gone :cry . Sorry to say Himaggen with p&l we are still learning :d'oh! .

by Himaggen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:21 pm

It makes no difference whether the system you are using is quicker or not, you don't even know! The point is that it is not the system you are employed to work to and changing it to your own ends always comes back to bite you on the arse.
When the revision was implemented, you as the duty holder would have been given the opportunity to 'fine tune' it, usually within six weeks of implementation.

In my opinion the above statement by Himaggen is bordering on the ridiculous . If posties find an easier and healthier way to do something I say go for it .
Last edited by skull on 09 Feb 2011, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by skull »

Sorry guys It's impossible to have 1.5 bundles , I should of said 2 bundles of of various size .
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by skull »

P&L On a heavy day one loop has 100 flats with 25 flats per block , I would suggest spliting the loop between the 2 posties , park the van middle-ish postie number 1 does 1-25 , postie number 2 does 26-50 then return to the van replenish ,postie number 1 does 51-75 with postie number 2 finishing the loop doing 76-100 . I would say it would be faster than one postie tackling that loop single handedly but that doesn't matter because geo-route is right and decides the size of the duties . Just have a breather and give yourself a pat on the back for making a hard loop easier . I just can't beleive anybody would prefer to tackle the loop on their own but there again himaggen might be reading this . If someone insisted that they wanted to tackle the loop on their own I would totally respect that , if it was me having to tackle the loop all alone I would sulk a little but still get on with it USING THE TROLLEY .

According to the management Geo-route is right , full stop . So if we find an easier ( I stress not quicker or unhealthy ) way of working we'll just keep it to ourselves and reep the benefits .

The human mind is far more inventive than any computer programme .
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by dvbuk55 »

POSTMAN wrote::funneh Broadway buddies :Applause
:nervous
No not that Broadway...................THE Broadway........you know, the home of superstars.............like Lilo, et al..............I mean could you imagine a green keeper allowing those two waddling across the fairway.

Ever had a hole in one postman? :wink:
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by POSTMAN »

:funneh
dvbuk55 wrote:
POSTMAN wrote::funneh Broadway buddies :Applause
:nervous
No not that Broadway...................THE Broadway........you know, the home of superstars.............like Lilo, et al..............I mean could you imagine a green keeper allowing those two waddling across the fairway.

Ever had a hole in one postman? :wink:
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by skull »

[quote="unhappyCumbria"

I've seen you many a time without a hi-viz :no no :chuckle[/quote]

You are definitely getting me mixed up with someone else . :wave
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by skull »

fishtank wrote:Let's not applaud too much Lincox...they haven't came up with any ground breaking new strategy for park&loop...they are just using bags.
Now of course we have their word that there is only a "couple" of bundles in those bags and maybe these guys are 100% genuine. :angel
...but if you were to implement this across the country there will be carnage...4 and a half hours with a bag...a chiropractors dream come true.....

The way we work isn't rocket science or ground breaking but it's better than carrying heavy bags and pulling trolleys , most of the time we don't have to carry bags but it comes in handy for a PDA and a special or two .

On our 2 duties the loop with the maximum number of properties is 72 ( because of medium to long drives ) . Stopping in the middle of the loop on light to avarage weight days , I can't even remember any occasion where we have had more than 2 bundles each ( previously 1.5 ....... I've twigged on 0 .5 is still a bundle ) . I don't know , Working like this may only work in affluent areas but it does work .

I hope this as convinced you that I am 100% geniune because I've certainly put the time in explaining how we work .

We could even try it out on heavy days but I think spliting a loop into 4 mini loops would just create to much work because the amout of times we would be in and out of the van moving it along .

It's been heavy today and my elbow is suffering from tennis elbow from towing the trolley . Only joking the trolleys are spot on when it's heavy .
Last edited by skull on 09 Feb 2011, 14:34, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by POSTMAN »

:neutral: :d'oh!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
gb93
Posts: 1462
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by gb93 »

POSTMAN wrote:Just curious,why do we pull the trolleys (Golf ones)as aposed to pushing them? Seems wrong to me.
I've never used them btw.
When you push and it comes to a sudden stop (wheel on a stone or uneven flagstone). You either impale yourself on trolley or go arse over tit over top of it
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
Bongos
Posts: 77
Joined: 08 Jan 2011, 11:49
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by Bongos »

If the wheels fell off it would be equal to Royal Mail :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72774
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: delivery methods

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

skull wrote: .missing breaks - totally fruitless .
:left: :left: :left: :left: :left: :left: :left: :left: :left: Intentional or unintentional pun I don't care it made me smile.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: delivery methods

Post by skull »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
skull wrote: .missing breaks - totally fruitless .
:left: :left: :left: :left: :left: :left: :left: :left: :left: Intentional or unintentional pun I don't care it made me smile.
unintentional . Though I do have fruit in my break , so my breaks are fruitful .

I'm going to stop going on this forum as much my wife is starting to get paranoid also having a stunning looking P&L buddy doesn't help put her mind at rest . :wink: