the only device I have to get into the 95 flats on my run are my hands.
Unfortunately, sometimes my fingers and thumbs tell me they've pushed the service button, only to discover when trying to open the heavy security door outwards that they haven't pushed it at all. Some service buttons beep to let me know it's worked, others don't.
I would love to hear you explaining to the police that the bit of plastic you were using was to allow you to obtain entry to deliver post.
I was training a new guy about a year ago - he didn't have a uniform and wasn't at that time carrying a delivery wallet as it was his second day. I'd given him a small bundle of mail for one close. He took forever. I went to investigate why, turns out there had been an 'incident' and the police had stopped him on his way back out the close as they felt he was acting suspiciously. Took a call to my boss to sort it out. Now, imagine if he'd been observed breaking into the flat first..would the boss have paid the bail money?