ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is being a postie really a dream job?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by krussel »

I thinks its true that the job used to keep you fit with 2hr deliveries. However now we are hitting 4hr i think your doing more harm than good. The gov recommend a MAX 10,000 steps a day to keep tip top :Very Happy well iam hitting 22,000 on a heavy day so thats not going to do me any good long term. :sad:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by taurus88 »

There's no such thing as a dream job unless you're working for yourself, and even then there are no guarantees. We live in a numbers driven world where people can be recycled. You cannot expect much in any job and so long as I can retain the desire to do better in the future, I am able to enjoy my day's work without too many worries. I must say I've found it a lot easier since I started doing the job properly. At first I would get stressed out because I was concerned with finishing, worried about the perception of me both in work and out (in terms of 'the customer'), but now I realise that I am paid for 5 hours sans a half an hour meal relief, and my only contractual obligation is to fulfil those hours on a daily basis - anything else is in the hands of the gods. I don't obsess over an early finish, I don't feel intimidated by there being lots of mail or packets, whatever will be will be.

And I'll be home by half-two. :nana :nana :nana
jaylime
Posts: 331
Joined: 09 Jan 2009, 10:27
Gender: Male

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by jaylime »

I have loads of walkers and mountain bikers,say they wish they had my job.Some say it in the summer when its lovely and warm with blue skies,and the views are fantastic.But i always say try being up here in the hills when its pishing down and blowing a gale,there answer is,i would still love.Yeah mate course u would.
Thehair
Posts: 221
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 22:35
Gender: Male

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by Thehair »

post_bitch wrote:
Thehair wrote:I still really like it :Very Happy ...Am I in the minority?
I come in on my time, take my breaks, don't use a car and if I go over I book OT
WOW ! your sooooo amazingggggg
The wife thinks so too :Very Happy
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by DGP1 »

krussel wrote:I thinks its true that the job used to keep you fit with 2hr deliveries. However now we are hitting 4hr i think your doing more harm than good. The gov recommend a MAX 10,000 steps a day to keep tip top :Very Happy well iam hitting 22,000 on a heavy day so thats not going to do me any good long term. :sad:
Lightweight :wink:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
lekker
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 364
Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 21:26
Gender: Male

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by lekker »

meercat wrote:Lightweight. They only had a few bundles back then.
No d2bins, Amazon packets, light bulbs, did they even have recordeds in the 60's????

One old guy told me though he used to deliver rabbits tied with a bit of string and a stamp on the foot. Lol.
That's true enough :Very Happy We also used to have phartridges and peasants to deliver with just a label on - Oh happy days :roll:
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by baldrick »

krussel wrote: The gov recommend a MAX 10,000 steps a day to keep tip top :Very Happy well iam hitting 22,000 on a heavy day so thats not going to do me any good long term. :sad:
I used to wear a pedometer and kept trying to increase my steps per day until I was doing 15-20,000 per day.
But it resulted in me getting plantar fasciitis, and hobbling about for 9 months.
post_bitch
Posts: 913
Joined: 25 Jun 2010, 14:52
Gender: Female

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by post_bitch »

Image
clean and original ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkC9cK8Hz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mickyplum
Posts: 24
Joined: 01 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by mickyplum »

It was a dream job when I started in 1974, one bag per walk, two on a heavy day, no door to dustbin crap, plenty of overtime, especially in summer. great morale and RM made a profit. Two many overpaid managers and other "hanger ons" now.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by DGP1 »

lekker wrote:
meercat wrote:Lightweight. They only had a few bundles back then.
No d2bins, Amazon packets, light bulbs, did they even have recordeds in the 60's????

One old guy told me though he used to deliver rabbits tied with a bit of string and a stamp on the foot. Lol.
That's true enough :Very Happy We also used to have phartridges and peasants to deliver with just a label on - Oh happy days :roll:

Is that a gassy partridge :shock: :nervous :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
lekker
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 364
Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 21:26
Gender: Male

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by lekker »

DGP1 wrote:
lekker wrote:
meercat wrote:Lightweight. They only had a few bundles back then.
No d2bins, Amazon packets, light bulbs, did they even have recordeds in the 60's????

One old guy told me though he used to deliver rabbits tied with a bit of string and a stamp on the foot. Lol.
That's true enough :Very Happy We also used to have phartridges and peasants to deliver with just a label on - Oh happy days :roll:

Is that a gassy partridge :shock: :nervous :nervous
some of 'em were pretty ripe by the time we got them :cool
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by BELIAL »

what about the peasants?
Bye
lekker
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 364
Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 21:26
Gender: Male

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by lekker »

BELIAL wrote:what about the peasants?

They did the delivering and yes they were revolting as usual :Sick :Very Happy :Very Happy
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

Post by DGP1 »

lekker wrote:
BELIAL wrote:what about the peasants?

They did the delivering and yes they were revolting as usual :Sick :Very Happy :Very Happy
Are they chewy :nervous or are they nice and tender :chuckle :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio