Pat Ostman wrote:If you can throw your entire delivery in with D2D's and complete it in five hours most days, you have a smaller delivery than me.
6 Hrs today (thurs). Threw in the lot, 1/6 door to doors redirections, kill offs, packets lapsed and delivered. Finished exactly on time. If I'd had to pouch off or go back to the office, I'd have had to claim. Longs and shorts. Longs Wed, Thurs and fri.
If, lets say your hours are 9-2 FishTank. When would you take your break?
Why you asking Fishtank for? Ask your manager,actually,ask your rep.I bet Fishtank would.
As for the rest of you not having time for your breaks.....
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been. My BFF Clash The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
If, lets say your hours are 9-2. When would you take your break?
It should work something like this: (assuming a 3hr 30 delivery span)
2pm finish. Means....
1.45 last letter means......
10.15 first letter means....
10am dispatch means......
9.30 - 10 meal relief
9 to 9.30 tie down etc.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Pat Ostman wrote:
Its not always practical to have a break whilst on delivery for example. If I could find a nearby tea-shop I can imagine customers walking in demanding this and that and asking why I am sat on my arse, or asking for their packets and post. Its a little confrontational and hardly a place to relax. Or yes I could have it as soon as I get in, or thirty minutes later but thats hardly practical either
I do - I have always taken my break out on delivery, much prefer it even if I have to sit on a park bench eating a Canteen Sarnie. I don't know why but if I break up my delivery I don't seem to get as fatigued as if I do the delivery all in one go. Rarely if ever get anyone asking question or looking at me strangely, never had a repeat offender either.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
When and where you take your break should be a personal choice to some extent but if you rely on a driver to accelerate you then how do you leave earlier without using a car or carrying enough mail to last you until the arrival of your first drop bag?
If you have a trolley delivery close to the office - then you could sit on a park bench and eat your sarnies......but why anyone would want to sit in the rain in Cambuslang surrounded by Jakies is beyond me.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
meercat wrote:On 30hrs you are due a 30min paid break so if you start at 8am and don't have time for a break your finish time will be 1:30.
Again....How does not having time for a break work?
As has been said - and most full-timers just don't get this as they don't care a jot about part-timers - when you start work at 8 or 9am you DO NOT have time to prep your round then wander off to the canteen for 15 or 30mins before tie-ing up. You have to get your bags ready for the driver and personally I am often the last guy in my section tie-ing up usually a good 25mins after all the full timers have swanned out the bloody door. At that point you can go sit in an empty canteen for 15mins or 30mins starting a the wall or you can start your delivery. That is what I mean by not having time for a break and it's been like this for me since I started 5years ago. WHAT WOULD YOU DO FISHTANK?!?
Ontop of getting out 25mins later than most full timers I also have an EARLIER finish time than them on most days?! So a standard day for me involves booking over time. When a full timer does my day off he/she invariably finishes 30mins before I would (due to starting the prep on the round well before I even get in and leaving 30mins earlier) thus making me look like a useless time wasting twat.
It' used to be hard to deal with being a part timer but this job makes you philosophical after a while.
meercat wrote:At that point you can go sit in an empty canteen for 15mins or 30mins starting a the wall or you can start your delivery. That is what I mean by not having time for a break and it's been like this for me since I started 5years ago. WHAT WOULD YOU DO FISHTANK?!?
That's the easiest question i've been asked on here...I'd go sit in an empty canteen for 30 mins.
Take a book and some sandwiches if you're easily bored.
I listen to some tunes on my ipod....beats the s**t out of working.
What was your point?
The point is you are talking about a job you don't do - unless you are a part timer?
It's very easy for you to say you'd sit in an empty canteen for 30mins everyday with only the odd idle manager for company but the reality is that is a complete waste of time. Especially when you've only been in work for 2hrs, breakfast hasn't gone down yet and you aren't in the slightest fatigued.
meercat wrote:The point is you are talking about a job you don't do - unless you are a part timer?
It's very easy for you to say you'd sit in an empty canteen for 30mins everyday with only the odd idle manager for company but the reality is that is a complete waste of time. Especially when you've only been in work for 2hrs, breakfast hasn't gone down yet and you aren't in the slightest fatigued.
Another full timer without a clue.
I start at 0620 and my meal relief is 0840...again what was your point?
While i laugh in the face of anyone who says "i don't have time to have a break" a lot coming out seems to be our colleagues who are upset that if they have to wait then they're going to miss the start of dickinson's real deal.
I would of said jeremy kyle but what with the later starts and him also being on earlier...
Don't be scared,grow a pair (yep i've used it again) and take your breaks.
In the end you will win.
Last edited by andy2007 on 05 Feb 2011, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:Removed bad language.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been. My BFF Clash The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
POSTMAN wrote:Don't be scared,grow a pair (yep i've used it again) and take your breaks.
In the end you will win.
A nice collection of personal insults, well done. I don't have time to take a break before tie-ing up hence I decide not to take one after tie-ing up. If I wanted to sit in an empty canteen for 30mins looking at the wall I would do it. But I don't. If that's OK with you.
Last edited by andy2007 on 05 Feb 2011, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:Removed bad language from quote