ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What would you do?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: What would you do?

Post by Stormproof »

I'm in the same boat aswell. AOD classed as an industrial injury. Been having trouble with my knee for nearly 2 years now, been threatened with the sack because of it aswell. RM ignores ATOS advice resulting in more injury to joint. GP signed me off last month and I've got my knee op next week. Depending on the outcome of surgery I guess I'll be either returning to work and begging to keep my job(again) or offered IHR.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: What would you do?

Post by TeeferTiger »

I've got an MRI scan in a few weeks... Then I can prove I've got a brain. Hopefully.

I think I'm quite lucky in that my Dr will stand up for me and if I was to return to work, he would put on the fit note what I was allowed to do. If RM went against that, then they'd be in trouble wouldn't they?

My ATOS Dr I saw also seemed to have quite a grudge against RM. Well, not so much a grudge, but no rose tinted glasses, he was well aware of what was going on.

Debbie, can you not go to your Doctor and ask him to say what you can and can't do and then return to work? I'd make sure I had assurances from RM though that if you have to go off again for any reason relating to your current problem, then it's exempt from the sickness procedure. I doubt they'll agree to that though...
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
Debbie
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2009, 20:03
Gender: Female

Re: What would you do?

Post by Debbie »

Aprilaydee wrote:I've got an MRI scan in a few weeks... Then I can prove I've got a brain. Hopefully.

I think I'm quite lucky in that my Dr will stand up for me and if I was to return to work, he would put on the fit note what I was allowed to do. If RM went against that, then they'd be in trouble wouldn't they?

My ATOS Dr I saw also seemed to have quite a grudge against RM. Well, not so much a grudge, but no rose tinted glasses, he was well aware of what was going on.

Debbie, can you not go to your Doctor and ask him to say what you can and can't do and then return to work? I'd make sure I had assurances from RM though that if you have to go off again for any reason relating to your current problem, then it's exempt from the sickness procedure. I doubt they'll agree to that though...
at the moment all drs, atos included have said i cannot do any work at this present time because of what i have and it could make it worse. no one can actually say how long this will be as they dont really know and it varies with person to person. because rm have no return date, they are pushing for ihr. I can appeal but even if in six months im still not right then it will happen anyway.
I have found out today that even after 20 years service all i will get is about £9000. not alot for ruining my life. apparently there are alot of ihr cases at the moment. Rm are making cuts and normally ihr are triggered after about six months but they seem to be putting them in after 1 month cos of cuts. typical.
see what happens in next few weeks but looks like im out. prob for the best the way things are with rm .
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: What would you do?

Post by stokes11eg »

:Very Happy Yes, it is probably for the best! Your health must come first, and do you really want to continue working for this company?
Thorby Bislam
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 495
Joined: 04 Jan 2008, 20:45
Gender: Male
Location: Desolation Row

Re: What would you do?

Post by Thorby Bislam »

Debbie, there are a few IHR related threads in the Union Room section. This is one of them. http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=30183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have a read through them, paying attention to 'easter bunny's' posts. That cat knows what he's talking about.
Just spilt stain-remover down my shirt. Now how do I get that out?
Debbie
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2009, 20:03
Gender: Female

Re: What would you do?

Post by Debbie »

Thorby Bislam wrote:Debbie, there are a few IHR related threads in the Union Room section. This is one of them. http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=30183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have a read through them, paying attention to 'easter bunny's' posts. That cat knows what he's talking about.

yes read them all thankyou.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: What would you do?

Post by Darren Bent »

if you got a massive lump sum and take it and use 50% of money to retrain yourself a skill. Assuming you can identify what skills UK need and your body can do it.
Debbie
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2009, 20:03
Gender: Female

Re: What would you do?

Post by Debbie »

Carew wrote:if you got a massive lump sum and take it and use 50% of money to retrain yourself a skill. Assuming you can identify what skills UK need and your body can do it.
a massive lump sum :shock: now i dont think £9000 is a massive sum . wont pay the bills for long lol
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: What would you do?

Post by TeeferTiger »

I don't suppose you're able to draw upon your pension either if you take ihr?

Are you able to do any admin work or anything?
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
Debbie
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2009, 20:03
Gender: Female

Re: What would you do?

Post by Debbie »

Aprilaydee wrote:I don't suppose you're able to draw upon your pension either if you take ihr?

Are you able to do any admin work or anything?
asked my union rep but he said even in the offices you do alot of typing and filling, still lifting stretching ect.
I cannot lift my arm forward higher than my waist, sideways even less and behind my back not at all. sudden movement really painful, and take pain killers everyday. dont think i have had a full nights sleep in months wakes me up. infact i avoid going to bed cos i cannot get comfy. lol :sad: im just falling to bits. :oops: good job ive got no sex life :cry
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: What would you do?

Post by TeeferTiger »

Debbie wrote:
Aprilaydee wrote:I don't suppose you're able to draw upon your pension either if you take ihr?

Are you able to do any admin work or anything?
asked my union rep but he said even in the offices you do alot of typing and filling, still lifting stretching ect.
I cannot lift my arm forward higher than my waist, sideways even less and behind my back not at all. sudden movement really painful, and take pain killers everyday. dont think i have had a full nights sleep in months wakes me up. infact i avoid going to bed cos i cannot get comfy. lol :sad: im just falling to bits. :oops: good job ive got no sex life :cry
When I had my AOD and the whole of my left side was buggered, I had bugger all sleep too. It hurt to lie on my right side for too long but I couldn't lie on my back or on my left so I do sympathise with you.

If it's likely to be a long term "disability" can you not get covered under DDA? I think it has to be a year or something though.

