ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

THEIVING BASTARDS

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by DGP1 »

sodiium wrote:yesterday a postie said lost at this, it was a xmas card placed in 3 envelopes to deter thiefs but all 3 envelopes had been sliced open. wtf. do rm have a xmas policy of letting these pr**s in at xmas as long as they clear the mail & they can keep some of the content?
Yes :sad:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by Indy »

sodiium wrote:yesterday a postie said lost at this, it was a xmas card placed in 3 envelopes to deter thiefs but all 3 envelopes had been sliced open. wtf. do rm have a xmas policy of letting these pr**s in at xmas as long as they clear the mail & they can keep some of the content?
I do have some sympathy with RM on this.... they employ how many 10's of thousands of postmen/women? at the end of the day it really is only a tiny tiny minority of people that STEAL How do you weed thieves out at the interview? they don't wear 'I'm coming to nick mail' T-Shirts! RM have to actually have proof that a person is stealing you can't just sack somebody. It all takes time and with the sort christmas period its no doubt really hard to physically catch people in the act. I've had to deliver mail/packets that seem to have been tampered with and I agree its really embarrassing knowing what to say to a customer thats rushed out and confronted you. Its a hazard of the job I guess?
Sippin40oz
Posts: 170
Joined: 24 Oct 2010, 18:29
Gender: Female

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by Sippin40oz »

Casuals :hmmmm
Bit harsh to blame it on casuals! I think its more likely to be the disillusioned full time staff who have the experience to know that they are unlikely to be prosecuted.

I suppose you also have to take into account the culture within Royal mail is to lie cheat and steal from its employees at every opportunity. What kind of effect do you think this has on all of us? Do you think an employee would be more tempted to steal say £10 out of a envelope when management have just screwed them out of £20 OT the same day? I dont condone stealing of any sort but in a way i can understand. I see it as stealing from the customers though so not really something i agree with!
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by Caniel »

Had quite a few where they just haven't been stuck down by the person posting it and a few that have been mangled either by the machine or a thieving scumbag.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by stokes11eg »

Indy wrote:
sodiium wrote:yesterday a postie said lost at this, it was a xmas card placed in 3 envelopes to deter thiefs but all 3 envelopes had been sliced open. wtf. do rm have a xmas policy of letting these pr**s in at xmas as long as they clear the mail & they can keep some of the content?
I do have some sympathy with RM on this.... they employ how many 10's of thousands of postmen/women? at the end of the day it really is only a tiny tiny minority of people that STEAL How do you weed thieves out at the interview? they don't wear 'I'm coming to nick mail' T-Shirts! RM have to actually have proof that a person is stealing you can't just sack somebody. It all takes time and with the sort christmas period its no doubt really hard to physically catch people in the act. I've had to deliver mail/packets that seem to have been tampered with and I agree its really embarrassing knowing what to say to a customer thats rushed out and confronted you. Its a hazard of the job I guess?
:shock:
How to weed out thiefs at interviews;? Nearly impossible nowadays, but in the past, you had to wait until all your backround checks were c arried out, before you got a job with R/M.
Sadly, whatever the company say now, they employ almost anybody, with no real checking up. Not so long ago, I had a new start on the frame next to mine. within a couple of hours, he was frogmarched from the premises--- apparantly he had been emplyed with R/M previously, and had been sacked for stealing!
The onus must now lie with the management to stamp this out---seems to be for all the 'observing' they do, they cannot catch folks who at the very least must at times be acting suspiciously--






'
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by Indy »

Agreed to an extent BUT I would suspect that a large number of the people caught or who do steal at RM are doing it in an opportunistic way for the first time. Last week I got an Amazon packet and the flap at the end had flattened and I could quite clearly see that it contained an iPod. I of course delivered it correctly... somebody else even a 100% honest person might have thought I'll have that how could they catch me?? last year was at a Mail Centre doing Christmas overtime and throwing off packets. At the bottom of one of the autolevels was a new boxed compact camera (Comet sold them for £249) that had fallen out of something. Again I'm sure if somebody had been tempted they could have maybe nicked it. Temptation, Temptation, Temptation... even for the most honest people. A manager took the item away to who knows where? again RM have to trust people.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by stokes11eg »

For opportunistic, read chancer!
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by Indy »

stokes11eg wrote:For opportunistic, read chancer!
Exactly!
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by REDLETTER »

Indy wrote:Agreed to an extent BUT I would suspect that a large number of the people caught or who do steal at RM are doing it in an opportunistic way for the first time. Last week I got an Amazon packet and the flap at the end had flattened and I could quite clearly see that it contained an iPod. I of course delivered it correctly... somebody else even a 100% honest person might have thought I'll have that how could they catch me?? last year was at a Mail Centre doing Christmas overtime and throwing off packets. At the bottom of one of the autolevels was a new boxed compact camera (Comet sold them for £249) that had fallen out of something. Again I'm sure if somebody had been tempted they could have maybe nicked it. Temptation, Temptation, Temptation... even for the most honest people. A manager took the item away to who knows where? again RM have to trust people.
Its like when a new Game comes out, Call of Duty Black Ops, for example, the customers all want to be the first to have it, so it is sent out to arrive on the release date, We all know that the Amazon, Play etc that are delivered on that day are most likely to be this product. (Especially if it is a low volume of packets day!)

