I think we have to accept the mobile phones are a necassary evil and I'm sure we've all taken or made calls when being served in a shop. As long as there's no delay in dealing with the customer I couldn't care less if they ride a unicycle while I serve them.
I also think it's quite ironic that a thread about manners has so many ill-mannered replies.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
manners cost sod all
-
arty_morty
- Posts: 282
- Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: manners cost sod all
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: manners cost sod all
Nope we all haven't - some of our mamas done raised us good.arty_morty wrote:I'm sure we've all taken or made calls when being served in a shop.
-
bedfordrl
- Posts: 386
- Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 22:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: North East Hampshire
Re: manners cost sod all
Bluetooth gets my goat, I always think they are talking to me then look a nit when it turns out they are use their Borg implant.
-
belle smith
- Posts: 1557
- Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 17:41
- Gender: Male
- Location: scotland
Re: manners cost sod all
You don't answer your phone then?taurus88 wrote:Nope we all haven't - some of our mamas done raised us good.arty_morty wrote:I'm sure we've all taken or made calls when being served in a shop.
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: manners cost sod all
Not when I'm being served in a shop.belle smith wrote:You don't answer your phone then?taurus88 wrote:Nope we all haven't - some of our mamas done raised us good.arty_morty wrote:I'm sure we've all taken or made calls when being served in a shop.
Not when I'm involved in a social interaction such as answering the door.
Not when it might be deemed a faux pas to answer, such as at a funeral, during a minute's silence, etc.
Not when there is the POSSIBILITY that it might appear rude to answer, even in the company of a stranger.
There are certain rules of etiquette that one should abide by irrespective of who they are with and what they are doing. There are very few phone calls in life that are so urgent as to require an immediate answer. OBVIOUSLY, if somebody is waiting for a very important phone call then I shall do them the service of forgiving them for being rude should they answer their phone in my face. However, I'm sick to death myself of encountering people who think it's socially acceptable to answer the phone mid-conversation and just put a hand up to me and say 'wait' - and these are my friends or family, for frak's sake.
This is before I even get into my experiences working in shops. It seems that shop workers are glorified servants nowadays, to wait on the customer hand and foot, and abide by their laws. Frankly, I think it's appalling. I myself am the model of courtesy when I enter a shop and would not dream of demeaning or insulting anyone working in there by being a self-concerned and rude little bastard. Why other people in the world think it is somehow the done thing to be deliberately rude, I don't know. It's about time youngsters were taught manners. It's no wonder the world is a less courteous and kind place than the oldies remember it as being.
-
belle smith
- Posts: 1557
- Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 17:41
- Gender: Male
- Location: scotland
Re: manners cost sod all
Aye, think we might be talking at cross purposes here. i wouldn't stick my hand up and say wait mid conversation to answer the phone, especially with someone i didn't know and someone who was in the middle of doing their job.taurus88 wrote:[There are certain rules of etiquette that one should abide by irrespective of who they are with and what they are doing. There are very few phone calls in life that are so urgent as to require an immediate answer. OBVIOUSLY, if somebody is waiting for a very important phone call then I shall do them the service of forgiving them for being rude should they answer their phone in my face. However, I'm sick to death myself of encountering people who think it's socially acceptable to answer the phone mid-conversation and just put a hand up to me and say 'wait' - and these are my friends or family, for frak's sake.
If i was in a cue and not at the front i would answer the phone though.
on getting to the front of the cue i would tell the person i was talking to (on the phone) to hold on a second.
i would consider it rude if i were instructed by someone i didn't know to hang up.
-
Nobodyshero
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Re: manners cost sod all
[quote="arty_morty"]I think we have to accept the mobile phones are a necassary evil and I'm sure we've all taken or made calls when being served in a shop. As long as there's no delay in dealing with the customer I couldn't care less if they ride a unicycle while I serve them.
Not me, I don't have a mobile .
Not me, I don't have a mobile .