The main thing I'm concerned about is that jobs are hard to come by nowadays, especially if you have a poor sick record (even if it's not colds etc) so I worry that you may not get somewhere else and then you'll be worse off than being on half pay. I'm lucky in that, if I'm still off work come January, my OH can take the financial burden of me losing half of my (part time) wage.

If I were you, I'd start making a list of what things you can do without and what payments you can possibly reduce and see what the bare minimum you can live on is. It's depressing but I had to do it last year. I lived on Cheerios (bought by my parents mostly!) and cheesey pasta for a couple of months because I was so skint. I had to rehome my dog because I couldn't afford to feed him :cry The RSPCA gave me some food for him in the short term while they were waiting for space in their kennels and also gave me some cat food.

And I don't care what they say, eating healthier DOES cost more than buying crap food lol I worked out I could feed myself on £14 a week. I got rid of the TV to save money on the licence fee (and never bothered to get one since even though I can afford it). I turned off the heating in all rooms apart from the bedroom and bathroom and basically moved upstairs. I wore more jumpers and a couple of pairs of socks to keep warm and got the duvet if needed... Depressing but it worked.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
Debbie
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2009, 20:03
Gender: Female

Re: What would you do?

Post by Debbie »

Aprilaydee wrote:
Debbie wrote:
Aprilaydee wrote:I don't suppose you're able to draw upon your pension either if you take ihr?

Are you able to do any admin work or anything?
asked my union rep but he said even in the offices you do alot of typing and filling, still lifting stretching ect.
I cannot lift my arm forward higher than my waist, sideways even less and behind my back not at all. sudden movement really painful, and take pain killers everyday. dont think i have had a full nights sleep in months wakes me up. infact i avoid going to bed cos i cannot get comfy. lol :sad: im just falling to bits. :oops: good job ive got no sex life :cry
When I had my AOD and the whole of my left side was buggered, I had bugger all sleep too. It hurt to lie on my right side for too long but I couldn't lie on my back or on my left so I do sympathise with you.

If it's likely to be a long term "disability" can you not get covered under DDA? I think it has to be a year or something though.

The main thing I'm concerned about is that jobs are hard to come by nowadays, especially if you have a poor sick record (even if it's not colds etc) so I worry that you may not get somewhere else and then you'll be worse off than being on half pay. I'm lucky in that, if I'm still off work come January, my OH can take the financial burden of me losing half of my (part time) wage.

If I were you, I'd start making a list of what things you can do without and what payments you can possibly reduce and see what the bare minimum you can live on is. It's depressing but I had to do it last year. I lived on Cheerios (bought by my parents mostly!) and cheesey pasta for a couple of months because I was so skint. I had to rehome my dog because I couldn't afford to feed him :cry The RSPCA gave me some food for him in the short term while they were waiting for space in their kennels and also gave me some cat food.

And I don't care what they say, eating healthier DOES cost more than buying crap food lol I worked out I could feed myself on £14 a week. I got rid of the TV to save money on the licence fee (and never bothered to get one since even though I can afford it). I turned off the heating in all rooms apart from the bedroom and bathroom and basically moved upstairs. I wore more jumpers and a couple of pairs of socks to keep warm and got the duvet if needed... Depressing but it worked.
so sorry you had to rehome your dog. its times like this we need them more, im a big dog lover so I can understand how hard it must of been for you.
I admire your strenth and hope things turn out well for you in the end. it dosent matter to RM they dont care. the people who make the decissions will still have food on the table and holidays every year and drive around in their posh cars but hell to them, what goes around ect ect. lol
i have decided its time to pack up my RM uniform ( not that i had any) always wore my own stuff cos managers cock ups as usual. Im taking the pay off and giving up my flat ( rented ) moving back in with my parents who cannnot be more happy. it will help them out and my payoff will last me alot longer with not paying such high bills ect. gives me time to get my shoulder sorted and more chance of getting another job where they live. and To be honest I think its the best time to get out cos think things are going to get worse with RM anyway. admeration for all you posties, I know you all work damn hard dont let the company bring you down, you do not deserve it.
Debbie
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2009, 20:03
Gender: Female

Re: What would you do?

Post by Debbie »

sorry about spelling lol
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: What would you do?

Post by TeeferTiger »

Those good old elastic apron strings!! lol The only reason I didn't move back to my parent's is because I have a mortgage and I'm stubborn!! I didn't want to lose my home and all the money/effort I'd put in. Plus, the d*ckhead of an ex would've loved it.

Anyway, as they say, every cloud has a silver lining and you may find that this is the best thing you've ever done. I had a really crap 2009 but then I met my OH in March this year and I'm really, really happy. OK, I've got health issues at the moment, but I'm happy otherwise!

Best wishes for your future, I'm sure you'll be much better off and at least you can now concentrate on your health rather than worry about your job :Very Happy
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
Debbie
Posts: 97
Joined: 04 Jul 2009, 20:03
Gender: Female

Re: What would you do?

Post by Debbie »

Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:Just read it all Debs sorry. £9000 for 20yrs ??? Dont you dare!! Its used to be a grand for every year of service! Stickit out as long as you can girl. At the very leats get summat else sorted before you accept. £9k wont last you long
I know apparently it changed a few years ago amount you get ect and how they work it. think getting out is best if i try to fight then its just delaying the inevitable and i wont get anymore money thats what it will @ work out to.32hrs xweekly wage _ PILON plus shares :confused plus hols. yes crap for 20 years service but even the union have no power over that .
ONEDAY RM will get what they have got coming. :evil/mad lol