ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
brasseye
Posts: 69
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by brasseye »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Well RJ you certainly opened a can of worms there! Between yourself And T88 I think you've covered most of the main problems. :Applause

Don't you just love this site? When people start moaning in my DO (about what ever) I recommend they visit here. Just to prove that It's not just our Office that is a Total Bloody Shambles! :crazy:

You must remember RJ that, "Everybody elses time is more important than yours!" :arrrghhh Just relax and try not to get stressed over it. You can only do a days work in a day! (I know RM would like you to do more) If you feel strongly about it, do the extra prep, figure out how much of your contracted day is left and say to the DIM, "You've got 4 hours work left out of me and then I'm cutting off and coming back!" If the DIM has to pay someone else to finish your Duty he'll soon make sure it's prepped properly. After all he's already payed the person who should have prepped it, and they've knocked off early :no no

We have to be careful though not to develop an US v THEM mentality, we're all in the same boat, although some of us are rowing harder than others! :whistle RM really like to Divide and Conquer. :no no


Absolutely spot on Dorset !
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by Pat Ostman »

McLovin, just noticed something else you put. Are you serious? Everyone leaves at the same time, only when ALL rounds are ready to leave the office?

Must be a small office, would not work in ours as we have over 100 rounds.

In a way your system works as it would make sure rounds were ready for the unfortunate people on redicolous contracts.
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by HTPostman »

LukeyBoy wrote:But a few that you mentioned that really get me are walk never ever thrown in,and the amount of miss-sorts .I know for a fact whatever walk im on there will be at least 10 of them.
I once had 38 missorts in my first 2 bags. I put them all back in the nearest post box, with "All misprepped by manager"
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by Brainache »

NewPostieUK wrote:

By far the worst thing about being a part timer, is no overtime rate. Overtime gets paid at the same rate as normal hours. I don't care what anyone says, if you work one hour overtime, you should get one hour at overtime rate, regardless of your contracted hours.
FT overtime rate is virtualy the same- Time/third, Time/half went years ago in the "Way Forward" :left agreement so your only missing out on a few pennies.
I took a buy down and with the most seniority in the office I am "semi-retired" not part time- the others hate it when they get my old work to do :nana
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by NewPostieUK »

Brains wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:

By far the worst thing about being a part timer, is no overtime rate. Overtime gets paid at the same rate as normal hours. I don't care what anyone says, if you work one hour overtime, you should get one hour at overtime rate, regardless of your contracted hours.
FT overtime rate is virtualy the same- Time/third, Time/half went years ago in the "Way Forward" :left agreement so your only missing out on a few pennies.
I took a buy down and with the most seniority in the office I am "semi-retired" not part time- the others hate it when they get my old work to do :nana
Beg to differ. I get paid the same for overtime as I do for the first 25 hrs, not time and a third.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by Indy »

POSTMAN wrote:Retro,did you go to school part time as well! That is so f***ing hard to read mate.
Image
I am going STRAIGHT to Hell but I have to say thats the funniest thing I've read in ages! I know I shouldn't laugh but I have tears in my eyes :Very Happy
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by Caniel »

RetroJunkie wrote:ive had mailsort left over from Saturday where they didn't even bother throwing it off , n then realized once id fully tied up.
Just thought I'd point out that mailsort doesn't have to go on a Saturday, I always take it because it saves doing it on a Monday but if I have the Monday off I leave it.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by Indy »

Caniel wrote:
RetroJunkie wrote:ive had mailsort left over from Saturday where they didn't even bother throwing it off , n then realized once id fully tied up.
Just thought I'd point out that mailsort doesn't have to go on a Saturday, I always take it because it saves doing it on a Monday but if I have the Monday off I leave it.
I used to get 2ish bundles of Mailsort on Saturdays but these days its all mail from competitors which is 1st class. If I get 20 items of MS now it's alot! :(
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by Caniel »

