ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

d2d

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jockstrapp
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 970
Joined: 28 Mar 2009, 17:58
Gender: Male

Re: d2d

Post by jockstrapp »

fishtank wrote:It's simple economics.
If D2D didn't work....it wouldn't be under your frame on a monday morning.
How well it works is like any other advertising platform...open to debate...but of no interest to me.
Aye and still lying there on Saturday morning :nana :nana :nana as per managers instructions. :left: :left: :left:
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: d2d

Post by chrisj »

BlueTerrier, your example is somewhat different from the average D2D. You highlighted that the company was working with the 'Council' to promote something useful such recycling. Of course, it is likely to work because it has the Council's backing. It is not the same as chucking double glazing d2d to council tenants in a high rise building (they already have double glazing btw).

* D2D must work just because it is there; of course. :roll: Why else will the companies be sending out useless pieces of paper (every 2 weeks) to people that already have their product (e.g Virgin & BT & Sky)? I suppose it was the same believe we had in our bankers (duff investments), politicians (expenses), leaders (taking us to an illegal war) and union leaders doing deals behind our backs.

Lets protect the environment and conserve trees! :nana :nana :nana
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: d2d

Post by fishtank »

chrisj wrote: * D2D must work just because it is there; of course. :roll: Why else will the companies be sending out useless pieces of paper (every 2 weeks) to people that already have their product (e.g Virgin & BT & Sky)? I suppose it was the same believe we had in our bankers (duff investments), politicians (expenses), leaders (taking us to an illegal war) and union leaders doing deals behind our backs.
No it's an entirely different belief....
These companies you mention are extremely cost sensitive.
If there wasn't a decent return on D2D...they wouldn't spend money on it.
The fact that it is poorly targeted simply reflects the relatively low cost of blanket coverage set against intelligent targeting but that will probably change in the future.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: d2d

Post by POSTMAN »

It is not the same as chucking double glazing d2d to council tenants in a high rise building
How weird,i knew this would come up,it's a big defence of the D2D haters.

Obviously there are post code areas where there are a lot of flats and areas like mine that have a certain amount.
I don't think customers have the option to send out a shed load of D2D's to a postcode and for us not to deliver to flats.
But,depending on the area the amount you would call waste would be minimal,plus there is the chance although slim of the customer pasing the leaflet on to someone else.

D2D's are so much cheaper than a mailshot that it's still worth it.

And as Fish says...
If there wasn't a decent return on D2D...they wouldn't spend money on it.

Oh and it's WORK for us!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: d2d

Post by REDLETTER »

Wetherspoons D2D was a BIG success on my walk, they were begging for more, so some blanket mailshots work :wink:

RM class it as live mail, so if I am given the time to deliver them I do, if they pile even more sh*t on and bully people because of a poor system, then we all need to make a stand.

If they didn't work, then we must have a sales team at RM peddling the product like they were City Bankers after their bonus! :crazy:
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: d2d

Post by taurus88 »

I don't buy the line 'if they didn't work, they wouldn't be there'.

Redundant systems aren't always revealed to be redundant immediately, and it's very difficult to measure what percentage of your custom comes from x marketing procedure or y marketing procedure - I don't know about you but I've never been asked to fill in a questionnaire after concluding my shop at farmfoods, after buying my pizza at Domino's or Pizza Hut, or after renewing my subscription with Sky or Virgin (I don't have both but I haven't been asked by the one I'm with).

Obviously, this goes no way to proving the opposite point and I have no actual opinion either way as to whether door-to-doors are successful or not. I don't have the resources to ascertain the knowledge either. I don't like them particularly but they are a part of my workload and I intend to utilise them to their fullest to enable me to avoid being given any additional work. If I can get them done in my five hours each day then they are live mail to be treated with the same disdain that I treat the other live mail. If I can't get them done then they are live mail to be sent back to the office with the very same disdain, added for good measure.

Is there any need to hate them? To me, they're meaningless crap to get rid of. Chucking them in a bin would cost me my job, throwing them under someone else's fitting is what everyone else in my office does, so the best way to get rid of them is by putting them through the letterboxes - as expected - and claiming my wage for it at the end of the week. I'm not going to spend any more time in the future complaining about them, even if I wish some thought would go into their size, weight and bulk in future so as to allow us to incorporate them more easily into the workload.

I guess that's too much to ask.
malcolm3011
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 303
Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: d2d

Post by malcolm3011 »

POSTMAN wrote:D2D is our friend,just like that fecking bulk mailing,just like those feckin ebay packets,just like Amazon,just like play.com,etcetera etcetera etceteraaaaa.
And that friend gives me a wage.

If D2Ds are your friend i would hate to see your enemies :left:
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: d2d

Post by RedBagMan »

taurus88 wrote: I wish some thought would go into their size, weight and bulk in future so as to allow us to incorporate them more easily into the workload.
... sums it up perfectly ... :Applause
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...