ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

No back to work interview after being off sick

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by krussel »

John_B wrote:
krussel wrote:
John_B wrote:that Sundays and your day off count towards your total time off sick !!!!

You know ive never really got my head around this :hmmmm

With RM being so bloody anal with the total amout of sick per stage given i can never understand why Sunday (a non service day) is not deducted. :evil/mad :evil/mad
I suppose the way I see it is, you can't suddenly get better on a Sunday and then become ill again on the Monday !!

But if you are ill on a sunday your not costing the firm a days sick money so why add it to your total days sick and possibly trigger a warning ?
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
John_B
Posts: 30
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by John_B »

krussel wrote:
John_B wrote:
krussel wrote:
John_B wrote:that Sundays and your day off count towards your total time off sick !!!!

You know ive never really got my head around this :hmmmm

With RM being so bloody anal with the total amout of sick per stage given i can never understand why Sunday (a non service day) is not deducted. :evil/mad :evil/mad
I suppose the way I see it is, you can't suddenly get better on a Sunday and then become ill again on the Monday !!

But if you are ill on a sunday your not costing the firm a days sick money so why add it to your total days sick and possibly trigger a warning ?
Oh I do agree with you entirely and I shall be using that when it comes to my stage 1 interview.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by fishtank »

krussel wrote: But if you are ill on a sunday your not costing the firm a days sick money so why add it to your total days sick and possibly trigger a warning ?
Because SSP and medical certificates cover 7 days. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by POSTMAN »

You have 2 weeks off in reality it's 10 days but get busted for 13 days if you phone in on the sat.
On my shift it's 4 days,so that would/should only be 8.

It's a bummer.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by krussel »

POSTMAN wrote:You have 2 weeks off in reality it's 10 days but get busted for 13 days if you phone in on the sat.
On my shift it's 4 days,so that would/should only be 8.

It's a bummer.

It really is :evil/mad

What happens if you hit a stage 3 can you claim the Sundays back as a non sick day, i doubt it :no no

The worse thing is it makes no difference to RM if those days are self or doctors sick :evil/mad Many firms do not include Docs sick at all and only monitor self sick days :roll:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
MisterPostie
Posts: 48
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 20:37
Gender: Male

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by MisterPostie »

John_B wrote:I was off sick about 4 weeks ago now, this has now put my total time off since joining RM (about 7 years now) into question.

I have been called for an interview to review my time off sick with the possibility of receiving a stage 1.

However, I have NEVER had a back to work interview, even though I was signed off by my doctor when I was off the other week.

Can they still put me on a stage 1 even though I have never had a back to work interview ?
You might want to also look into the fact that any disciplinary action should be taken within a reasonable time from the event occuring. I don't consider something that happened 4 weeks ago within a reasonable period. You should push the lack of back to work interview and the fact that they should have issued you a letter regarding your conduct weeks ago, not a month later. It's bad practice.
moyas slave
Posts: 133
Joined: 15 Jan 2011, 16:45
Gender: Female

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by moyas slave »

You might want to also look into the fact that any disciplinary action should be taken within a reasonable time from the event occuring. I don't consider something that happened 4 weeks ago within a reasonable period. You should push the lack of back to work interview and the fact that they should have issued you a letter regarding your conduct weeks ago, not a month later. It's bad practice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that would be like delivering christmas cards in january :no no
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by Caniel »

I'd triggered a stage 1 three times before a manager finally came round and saw me. I just got put on a stage 1.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by coxie »

I would just say what the first reply says, you will not be accepting any stage and you will be putting in a grievance against any stage issued due to procedure not being followed by managment. Say that a back to work could have helped you in your recovery because you might have had issues you needed to talk about.

To be honest matem your f****d, if its a stage 1 your getting it, if it was a stage 3 i'd fight it till the bitter end.
Lateagainpostie
Posts: 393
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 18:17
Gender: Male

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by Lateagainpostie »

I managed to get a stage 2 even though a stage 1 was never issued, both myself and the Rep have asked to see the stage one notes, but so far management have not been able to produce them... this is because they can't. I've been told that being on a stage 2 could go against me if they need to promote part timers to full timers under the revison.
If you love Man Utd, you'll love my forum Talkingreds
MisterPostie
Posts: 48
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 20:37
Gender: Male

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by MisterPostie »

Lateagainpostie wrote:I managed to get a stage 2 even though a stage 1 was never issued, both myself and the Rep have asked to see the stage one notes, but so far management have not been able to produce them... this is because they can't. I've been told that being on a stage 2 could go against me if they need to promote part timers to full timers under the revison.
This happened to a guy in my office too. A manager falsified the stage one, the postman complained, nothing was done, even the stage wasn't removed. He was also told by his Union rep that it wasn't worth pursuing.
tragictramp
Posts: 381
Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 18:02
Gender: Male

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by tragictramp »

In my last 2 sicknesses, i have not received a back to work interview, the line managers just too lazy/forgetful. If i ever get a stage for these absences i will use this as defence against the stage.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by fishtank »

3. RETURN TO WORK DISCUSSIONS

When someone returns to work from absence the line manager must aim as soon as possible to speak privately and out of earshot of others with the person in a non-threatening and supportive way outside formal procedures with the following objectives:
 to acknowledge the employee’s return and show it is valued
 for the employee to air any concerns
 to see if any help is needed and provide direction to encourage regular attendance
 to ensure absence is appropriately certified
:neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by clashcityrocker »

The first question they ask you in one of these informal discussions is - would you like to tell me about your absence.
One of my colleagues just said no.
I think this should now be everyone's default position when questioned informally by their line manager or DOM.

Would you like to discuss it?
No.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: No back to work interview after being off sick

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote: Would you like to discuss it?
No.
A return to work discussion will take place but employees will not be required to disclose information of a personal or sensitive nature if they choose not to do so.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share