ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest postie

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by stokes11eg »

kilrenny wrote:just introduced 4 hour walks, which manager being told cannot be done in the time. he has told one colleague he will start timing them and another he will be using fastest worker as his yardstick
It's always amazed me that these' fastest' workers, who can do everyone's walk so much more quickly, are never actually tested on the walks--Although some folks are naturally slightly faster, there is no way these flyers can be so good;;they should be made to prove how they manage to do the walks so quickly!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by dvbuk55 »

stokes11eg wrote:
kilrenny wrote:just introduced 4 hour walks, which manager being told cannot be done in the time. he has told one colleague he will start timing them and another he will be using fastest worker as his yardstick
It's always amazed me that these' fastest' workers, who can do everyone's walk so much more quickly, are never actually tested on the walks--Although some folks are naturally slightly faster, there is no way these flyers can be so good;;they should be made to prove how they manage to do the walks so quickly!
Conveniently placed skips :hmmmm ...........................no, no just joking :nervous
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by fishtank »

dvbuk55 wrote:
stokes11eg wrote:
kilrenny wrote:just introduced 4 hour walks, which manager being told cannot be done in the time. he has told one colleague he will start timing them and another he will be using fastest worker as his yardstick
It's always amazed me that these' fastest' workers, who can do everyone's walk so much more quickly, are never actually tested on the walks--Although some folks are naturally slightly faster, there is no way these flyers can be so good;;they should be made to prove how they manage to do the walks so quickly!
Conveniently placed skips :hmmmm ...........................no, no just joking :nervous
It might not go as far as that dv but almost all of the flyers at my place have been caught for one thing or another at some point.
Running,jumping fences,deliberate missorting,hiding small packets with the big ones,doorstepping,not obtaining a signature...there are many ways to shave time off a delivery.
And then it's "I've only ever done it once....honest".
Dumb as a box of rocks the lot of them. :roll:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by stokes11eg »

fishtank wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
stokes11eg wrote:
kilrenny wrote:just introduced 4 hour walks, which manager being told cannot be done in the time. he has told one colleague he will start timing them and another he will be using fastest worker as his yardstick
It's always amazed me that these' fastest' workers, who can do everyone's walk so much more quickly, are never actually tested on the walks--Although some folks are naturally slightly faster, there is no way these flyers can be so good;;they should be made to prove how they manage to do the walks so quickly!
Conveniently placed skips :hmmmm ...........................no, no just joking :nervous
It might not go as far as that dv but almost all of the flyers at my place have been caught for one thing or another at some point.
Running,jumping fences,deliberate missorting,hiding small packets with the big ones,doorstepping,not obtaining a signature...there are many ways to shave time off a delivery.
And then it's "I've only ever done it once....honest".
Dumb as a box of rocks the lot of them. :roll:
:shock: Exactly---
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by dvbuk55 »

stokes11eg wrote:
fishtank wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
stokes11eg wrote:
kilrenny wrote:just introduced 4 hour walks, which manager being told cannot be done in the time. he has told one colleague he will start timing them and another he will be using fastest worker as his yardstick
It's always amazed me that these' fastest' workers, who can do everyone's walk so much more quickly, are never actually tested on the walks--Although some folks are naturally slightly faster, there is no way these flyers can be so good;;they should be made to prove how they manage to do the walks so quickly!
Conveniently placed skips :hmmmm ...........................no, no just joking :nervous
It might not go as far as that dv but almost all of the flyers at my place have been caught for one thing or another at some point.
Running,jumping fences,deliberate missorting,hiding small packets with the big ones,doorstepping,not obtaining a signature...there are many ways to shave time off a delivery.
And then it's "I've only ever done it once....honest".
Dumb as a box of rocks the lot of them. :roll:
:shock: Exactly---
I know the sort ft, and have followed them on the old style delivery teams. Crashing through hedges, one guy would deliver the whole cul de sac to the first house :crazy:, running - when the time was there to take OK I could see some point to it - but now that time has gone and yet they still do it :crazy:
underpants
Posts: 25
Joined: 09 Feb 2009, 23:22
Gender: Male
Location: wiltshire

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by underpants »

kilrenny wrote:just introduced 4 hour walks, which manager being told cannot be done in the time. he has told one colleague he will start timing them and another he will be using fastest worker as his yardstick
o well he would make his job harder if he done that.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by stokes11eg »

dvbuk55 wrote:
stokes11eg wrote:
fishtank wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
stokes11eg wrote:
kilrenny wrote:just introduced 4 hour walks, which manager being told cannot be done in the time. he has told one colleague he will start timing them and another he will be using fastest worker as his yardstick
It's always amazed me that these' fastest' workers, who can do everyone's walk so much more quickly, are never actually tested on the walks--Although some folks are naturally slightly faster, there is no way these flyers can be so good;;they should be made to prove how they manage to do the walks so quickly!
Conveniently placed skips :hmmmm ...........................no, no just joking :nervous
It might not go as far as that dv but almost all of the flyers at my place have been caught for one thing or another at some point.
Running,jumping fences,deliberate missorting,hiding small packets with the big ones,doorstepping,not obtaining a signature...there are many ways to shave time off a delivery.
And then it's "I've only ever done it once....honest".
Dumb as a box of rocks the lot of them. :roll:
:shock: Exactly---
I know the sort ft, and have followed them on the old style delivery teams. Crashing through hedges, one guy would deliver the whole cul de sac to the first house :crazy:, running - when the time was there to take OK I could see some point to it - but now that time has gone and yet they still do it :crazy:
Problem is, these flyers, and a graet many others still get to 'keep, this saved time!
:mad
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by OnAFlyer »

stokes11eg wrote:
kilrenny wrote:just introduced 4 hour walks, which manager being told cannot be done in the time. he has told one colleague he will start timing them and another he will be using fastest worker as his yardstick
It's always amazed me that these' fastest' workers, who can do everyone's walk so much more quickly, are never actually tested on the walks--Although some folks are naturally slightly faster, there is no way these flyers can be so good;;they should be made to prove how they manage to do the walks so quickly!
I would class myself as a quick postie - and I don't take any of the 'shortcuts' in this thread - I do the job properly but I naturally walk quickly.

