ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

A sentence that RM don't understand

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by TeeferTiger »

first_class_stamp wrote:Christmas is coming too. Don't think I can do this job any more but I have a family to support and no skills to fall back on to get another job, not that there are any job's out there. Sometimes I think topping myself is the only way out.
Topping yourself certainly isn't the only way out. I doubt very much your daughter/family would think that either.

There are people you can talk to outside of RM that can help if you ever get those sorts of thoughts (I'm thinking Samaritans), and don't think you're stupid for feeling the way you do or for wanting to talk to someone about it.

If you get sick pay, I'd advise a trip to the Dr's and tell them everything that's been going on. If they advise some time off, I'd take it.

Your health comes first and foremost. I know it's easier said than done, but don't let the bastards grind you down. I've been in your position and felt "obliged" to take the lot out even though I knew I wouldn't finish on time and been in tears whilst out on delivery. It's not nice, but work isn't the be all and end all. You have a family, switch off about work when you leave the office and concentrate on them.

Also possibly consider doing a college course or something to improve your skills? There is funding available for many things and evening courses/distance studying.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
dubnut
Posts: 20
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 19:29
Gender: Male

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by dubnut »

Definately ring up the RM helpline.
They have been great with me & (all) my problems. They've sorted lots of things out and were very understanding when I have rung up.
post_bitch
Posts: 913
Joined: 25 Jun 2010, 14:52
Gender: Female

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by post_bitch »

jesus christ bullied to suicide ( or even think about ) by a dom
clean and original ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkC9cK8Hz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by dohnut »

post_bitch wrote:jesus christ bullied to suicide ( or even think about ) by a dom

Maybe you should change your name to heartless bitch, give the guy a break, this job is bad enough.
post_bitch
Posts: 913
Joined: 25 Jun 2010, 14:52
Gender: Female

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by post_bitch »

dohnut wrote:
post_bitch wrote:jesus christ bullied to suicide ( or even think about ) by a dom

Maybe you should change your name to heartless bitch, give the guy a break, this job is bad enough.
im not on his case i just think its shocking how hes been treated ,

this job really does break you :arrrghhh
clean and original ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkC9cK8Hz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by krussel »

first_class_stamp wrote::) thank you for both of your support and advise :) Has made me feel more positive knowing i'm not on my own. x
We have all been there over the years and its sometimes it feels impossible in the heat of the moment to say a NO and then you feel bad and stressed about working extra :sad:

When things have calmed down it may be worth stating once and for all that due to family you CANNOT work over, very sorry and all that. :Very Happy

Try not to let it get you down as we all feel trapped with the pressure of this job sometimes. :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by smokerjim »

First_Class, I'm not going to give you any new info, but you might appreciate a plan of action for the advice you've already got

1st: Right now, after you read this call HELP ( yes, I know RM pay for it or whatever their connection is....but you are treated in confidence & they have helped me in my depression, and helped friends at work ), it might seem silly or over reacting to call them and tell them what you've told us, but seriously thinking about suicide is not silly, and doing all you can to avoid it, is not over reacting Their number is 0800 6 888 777. The help they offer is very minimal ( I got 3 sessions, which barely scratched the surface, ) but I was on the waiting list for NHS groups therapy & they gave me the bridge I needed before the NHS gave me a start date.

2nd: From tomorrow morning have a more cynical attitude to management, anytime you have any announcement to make to a manager ALWAYS have a witness....the unit rep, deputy or H&S rep are good as well, but anyone you trust enough to back you up if you need them to will do. Also if the management ask you to do something or follow a proceedure that does not sound right, ask for their instruction in writing ( again, with a witness ) and inform them that you will not change your current proceedure until you get their letter.

3rd: Tomorrow morning, make an appointment with your GP, so you can tell him about your feelings of hopelessness, and the stress you feel under - don't bullshit him ( not unless he's the sort of tosser I used to have, that isn't intrested unless you're a quick, easy & CHEAP fix ), just tell him the truth and how hard you are finding it to cope, and ask for his advice. He might start you on the road to counselling, or therapy, he might prescribe something, or he might just say you need to get it off your chest & have someone to speak to, and suggest Samaritans, or a similar group....but he will have a good idea of how much help you will need, and the sooner you start asking for it, the sooner you get it.

4th: Anymore questions you have or advice you need, feel free to ask us here - we're normal people, a lot of us with the same problems now or in the past - you might think you're all alone, but we've been there, done that & we'd like you to do the same.
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
dubnut
Posts: 20
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 19:29
Gender: Male

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by dubnut »

Great advice smoker Jim, exactly what I've done. Slowly, very slowly on my way back up from the black pit. :nana
Broxi51
Posts: 1154
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
Location: Scotland

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by Broxi51 »

first_class_stamp wrote:Christmas is coming too. Don't think I can do this job any more but I have a family to support and no skills to fall back on to get another job, not that there are any job's out there. Sometimes I think topping myself is the only way out.
I am sorry that RM has turned your work into some kind of hell but dont let it win. There are downloads on this site. Start by looking through them and finding parts of agreements that help
whatever situation you find yourself in.
Am pretty sure for instance that in the P&M agreement it states that you must tell your DOM as soon as possible ONCE all your mail is thrown in. You actually were informing him sooner than you had to.
If i was you then I would look for that agreement and print it out, highlight in yellow that particular part and then next time you cant complete within your time and dont want OT then
go see your Dom with the agreement AND a witness. The Dom wont bother you with a witness there as he knows he was bullying before and he knows that a witness spells major shite for him if he tries it again
in front of others.

Good luck mate and remember its only a job. Your family is far more important than some bullying twat.
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.
NWpostie
Posts: 3622
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by NWpostie »

The biggest stress reducer is to TAKE CONTROL of your job, stand up to bullies, insist on your right to quality of life, the agreement states quite clearly that you work all you hours paid BUT at the same time, you WILL NOT be expected to work over your time if you don't want to.

If you know your walk is really crap and you cannot complete, that is your biggest strength, you can intimidate the bosses to follow you round on your delivery, chances are they will decline, as they may threaten to follow you round, call their bluff, they don't like going out of their cosy little Office in all weathers just to follow you round.


I have been threatened a few times, with assessments, prep check, mail counts, follow me around you name it they done it, I wasn't bothered, because if they treat me like shite i will treat the job the same, I fear no bullies, I took control of my job, I used to be like you uncertain, afraid sometimes a near nervous wreck, all I have now is cold anger against them :evil/mad I used the agreement, show them the documents sourced from this site, use every logical argument to show them up, since then they have treated me with a little more respect.

In fact they may be happy to palm me off with a generous VR :Very Happy
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: A sentence that RM don't understand

Post by dvbuk55 »

It is simply a question of saying NO and sticking to it - you are there to work x hours a day - he is there to manage the shortfall, he tells you that you must complete, you say NO, he tells you that you must complete - whether in a strop or not you said you would take it - his job is done you committed to work, on reflection you feel pressured but in reality it is an everyday occurrence across Royal Mail.