How easy is it for some to be "lost" in transit, from all areas of the RM system!

With the tracking system, if PDAs were available for the Postie on the street then, the theft of these items should drop dramatically.

But its still a case of s*d the private customer, who sends the odd thing through ebay etc a few stamps or send it SD

We should have the trust of the Customer and Supplier, pity we don't get it from RM!
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by Indy »

REDLETTER wrote:
Indy wrote:Agreed to an extent BUT I would suspect that a large number of the people caught or who do steal at RM are doing it in an opportunistic way for the first time. Last week I got an Amazon packet and the flap at the end had flattened and I could quite clearly see that it contained an iPod. I of course delivered it correctly... somebody else even a 100% honest person might have thought I'll have that how could they catch me?? last year was at a Mail Centre doing Christmas overtime and throwing off packets. At the bottom of one of the autolevels was a new boxed compact camera (Comet sold them for £249) that had fallen out of something. Again I'm sure if somebody had been tempted they could have maybe nicked it. Temptation, Temptation, Temptation... even for the most honest people. A manager took the item away to who knows where? again RM have to trust people.
Its like when a new Game comes out, Call of Duty Black Ops, for example, the customers all want to be the first to have it, so it is sent out to arrive on the release date, We all know that the Amazon, Play etc that are delivered on that day are most likely to be this product. (Especially if it is a low volume of packets day!)

How easy is it for some to be "lost" in transit, from all areas of the RM system!

With the tracking system, if PDAs were available for the Postie on the street then, the theft of these items should drop dramatically.

But its still a case of s*d the private customer, who sends the odd thing through ebay etc a few stamps or send it SD

We should have the trust of the Customer and Supplier, pity we don't get it from RM!
I think that whatever you do people who want to steal will. The thing I would like to see is that people are caught as quickly and humanly possible and then have the book thrown at them as a deterrent to others. The current habbit of RM to gleefully announce that a person has been caught is kinda moot if they've been doing it for years and involves 10's of thousands of quid. It should be a deterrent to nicking not a semi-valid careers option advertisement :arrrghhh
haveagojoe
Posts: 159
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 18:14
Gender: Male
Location: You Guess

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by haveagojoe »

You can't always blame casuals for this as most postys in a cetain part of Liverpool will know, when one thieving scumbag of a cluster manager was caught thieving from every office he stepped into,and we all know who he is don't we boys and girls!
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by Indy »

haveagojoe wrote:You can't always blame casuals for this as most postys in a cetain part of Liverpool will know, when one thieving scumbag of a cluster manager was caught thieving from every office he stepped into,and we all know who he is don't we boys and girls!
I guess he was caught and is now being dealt with!
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by smokerjim »

Indy wrote:
haveagojoe wrote:You can't always blame casuals for this as most postys in a cetain part of Liverpool will know, when one thieving scumbag of a cluster manager was caught thieving from every office he stepped into,and we all know who he is don't we boys and girls!
I guess he was caught and is now being dealt with!
If it's RM's usual way of dealing with thieves ( of any grade ), then they will be told "Quit now, without notice or future reference.....or we'll see you up before the beak!" ( wrong, wrong WRONG!!! :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh If they steal & you have proof - get the CPS in, no ifs or buts, then take them to civil court, and ask for a proceeds of crime order against the estimate of what they stole :d'oh! :d'oh! .....if you thought you might get chokey AND your possessions repo'd to pay back what you nicked, would you be so quick to indulge? :hmmmm :hmmmm )
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
brykins
Posts: 44
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 14:33
Gender: Male

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by brykins »

Got to agree about not blaming casuals all the time. I'm a casual (this is my first post here) and would like to be taken on full time after Xmas and even after just six weeks in the job, I am extremely ashamed when I have to deliver an opened card or package. Even had some woman accusing me of stealing her Giro the other day.

Would even suggest that casuals aren't around long enough to work out how to detect the right cards and how to open them away from prying eyes....something the more experienced workers would know very well.

End of the day, there's LOTS of people working at RM and there'll always be some chancers. Would just be nice to have my own round some day and earn the trust of the people I deliver to.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: THEIVING BASTARDS

Post by Indy »

brykins wrote:would like to be taken on full time after Xmas
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!