A few years ago I tested the new walks (I volunteered) and did them at a 'normal' walking pace to an average of 3.30. At my own pace though I can do them in under 3hrs and some in a fair bit less - the posties that work at an average pace get them done within time, the slow ones sometimes go over but that's not because the walks are too long.

Don't make out that everyone who doesn't take 5hrs on a walk is doing allsorts wrong becaue it's not true. Some of the slower guys in our office never bring a packet back because they leave everyone they can't get rid of in blue bins.

Everyone works at their own pace.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by stokes11eg »

OnAFlyer wrote:
stokes11eg wrote:
kilrenny wrote:just introduced 4 hour walks, which manager being told cannot be done in the time. he has told one colleague he will start timing them and another he will be using fastest worker as his yardstick
It's always amazed me that these' fastest' workers, who can do everyone's walk so much more quickly, are never actually tested on the walks--Although some folks are naturally slightly faster, there is no way these flyers can be so good;;they should be made to prove how they manage to do the walks so quickly!
I would class myself as a quick postie - and I don't take any of the 'shortcuts' in this thread - I do the job properly but I naturally walk quickly.

A few years ago I tested the new walks (I volunteered) and did them at a 'normal' walking pace to an average of 3.30. At my own pace though I can do them in under 3hrs and some in a fair bit less - the posties that work at an average pace get them done within time, the slow ones sometimes go over but that's not because the walks are too long.

Don't make out that everyone who doesn't take 5hrs on a walk is doing allsorts wrong becaue it's not true. Some of the slower guys in our office never bring a packet back because they leave everyone they can't get rid of in blue bins.

Everyone works at their own pace.
:Very Happy Yes, there are a few 'genuinely quick folks in our office, who can do the jobs quickly and properly, but the real ;flyers= claim they can knock up to to a couple of hours from all the walks they cover. This is an insult to most of us who do the walks speedily but properly-----as I said before, these ones should be tested on all those walks.
belle smith
Posts: 1557
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 17:41
Gender: Male
Location: scotland

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by belle smith »

OnAFlyer wrote:I would class myself as a quick postie - and I don't take any of the 'shortcuts' in this thread - I do the job properly but I naturally walk quickly.
Do you stop at doors to check mail for next house, or do you do that while walking? i'll concead i do the latter. Do you close customers gates?
A few years ago I tested the new walks (I volunteered) and did them at a 'normal' walking pace to an average of 3.30. At my own pace though I can do them in under 3hrs and some in a fair bit less - the posties that work at an average pace get them done within time, the slow ones sometimes go over but that's not because the walks are too long.
Have they not been done by pegasus yet?
are you still eh... on a flyer, i mean do you still go home early?
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by OnAFlyer »

belle smith wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:I would class myself as a quick postie - and I don't take any of the 'shortcuts' in this thread - I do the job properly but I naturally walk quickly.
Do you stop at doors to check mail for next house, or do you do that while walking? i'll concead i do the latter. Do you close customers gates?
A few years ago I tested the new walks (I volunteered) and did them at a 'normal' walking pace to an average of 3.30. At my own pace though I can do them in under 3hrs and some in a fair bit less - the posties that work at an average pace get them done within time, the slow ones sometimes go over but that's not because the walks are too long.
Have they not been done by pegasus yet?
are you still eh... on a flyer, i mean do you still go home early?
I leave every gate as I find it, if it's a busy day I do check whilst walking though as most people would admit to.

Pegasus was run in our office a while ago and took 0 hours out, the walks were an average of 3.30 according to that.The new 4.15 walks are 40-50 mins longer than at present and are reasonable IMO, i'm still not sure how it's all going to fit into a 7.48hr day though when the revision goes through. It's not the walks that wil be the problem, it's the amount of indoor hours WSM's are supposed to save (they dont!)


And for going home early yes, we don't return to office and I admit i've worked to my time probably once in the last year, though with WSM's now in the office i'm must closer to it most days than it used to be.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by BELIAL »

Stakhanovite :left:
Bye
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

BELIAL wrote:Stakhanovite :left:
off to the Gulag with you Belial :left: :left: :left:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
belle smith
Posts: 1557
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 17:41
Gender: Male
Location: scotland

Re: Royal Mail Bullying 4 hour delivery timed on quickest po

Post by belle smith »

OnAFlyer wrote: I leave every gate as I find it, if it's a busy day I do check whilst walking though as most people would admit to. Yep me too. it isn't doing the job properly though.

Pegasus was run in our office a while ago and took 0 hours out, the walks were an average of 3.30 according to that.The new 4.15 walks are 40-50 mins longer than at present and are reasonable IMO, i'm still not sure how it's all going to fit into a 7.48hr day though when the revision goes through. It's not the walks that wil be the problem, it's the amount of indoor hours WSM's are supposed to save (they dont!)


And for going home early yes, we don't return to office and I admit i've worked to my time probably once in the last year, though with WSM's now in the office i'm must closer to it most days than it used to be.
Thanks for the reponce very candid.