Indy wrote:
Caniel wrote:
RetroJunkie wrote:ive had mailsort left over from Saturday where they didn't even bother throwing it off , n then realized once id fully tied up.
Just thought I'd point out that mailsort doesn't have to go on a Saturday, I always take it because it saves doing it on a Monday but if I have the Monday off I leave it.
I used to get 2ish bundles of Mailsort on Saturdays but these days its all mail from competitors which is 1st class. If I get 20 items of MS now it's alot! :(
I have to agree mailsort is down quite a bit. Last week I had Monday off so the Saturday before it I left the mailsort, it wasn't much but it meant I didn't have to go to the top floor of a lot of the flats and got to skip a lot of houses.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by Indy »

Caniel wrote:
Indy wrote:
Caniel wrote:
RetroJunkie wrote:ive had mailsort left over from Saturday where they didn't even bother throwing it off , n then realized once id fully tied up.
Just thought I'd point out that mailsort doesn't have to go on a Saturday, I always take it because it saves doing it on a Monday but if I have the Monday off I leave it.
I used to get 2ish bundles of Mailsort on Saturdays but these days its all mail from competitors which is 1st class. If I get 20 items of MS now it's alot! :(
I have to agree mailsort is down quite a bit. Last week I had Monday off so the Saturday before it I left the mailsort, it wasn't much but it meant I didn't have to go to the top floor of a lot of the flats and got to skip a lot of houses.
Sorry but I hate it when that happens.... if your doing it on Monday then you do it on Saturday but if you have it off on Monday then you leave it on Saturday. I know that most times its not reciprocated but I do it all on Saturday regardless of if I'm in on Monday. I guess its about everyone looking out for each other.... what happens if a council mass mailing happens on Monday?
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

I've always delivered mailsort on Saturdays, as I take the quiet days as they truely come.

Since my walk is now prepped for me including the D2D, it suits my prepper and me to deliver the D2D Monday to Wednesday, so that Thurs-Sat we both have less to deal with on these often busier days. It also means that my finish time for my own walk is often 1445-1515 Tues-Sat, rather than taking ~15 extra minutes per day Mon-Fri by doing 1/6 everyday. Just helps even the weekly delivery load/pressue, but I'm aware it does have its bad points, as strictly speaking I should be doing 1/6 D2D on a manic Friday and showing the "chain of command" that my walk could result in a finish at 1530 or even later (before I even start getting ready to do another walk's cut-off on o/t).
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by Brainache »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Brains wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:

By far the worst thing about being a part timer, is no overtime rate. Overtime gets paid at the same rate as normal hours. I don't care what anyone says, if you work one hour overtime, you should get one hour at overtime rate, regardless of your contracted hours.
FT overtime rate is virtualy the same- Time/third, Time/half went years ago in the "Way Forward" :left agreement so your only missing out on a few pennies.
I took a buy down and with the most seniority in the office I am "semi-retired" not part time- the others hate it when they get my old work to do :nana
Beg to differ. I get paid the same for overtime as I do for the first 25 hrs, not time and a third.
Yes, what I meant was that Time+third AND Time+half went years ago - FT posties OT rate is virtualy flat rate nowdays, same a yours. I don`t know the actual fraction-- Time+eighth or something hopless.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by fishtank »

Members have to move away from the "this is my work and i haven't enough time to do it" philosophy.
Royal Mail has changed and so must we.
These are my hours and i will do what i can within these hours.
If it's prep...it's prep.
If it's D2D...it's D2D.
If it's delivery...it's delivery......Whatever it is it's not rocket science whether you're part-time or full-time.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
farmer69
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Nov 2010, 13:26
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by farmer69 »

Ahmen to that, Fishtank :nana
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Being asked (and agreeing) to do 2/3 of another walk after my own, starting at just after 1500, resulting in "blind" delivery in the pitch black from ~1615 last night (really heavy cloud, it was getting "dark" just before 1500 instead of normal ~1630ish)...

Couldn't see house numbers easily; couldn't see addresses on mail easily, claimed O/T until just before 1830! :silenced

This morning approached lino and said I will carry on being the "mercenary" O/T postie if I am able to start work for my own round and be paid earlier than 0945. I could start at 0900, finish my own round by 1430 at the latest, then at least have 60-90 minutes of light to deliver cut-offs/abs.