ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by TeeferTiger »

stokes11eg wrote::Very Happy I'm grateful for anything! but there are a few regulars who wait until after Christmas, and then give me what is usually their unwanted gifts! However, now I'm on a different round, I expect nothing! And, how much do you give your own postie by the way! Use to give my regular a fiver, but no time for the chancer who does my house now, so he will be getting nowt! One year, I must have had about twenty tins of those 99pence boxes of cheap biscuits!
I give the regular postie a large tin of cadbury heroes and the 2 reserves I see, a box of the same each.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by taurus88 »

I've never tipped my postman before. It's because I never ever have the chance to see him due to being at work/out - I don't even know his name. Even if I did desire to tip him, and now that I think about it I certainly wouldn't mind, I wouldn't know the proper 'tip etiquette'. Personally, I prefer not to tip with money. Obviously that's the easiest way as it takes all thought out of the equation, but I'd rather buy something, be it chocolatey or alcoholy, that he would like as a small token of appreciation. Anything around £10 would seem appropriate, with a Christmas card on top.

Ideas?
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by TeeferTiger »

taurus88 wrote:I've never tipped my postman before. It's because I never ever have the chance to see him due to being at work/out - I don't even know his name. Even if I did desire to tip him, and now that I think about it I certainly wouldn't mind, I wouldn't know the proper 'tip etiquette'. Personally, I prefer not to tip with money. Obviously that's the easiest way as it takes all thought out of the equation, but I'd rather buy something, be it chocolatey or alcoholy, that he would like as a small token of appreciation. Anything around £10 would seem appropriate, with a Christmas card on top.

Ideas?
I've previously given him money as well as chocolates but I can't this year as I'm still off sick.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by wiganpostie »

Ive only been on my current duty for a few weeks, but got my first Christmas tip today - a card and a box of Nestle Black Magic. Very nice they were, too om nom nom
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by krussel »

post_bitch wrote:£1250 last year :oops:
Wow thats a lot :shock: :shock: :shock:

Take the £1k off and you have my all time personal best in 20 years :left:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by Indy »

post_bitch wrote:£1250 last year :oops:
How does that work out... do you have 625 drops each giving you £2 or is it a few people giving like £50's?

For the record my best ever year was 2 years ago when I cleared £22.50 normally its between £10 and £20 :arrrghhh
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by stokes11eg »

Indy wrote:
post_bitch wrote:£1250 last year :oops:
How does that work out... do you have 625 drops each giving you £2 or is it a few people giving like £50's?

For the record my best ever year was 2 years ago when I cleared £22.50 normally its between £10 and £20 :arrrghhh
:Very Happy Yes, I thought Post bitch only began her career with us a few months ago!!
Postman Plodd
Posts: 596
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 15:53
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by Postman Plodd »

couple of hundred quid 3 Xmases ago, 3 quid the year after (it was a mistake, she meant to tip the regular postie but felt bad for me), absolutely f*ck all last year and i reckon i'll have people demanding money from me this year. F*ck being a cover at Xmas!
Wednesday
Posts: 143
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by Wednesday »

£250 last year mostly from people who hardly get any mail . naff all from the ones who get packets every day , once got a pot plant just what you want to carry round all day!
Broxi51
Posts: 1154
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
Location: Scotland

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by Broxi51 »

taurus88 wrote:I've never tipped my postman before. It's because I never ever have the chance to see him due to being at work/out - I don't even know his name. Even if I did desire to tip him, and now that I think about it I certainly wouldn't mind, I wouldn't know the proper 'tip etiquette'. Personally, I prefer not to tip with money. Obviously that's the easiest way as it takes all thought out of the equation, but I'd rather buy something, be it chocolatey or alcoholy, that he would like as a small token of appreciation. Anything around £10 would seem appropriate, with a Christmas card on top.

Ideas?
If I am your postie then alcoholy please :chuckle
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by krussel »

Wednesday wrote:£250 last year mostly from people who hardly get any mail . naff all from the ones who get packets every day , once got a pot plant just what you want to carry round all day!
Welcome to the forum Wednesday :wave

Yes its funny how the regular packet addicts open and close the door as quick as possible around christmas time :left: Its always the little old lady who lives on her own who gives you a card with a fiver in it.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
tb35
Posts: 40
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 19:00
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by tb35 »

I got some seeds once from a large corporate company that the queen used to have something to do with :Very Happy
montriff
Posts: 243
Joined: 24 Feb 2009, 17:37
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by montriff »

i don't care if it's a tenner,fiver, a few sweets, or just a card it makes me happy that they appreciate the job i do for them all year . The other 90% of my customers don't give a f**k :Boo hoo! .Just think if every household gave you just a quid
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by RedBagMan »

montriff wrote:Just think if every household gave you just a quid
mmmm ....£608 :Very Happy
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

montriff wrote:i don't care if it's a tenner,fiver, a few sweets, or just a card it makes me happy that they appreciate the job i do for them all year . The other 90% of my customers don't give a f**k :Boo hoo! .Just think if every household gave you just a quid
You had to go and find a reason to support 2 in a van didn't you :sad: :sad: :sad:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.