ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
adb2aber
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 304
Joined: 01 Feb 2009, 15:37
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by adb2aber »

POSTMAN wrote:...(A maximum of 8 Special Delivery (SD) individual items per walk may be carried each day,
of which no more than 3 may be higher value SD items...
I assumed higher value items to be those with the higher compensation payouts - £1000, £2500 or £10000 as opposed to the normal £50. Stickers are the same, perhaps the PDA can tell you the value bracket?
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

adb2aber wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:...(A maximum of 8 Special Delivery (SD) individual items per walk may be carried each day,
of which no more than 3 may be higher value SD items...
I assumed higher value items to be those with the higher compensation payouts - £1000, £2500 or £10000 as opposed to the normal £50. Stickers are the same, perhaps the PDA can tell you the value bracket?
I think the high value is set to the type of property for eg, Banks, Jewellers, Post Offices - I may be wrong but I'm sure I once saw a list of High Value delivery points
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by fishtank »

dvbuk55 wrote:
adb2aber wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:...(A maximum of 8 Special Delivery (SD) individual items per walk may be carried each day,
of which no more than 3 may be higher value SD items...
I assumed higher value items to be those with the higher compensation payouts - £1000, £2500 or £10000 as opposed to the normal £50. Stickers are the same, perhaps the PDA can tell you the value bracket?
I think the high value is set to the type of property for eg, Banks, Jewellers, Post Offices - I may be wrong but I'm sure I once saw a list of High Value delivery points
Certain items are exempt from the Saturday Guarantee because they contain high value items.
This may be where you saw the list....
Items sent to the following business types addresses will not be covered under the Guarantee: Banks, Building Societies, Travel Agents, Jewellers and Post Offices. This is because Special Delivery items sent to these addresses are usually high value items.
Royal Mail does not at the moment have a Special Delivery(HV) option...they simply give the customer an option to purchase higher value insurance rather than the default £500.They have however made several applications to Postcomm to set up such a service in the last few years...ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/publi ... velsv2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Spot on FT :Applause , I am not worthy.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by POSTMAN »

Yet at no time has anyone at the depot raised the subject of "high value specials" and a three limit...
That is because your office does not have access to a controversially darkside-ish where those at the top can't be bothered-ish with type of site. :cuppa

Easy to type but hard as feck to read.
:crazy:
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
himster
Posts: 10
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 11:42
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by himster »

Got duties in our office take 30+ plus specials + double figures in tracked. 2 town deliveries have 15 + each day. These figures are on normal days. Should change next week when revision comes in.
Lateagainpostie
Posts: 393
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 18:17
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by Lateagainpostie »

It's the time it takes to complete them, I had twenty recordeds + 4 SD's four last Saturday, based on an average 3 mins per item that added 75 mins to my walk !!

It would be interesting to know how many RM use to "time" a walk
If you love Man Utd, you'll love my forum Talkingreds
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by wiganpostie »

I'm sure there's a secret society operating on my duty, and I've decided to call them the Recorded Delivery Moron's Club.
And the first rule of Recorded Delivery Moron's Club is.. they do not talk about Recorded Delivery Moron's Club. Instead, they go on the internet and order lots of useless s*^&e. The second rule of Recorded Delivery Moron's Club is, they DO NOT talk about Recorded Delivery Moron's Club. They don't answer their doors either, especially not to the nice man who is trying to deliver the pointless, soul-sapping garbage that they ordered above. :arrrghhh
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by fishtank »

I had the Christmas vouchers yesterday..two specials...£3000 in vouchers for 1 drop. :nervous
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
overworked
Posts: 55
Joined: 22 May 2007, 16:45
Gender: Male
Location: Eastern Bloc

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by overworked »

To clear up the debate about what constitutes a "high value" SD item...

They are inland "silver" items (plastic pouches) and foreign insured items addressed to:

Banks
Building Societies
Jewellers
Post Offices
Travel Agents (including, for example, supermarkets who offer travel money services)

In my office they are all delivered by drivers.
I'm a Postman at the Henley Road Delivery Office in Cambridge.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by stokes11eg »

It used to be the case that if you had more than 25 sighnrd for items you were supposed to get help. Ha Inour area, when it's that time of the year for councils to letter all the non rent/council tax payers, recordeds hit the roof, and of course no one answers the door!
wardroom
Posts: 97
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 19:17

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by wardroom »

Drivers now take all specials and tracked items,I had 58 specials and about 40 tracked a couple of weeks ago but always in the 70/80 items daily. Strugle to clear on time also EVERYTHING in the back of van. Then they want you to do packets , firms and bag drops. Was given an interview regarding security, read the document and hey ho cannot complete most days. Before we would go out of our way to get things done but now :whistle . Cannot wait for xmas pressure to arrive normal hours for me, no O/T.
old-postie
Posts: 59
Joined: 15 Jan 2010, 21:47
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by old-postie »

if you worked for rm long enough do you remember the orange books used to get signiatures for recorded deliveries?

they had 12 spaces for entries on each page, all the numbers had to be hand written because this predated bar codes and the book had to be returned to the office each day.

one long day, many, many years ago i had 5 pages worth of recordeds ( all electricity bills) or in other words 60 of the f@cking things to deliver :crazy: :cry
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Specials and Sign Fors - how many ?

Post by dvbuk55 »

old-postie wrote:if you worked for rm long enough do you remember the orange books used to get signiatures for recorded deliveries?

they had 12 spaces for entries on each page, all the numbers had to be hand written because this predated bar codes and the book had to be returned to the office each day.

one long day, many, many years ago i had 5 pages worth of recordeds ( all electricity bills) or in other words 60 of the f@cking things to deliver :crazy: :cry
Yes I remember them I believe they went out of service about 95/6? I don't remember if we handed them in though or kept them and just had them checked every now and again......I think that is more likely