ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job....?
-
sidewinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 348
- Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
- Gender: Male
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
Hgv driver for well known firm.Plus it's mon to fri with 1 in every 16 sats to cover. Anyother sats are ot so it's a choice. Couldn't even transfer to rm hgvs so that was out of the question.
-
internetguy
- Posts: 183
- Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
one of my mates is a hgv driver, i actually quiet fancy doing it. he said theres always work. this could be my answer to leaving.......
-
not me
- Posts: 2735
- Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
- Gender: Female
- Location: Uranus
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
doing a credit for entry course to get into uni
-
sidewinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 348
- Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
- Gender: Male
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
Had the licence for years. Was doing on the side work fir dhl etc , see other thread bout working for dhl.... Didn't want to go back to it but as rm got worse and worse I took the plunge, searched for jobs and found what I'm doing now. Can't say who they are but it's not supermarket work.internetguy wrote:one of my mates is a hgv driver, i actually quiet fancy doing it. he said theres always work. this could be my answer to leaving.......
-
REDLETTER
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 748
- Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
sidewinder wrote:Had the licence for years. Was doing on the side work fir dhl etc , see other thread bout working for dhl.... Didn't want to go back to it but as rm got worse and worse I took the plunge, searched for jobs and found what I'm doing now. Can't say who they are but it's not supermarket work.internetguy wrote:one of my mates is a hgv driver, i actually quiet fancy doing it. he said theres always work. this could be my answer to leaving.......
You'll be the British version of the Ice Road Truckers in this weather!
Good luck!
-
sidewinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 348
- Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
- Gender: Male
-
patno1
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 18:42
- Gender: Male
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
Been looking for hgv job with rm but seems to be dead man's shoes got a couple of transfers in at nwrdc but it doesnt look good so might try somewhere else next year work your but off for these lot and get nowhere! 
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
Is it possible to find good HGV work and allow me to dance on Friday/Saturday nights as I don't want to work every night on the road.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
http://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/career-clueless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Tman
- Posts: 4147
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
Funny, most ex-HGV drivers (now posties) say they couldn't wait to jack it in. Long hours, poor pay and conditions etc and there's no shortage of drivers meaning those pay and conditions are kept low.
I guess that grass is always greener.....
I guess that grass is always greener.....
-
smokerjim
- Posts: 1921
- Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
- Gender: Male
- Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
I guess that cliches are always short of facts...."long hours, poor pay and conditions, etc" are going to be a fact of life for agency drivers,but you could substitute the job title "driver" for any agency job title ( although how long hours can come into it with Euro tacho & driving laws is a bit odd ) and it is in my experience that HGV drivers tend to be very settled in their career....in umpteen jobs the only HGV driver I met that didn't use his licence for work, was a contract manager, & I've never met one that has said "I'm sick of driving....I know, them posties have it easy, and knock off by 1pm....that's what I'll do!" and is still out there walking the streets ( but hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that oneTman wrote:Funny, most ex-HGV drivers (now posties) say they couldn't wait to jack it in. Long hours, poor pay and conditions etc and there's no shortage of drivers meaning those pay and conditions are kept low.
I guess that grass is always greener.....
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?
Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
I think you are right smoker. My son in law is in his mid 40s and has been an HGV driver for over 20 years, my brother, who is now a Transport manager drove HGVs for 25 years and both have always said they would not have changed their lot. In fact my brother is coming up to retirement and is thinking of going back driving part time. Like any job thre are good places to work and bad places to work and both my relatives have moved from not so good when it suited them without any problems. The pay is without doubt very good by comparison although the hours aren't always that good, but in my son in laws case they seem to be quite flexible.smokerjim wrote:I guess that cliches are always short of facts...."long hours, poor pay and conditions, etc" are going to be a fact of life for agency drivers,but you could substitute the job title "driver" for any agency job title ( although how long hours can come into it with Euro tacho & driving laws is a bit odd ) and it is in my experience that HGV drivers tend to be very settled in their career....in umpteen jobs the only HGV driver I met that didn't use his licence for work, was a contract manager, & I've never met one that has said "I'm sick of driving....I know, them posties have it easy, and knock off by 1pm....that's what I'll do!" and is still out there walking the streets ( but hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that oneTman wrote:Funny, most ex-HGV drivers (now posties) say they couldn't wait to jack it in. Long hours, poor pay and conditions etc and there's no shortage of drivers meaning those pay and conditions are kept low.
I guess that grass is always greener.....)
-
Tman
- Posts: 4147
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
I'm sure there's long-established and experienced drivers who have good terms and conditions, but that's hardly the situation with a postie who wants to try something new, and that's what the thread title refers to. 
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
'Most'? How many have you spoken to?Tman wrote:Funny, most ex-HGV drivers (now posties) say they couldn't wait to jack it in. Long hours, poor pay and conditions etc and there's no shortage of drivers meaning those pay and conditions are kept low.
I guess that grass is always greener.....
Is your workplace full of ex HGV drivers?
Seeing as it seems to be can you get them on here pronto to give some of the guys some advise.
Would be very much appreciated.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Tman
- Posts: 4147
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..
Seems like many of them were, or cabbies, barmen, bus drivers, short-haul deliveries, call-centre workers, even a bloke from the local abbatoir.
I'll tell them POSTMAN wants a word about how great life is with no holiday pay, sick leave, pension, union recognition and all the other (current) benefits, shall I?
That's the great thing about RM.....no matter how bad it gets, it still beats actually working for a "living" when you're bottom of the heap...
I'll tell them POSTMAN wants a word about how great life is with no holiday pay, sick leave, pension, union recognition and all the other (current) benefits, shall I?
That's the great thing about RM.....no matter how bad it gets, it still beats actually working for a "living" when you're bottom of the heap...