ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

lost mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: lost mail

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Gates in a long term state of disrepair are one of my pet hates of the job, as sad as that sounds! So many on my walk have misaligned catches and securers (so whole gate has to be lifted to open gate); broken hinges; catches that are a nightmare to free from the securers; "krypton factor" securing mechanisms etc. etc. and then there are customers who want their gate shut by me despite it being ajar when I arrived!

If having a closed gate is a real issue, keep your gate in a good state of repair and have a spring loaded system that will automatically close the gate after anybody, as TBT wrote!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: lost mail

Post by dvbuk55 »

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean somebody isn't out to get you chrisj :cuppa
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: lost mail

Post by krussel »

Indy wrote:foul smell or leaking fluids

:left: :left: :left: That could describe a few old goats in my office :left: :left: :left:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: lost mail

Post by Straight4ward »

Steering clear of the 'chrisj - I hate my postie' sideshow,
I'm just a little intrigued by the original poster Ihatedogs - "got home from work today, walked the dogs "
Do you hate your own dogs or just those you meet while delivering?Image
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
ihatedogs
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 547
Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
Gender: Male

Re: lost mail

Post by ihatedogs »

Straight4ward wrote:Steering clear of the 'chrisj - I hate my postie' sideshow,
I'm just a little intrigued by the original poster Ihatedogs - "got home from work today, walked the dogs "
Do you hate your own dogs or just those you meet while delivering?Image
Ha Ha, very good point. Love my dogs just hate the mean looking ones that think they can tear you apart because you dare to venture into their garden delivering.Maybe i should change my name to "ihateotherpeoplesdogs"
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: lost mail

Post by Straight4ward »

Thanks for clearing that up.Image
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: lost mail

Post by chrisj »

People should not make serious comments about what they know nothing about... I dont hate my postie because I dont even know who my postie is. Leaving the gate open on the odd occassion will not be a problem, but if suddenly the gate is being opened all the time then it is a problem.

My postie is not showing me any professional courtesy or respect. he delivered my wage slip and courier today and guess what? It does not matter whether I am paranoid or not but I will not do that to another postman.Or to a customer especially when the person has already expressed a wish to have thier gate closed.

It beggars believe that some postmen behave the way they do and that some here think it is up to the customer to adjust to fit into the way the postie behave.

The gate was not left open by other postmen and I have lived in the same place for more than 10 years. Enough said on this as the gate will definitely not be left open for much longer!
post_bitch
Posts: 913
Joined: 25 Jun 2010, 14:52
Gender: Female

Re: lost mail

Post by post_bitch »

some gates are deadly
Last edited by post_bitch on 13 Jan 2011, 18:05, edited 2 times in total.
clean and original ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkC9cK8Hz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: lost mail

Post by DGP1 »

chrisj wrote:People should not make serious comments about what they know nothing about... I dont hate my postie because I dont even know who my postie is. Leaving the gate open on the odd occassion will not be a problem, but if suddenly the gate is being opened all the time then it is a problem.

My postie is not showing me any professional courtesy or respect. he delivered my wage slip and courier today and guess what? It does not matter whether I am paranoid or not but I will not do that to another postman.Or to a customer especially when the person has already expressed a wish to have thier gate closed.

It beggars believe that some postmen behave the way they do and that some here think it is up to the customer to adjust to fit into the way the postie behave.

The gate was not left open by other postmen and I have lived in the same place for more than 10 years. Enough said on this as the gate will definitely not be left open for much longer!
I think you really need to relax, some people close gates and some don't, if you think you should get someone into trouble over it then go ahead.

Just make sure your gate is well maintained and doesn't look like it will cause injury otherwise you could find your mail being return to the office for H&S reasons.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: lost mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

chrisj wrote:People should not make serious comments about what they know nothing about... I dont hate my postie because I dont even know who my postie is. Leaving the gate open on the odd occassion will not be a problem, but if suddenly the gate is being opened all the time then it is a problem.

My postie is not showing me any professional courtesy or respect. he delivered my wage slip and courier today and guess what? It does not matter whether I am paranoid or not but I will not do that to another postman.Or to a customer especially when the person has already expressed a wish to have thier gate closed.

It beggars believe that some postmen behave the way they do and that some here think it is up to the customer to adjust to fit into the way the postie behave.

The gate was not left open by other postmen and I have lived in the same place for more than 10 years. Enough said on this as the gate will definitely not be left open for much longer!
For the 3rd time - if securing your gate is such an important issue then why not fit a spring.

That suggestion has nothing to do with whether the postie is closing your gate or not, he should. My suggestion would stop the problem dead in its tracks never mind who left the gate open, and you can still complain if you feel you should.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: lost mail

Post by krussel »

Just get the springy thing that teebs suggested and then job done. Aint worth getting stressed over. :crazy:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Sippin40oz
Posts: 170
Joined: 24 Oct 2010, 18:29
Gender: Female

Re: lost mail

Post by Sippin40oz »

Which postman leaves your gate open? :hmmmm Hope you realise that there are probably many postman working on your round as we do have days off and occasionally go on holiday and such! And also are you sure its definitely the postman as we are not the only people who go into properties! Honest to god ive had a customer come out and rant at me for not closing their gate until i pointed out that i didnt deliver any mail to them that day and there was a free newspaper sticking out of their letter box! Didnt get an apology or anything obviously....

If the spring thing seems a bit technical could always go with a sticker http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLEASE-CLOSE-GATE ... 2a0d26ff2b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As others have said when you are entering 500+ properties a day sometimes you can get confused about which gates are open and closed when you get there!
dblad
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: lost mail

Post by dblad »

I think if I was his postie and he moaned like this, I'd leave it open to piss him off.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: lost mail

Post by dvbuk55 »

On the reverse side of the coin I once had a young woman with a pram go apeshit for closing the gate, she'd left it open because she had taken the little one to school and the baby was in a pram so she could wheel it straight down her path........I had closed the gate knowing she had a young child......needless to say I never closed it again. Then there was the old twat who once said............"Hey! Can you close my gate?", I replied "I don't know I've never tried".......he wasn't a pleasant sort.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: lost mail

Post by taurus88 »

I DGAF 'bout folk's gates, personally. They must have an odd fetish for gates with the way they go on about them. Now, there have been times in the past where my gate has been left open by various individuals. I have, however, come to this frightening conclusion. I have the power, in my very own two hands no less, to close it again! This was an astonishing breakthrough that I made and may revolutionise the future of gate science should the fellas at Area 51 ever unleash this secret. I'm not sure that the general public is ready for this kind of knowledge though. I'm just not sure they can handle it.