http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/othe ... rPath=home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HE opening of Lorton’s new bridge was a red letter day for the village’s postwoman, who had been forced to drive an extra 11 miles a day since the 2009 floods destroyed the old bridge.
SPECIAL DELIVERY: Postal worker Alison Leonard no longer has to go miles out of her way now the new bridge is open in Lorton
Alison Leonard, 45, who has been a postwoman in Cockermouth for 10 years, had to cover 15 miles a day rather than her usual four after the floods. She was unable to deliver post to Low Lorton residents until 1.30pm.
Now their deliveries are back at their normal time of 10.30am.
Ms Leonard, who was the first person to drive over the new bridge over the River Cocker when it opened on Monday, said: “The bridge being down meant that the people in the five or so houses on the Low Lorton side would have to have their post delivered last at the end of my shift because I had to go right round to get to them.
“If the Southwaite Road was shut it would take even longer because I’d have to go all the way through Rogerscale.
“When the bridge went down I didn’t expect it to have such an effect on my journey but it did become an inconvenience.
“It felt great to be the first person to drive over the bridge. It wasn’t planned. It was a total coincidence that I was the first person to be there in a vehicle because I was just at the end of my shift.
“It will make a massive difference to my journey every day and all the residents that side of the bridge who have felt very isolated.”
Lorton residents welcome the bridge opening – Page 6
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.u" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New bridge is a first-class delivery for village postie
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
New bridge is a first-class delivery for village postie
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.