ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

frames rammed nearly every day

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lateagainpostie
Posts: 393
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 18:17
Gender: Male

Re: frames rammed nearly every day

Post by Lateagainpostie »

You PULL these trolleys ..... surely that means you are walking with a twist in your back all the time ? What does H&S say about that ?

Surely it makes more sense to push them ?
If you love Man Utd, you'll love my forum Talkingreds
MisterPostie
Posts: 48
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 20:37
Gender: Male

Re: frames rammed nearly every day

Post by MisterPostie »

Indy wrote:
MisterPostie wrote:
Indy wrote:
MisterPostie wrote:
moyas slave wrote:ask your DOM for a trolley.

its the way forward.
I disagree with it being the way forward. I can complete a walk about 20% faster without a trolley. The only way trolleys will ever be the way forward is if they cut the rounds by 20%. I think we all know that's not going to happen....
IMHO it depends on the walk.. some are suited to using a trolly others aren't..... simples
Actually you might be right on this, but when you live in the Cotswolds with lots of hills and valleys, pulling a trolley around isn't much fun. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a flat walk in my office.
Kinda proves my point really... your walks appear NOT to be suitable yet there are walks in my office where its been proven that a trolley is way faster and easier than using a pouch.
It then begs the question as to why we have been told that trolleys are mandatory by our DOM. If we are on a walk with a buddy system then we are forced to use the trolleys. It doesn't work, it makes the rounds longer, it is harder work and more strenuous on the back.

I guess it's more proof that the management are at the heart of most of RM's problems.
MisterPostie
Posts: 48
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 20:37
Gender: Male

Re: frames rammed nearly every day

Post by MisterPostie »

Lateagainpostie wrote:You PULL these trolleys ..... surely that means you are walking with a twist in your back all the time ? What does H&S say about that ?

Surely it makes more sense to push them ?
I'm 6 foot 6. Pulling or pushing gives me a twist in my back as I have to stoop to push or pull the thing.

I've taken a decision recently to refrain from using trolleys, even on the mandatory walks. When I get caught I'll have some action coming my way, but I'm willing to take the risk.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: frames rammed nearly every day

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

MisterPostie wrote:
moyas slave wrote:ask your DOM for a trolley.

its the way forward.
I disagree with it being the way forward. I can complete a walk about 20% faster without a trolley. The only way trolleys will ever be the way forward is if they cut the rounds by 20%. I think we all know that's not going to happen....

So either the duy is too long and its needs to be adjusted, by managemment, if using a trolley takes you over (I know its hard to actually make that happen), or if you are completeing within your time without a trolley then watch out for management identifying a lapsing capability.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
MisterPostie
Posts: 48
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 20:37
Gender: Male

Re: frames rammed nearly every day

Post by MisterPostie »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
MisterPostie wrote:
moyas slave wrote:ask your DOM for a trolley.

its the way forward.
I disagree with it being the way forward. I can complete a walk about 20% faster without a trolley. The only way trolleys will ever be the way forward is if they cut the rounds by 20%. I think we all know that's not going to happen....

So either the duy is too long and its needs to be adjusted, by managemment, if using a trolley takes you over (I know its hard to actually make that happen), or if you are completeing within your time without a trolley then watch out for management identifying a lapsing capability.
There are probably only a handful of walks in the office that are do-able. It's makes a bit of a mockery at times. One particular walk I can do in 2hrs 20 minutes. I once had two days of mail on it and it still only took me 2hrs 45. But there are others that take up to 5.5 hours. Some revision. I've told them til I'm blue in the face. I guess it's the same old problem that the management never confer with the people that know the deliveries. I know nearly 30 rounds in our office and in 17 years nobody has ever asked me for advice on revisions.
music4essex
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
Gender: Female

Re: frames rammed nearly every day

Post by music4essex »

[quote][/quote]and in 17 years nobody has ever asked me for advice on revisions.

Me as well I volunteered to help out with our revision , but dom did not take up the offer, our revsion has not been done properly, last week my new walk was tested on what I called one of the lightest days :hmmmm

Today had every house with a letter to be delivered shame it never happened when it was tested as the new walk went over by half hour today it would have gone over by hour or more,

I will just do the job properly my manager hates it when I do that, and accused me over xmas of being slow,
If I repick my old duty which has had a lot added, I will be cutting off and they know it :hmmmm
I was pulled in the office over peformance but got higher union involved and dom backed off , but I am sure he will be back for more lol

Essex mum :nervous
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: frames rammed nearly every day

Post by REDLETTER »

music4essex wrote:
and in 17 years nobody has ever asked me for advice on revisions.

Me as well I volunteered to help out with our revision , but dom did not take up the offer, our revsion has not been done properly, last week my new walk was tested on what I called one of the lightest days :hmmmm

Today had every house with a letter to be delivered shame it never happened when it was tested as the new walk went over by half hour today it would have gone over by hour or more,

I will just do the job properly my manager hates it when I do that, and accused me over xmas of being slow,
If I repick my old duty which has had a lot added, I will be cutting off and they know it :hmmmm
I was pulled in the office over peformance but got higher union involved and dom backed off , but I am sure he will be back for more lol

Essex mum :nervous
Your face just doesn't fit! :whistle :nana
plainpat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 410
Joined: 18 Jan 2010, 19:29
Gender: Male
Location: You can't get any further east in the UK without going for a swim in the North Sea

Re: frames rammed nearly every day

Post by plainpat »

Nothing fits in Royal Fail anymore....

The mail in the frames

Two posties,2 trolleys and all the mail and packets in one van

The duties in the time allocated

The managers a*ses in their chairs..... :whistle
MisterPostie
Posts: 48
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 20:37
Gender: Male

Re: frames rammed nearly every day

Post by MisterPostie »

plainpat wrote:Nothing fits in Royal Fail anymore....

The mail in the frames

Two posties,2 trolleys and all the mail and packets in one van

The duties in the time allocated

The managers a*ses in their chairs..... :whistle
All our old walking rounds are now done in a van (Park & Loop). We were constantly told leading up to xmas that there will be no extra packet duties put on as everyone had vans now as we used to throw out all our oversized packets for drivers to deliver. Despite our warnings that Bippers were not going to fit two whole duties worth of packets in, they ploughed ahead as planned. Needless to say on the first day of xmas pressure they were begging people to do OT on the packets that wouldn't fit in the Bippers...