Firstly I would like to thank the people who have posted useful tips etc. My post had way more replies than I thought it would, so thanks very much!
Here is an update on my first 3 days.
Day 1.
Sorting out dead letters, after a 5 hour run at them I managed to clear them all, in the end I had about 9 trays packed full of them all sorted. Rest fo the day was stacking yorks with empty trays and organising them etc.
- Not too hard, not as hard as I was expecting. The sorting of letters is fine, I found you sort of slip into a trance after the first 40 mins or so, I cant really remember any single moment past that point. It was all checked over and barring a few mis-sorts/mis-reads it was all good.
Day 2.
This was a more varied day, though still all "in the office" so to speak. Once again dead letters occupied most of my time, this time putting the "RTS" stickers on them, dating them etc. This was a slow job, far far slower than simply sorting them had been, I found this job harder, simply becaause it cant really be done standing up, and the stools provided are.... uncomfortable, to be polite. I can stand for hours quite comfortably, but sitting hunched up is not so nice. I spent some time sorting things into frames and turning out trays of letters ready to be sorted by others later on. I quite enjoyed this, more movement, more interactive.
- This was a tiring day, mainly due to all the hunching over, not used to it.
Day 3.
I went out on a dilivery with another postie, was a lovely chap who had had his round for a long long time, thus he knew it back to front, he could have done it blindfolded I think. I helped sort it all out before hand with him helping me if I got stuck. The deliveries were fine, though the roads were hilly, up and down alot and the driveways long, thus more walking. It was bitterly cold and raining also, we got it done in about four and half hours. I was hoping to be let home when I got back to the office (seems some casual workers get let off an hour or so early if after a delivery (mostly because its normally about 2.30-3.00 and the office is dead). But was set to unloading yorks filled with letters and stacking them in blocks to be sorted the next day. Thier were a vast number of them, more than I could reasonbly count at glance, after and hour and half or so of lifting and stacking It was off home.
- This day was, I will admit, exausting, I am fairly fit but still not used to being on my feet for over 7 hours + heavy lifting etc, was not a "bad" day, I enjoyed the deliveries, fresh air, nice householders all of whom wanted to know if I was new, did I like the job etc. Just that it was phisically tough and I think that it would wear me down in the long run.