ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

A few question if no one minds?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: A few question if no one minds?

Post by meercat »

POSTMAN wrote:Meercat people swear mate,don't take it personally,no one is abuseing you.

Now,get the wanky drivers bags ready before he throws a strop then have your break.
Dare i say,simples.
I'm not taking it personally atall POSTMAN, I'm just standing up to some down right rudeness follwed by some insulting behaviour. I personally don't have any problems with foul language when it's used in the right context but when it's directed at your in anger then it becomes threatening and abusive and that's thoroughly unpleasant.

btw as far as I can tell my driver is in a strop from the moment he enters the building.
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Can I just clarify something?

Post by andy2007 »

Before I start, I'd just like to clarify (for anyone who doesn't already know) that I'm not on Deliveries, I work indoors. So I don't have first hand knowledge, and as such, I might be being nieve here. But does it make any difference when during your Duty, you take your break? :confused
I would have thought that so long as you have your break, that's the important thing, isn't it. :hmmmm

Now I know that there are some, who work through their breaks. TBH I used to do the same thing, years ago. Whenever there was a panick on. :oops: Although I stopped doing that, when the Managers started taking the p**s, and EXPECTING me to do it on a regular basis. And these days, it's even more important not to give into the pressure, and work through your breaks. Because the DOMs are using people who do that, to put pressure on those who DO take their breaks (he/she can do it, why can't you?). But if you take your break at the end, and book it as OT, if neccessary. And more importantly, if your DOM allows you to do this. Then is it really a problem? :hmmmm
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: A few question if no one minds?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Yes it does matter.
If a driver is allocated to transport a certain number of posties at 10am but they have all left at 9.20 without taking their meal relief it messes with the driver's duty.
Equally if he is to take drop bags but none are there because the posties have taken their own because they will need them earlier it messes with the driver's duty.

But wouldn't it just be nice if the whole office sat down together for 15/20/40 minutes?
Full-time/part-time/posties/drivers/phg/delivery support/all sections - just for a few minutes - ONE OFFICE.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: A few question if no one minds?

Post by andy2007 »

Thanks Clash. Now I understand why people were getting so worked up about it.

If it's causing this much trouble, with people not taking their breaks at the right time. Why haven't the Reps arranged a meeting, to encourage people to start co-operating with each other, to decide on a convenient time for them to take their breaks together. Not neccessarily the whole office. But each group that work together, so they don't mess things up for each other. I know it's something that the Managers should have sorted out a long time ago. But if they can't be bothered to do what they're paid for. Then why not arrange things despite them? :hmmmm
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: A few question if no one minds?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Because for too long we had (and still have ) job and finish.
Rush,rush,rush and see if you can finish 30 minutes earlier.
And while I gave the example of the driver's duties being messed with, the reality is - if the driver thinks he can finish 30 minutes earlier he will be pressing the postiees to leave early as well.
Now if the driver had to do 30 minutes lapsing instead of conveying people to their duties, they might think differently and slowly but surely things are changing.
(On a slightly separate note - we have driver's lapsing duties to fill their duty time and they are still throwing packets back at posties)

The problem for the rep is simply this - a lot of members would regard having to work to their time as an attack on their terms and conditions.
They don't want to do the job properly, they want to do it quickly.
They haven't yet realised that they are chasing hours (and with it jobs) out of their own Delivery Offices.
And when the hours and jobs are cut they I know exactly who they will blame - the CWU.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: A few question if no one minds?

Post by fishtank »

meercat wrote: What makes you think you have a right to tell me and other people what to do?
...because you asked me. :roll:
:funneh WHAT WOULD YOU DO FISHTANK?!? :left:
You asked me what i would do in your situation..and i told you.
You didn't like what i told you so you threw a strop and started moaning about insults and at the same time throwing them about yourself.
As i said earlier take your break or don't...your choice....but please stop looking for others to blame for your own failings...it is not the drivers fault you don't take your break....it is your choice...in your words.."END OF"
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: A few question if no one minds?

Post by meercat »

fishtank wrote:
meercat wrote: What makes you think you have a right to tell me and other people what to do?
...because you asked me. :roll:
:funneh WHAT WOULD YOU DO FISHTANK?!? :left:
Are you simple? Honestly. You can't understand plain English. 'What would you do?' Does not mean 'Tell me what I should do and throw in some swearing and call me a flyer?' does it? It means what would you do.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: A few question if no one minds?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

meercat wrote:
fishtank wrote:
meercat wrote: What makes you think you have a right to tell me and other people what to do?
...because you asked me. :roll:
:funneh WHAT WOULD YOU DO FISHTANK?!? :left:
Are you simple? Honestly. You can't understand plain English. 'What would you do?' Does not mean 'Tell me what I should do and throw in some swearing and call me a flyer?' does it? It means what would you do.

This thread is locked Meercat because YOU are taking it to far - you complain about abuse and then ask if someone is simple. DOuble standards there I think.

Why ask a question then when its answered go off on one - "Another full timer without a clue" comment seemed to start this argument, and if you did not want to advised what to do why ask the orginal question "What would you do" not sure how anyone can answer that question without advising (or telling in otherwords) you whats best.

Lets move on though this PT/FT divide is frankly booring and devisive and of no use to man or fish :left:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: A few question if no one minds?

Post by POSTMAN »

Yep we're going round in circles,all of us,let's chill.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.