ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The Mail is Down

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
axeman
Posts: 1733
Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 17:57

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by axeman »

blue1873 wrote:
Steviea34 wrote:
fishtank wrote:I'm not even interested in whether the mail is up,down or sideways.
I just wanted to know why the figures from the M/C were....wrong.
Is it the machines...the software...the operators...does all of the mail get counted by the machines?...that sort of thing.
Jelly babies FFS. :crazy:
It's not the machines mate, in our neck of the woods its the M.C staff cant be bothered
to record it properly if at all before sending out onto the loading bay.
Then we suffer cos the figures sent from the M.C bear no reflection on reality ;liar ;liar
GMC mech mail figures are checked hourly by SPRTS team and recorded on the night shift (don't know about the other shifts) Manager tells staff the following evening the amount the MECH AREA processed(like they are really that interested :whistle )Manual areas are different a lot of that mail is an estimate given that there are allsorts .... no not the sweeties you greedy bassa!of mail in those trays so sometimes a tray has 15-20 bulky letters and another has 500 cards in it but each is recorded as a full tray, some managers will tell you to record the bulky items as maybe as a 1/4 full tray but some don't and then again sometimes the staff forget or just can't be ars@d :confused but hey cut to the chase "do you trust RM with the figures they hand out" ;liar
WOW
it's that accurate then :shock: better tell 'tman' as he he thinks it gospel that the count IS accurate to a letter !! of course he's oblivious to direct bags (unopened untill it reaches the do's) spin and more spin all he knows :wink:
haveagojoe
Posts: 159
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 18:14
Gender: Male
Location: You Guess

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by haveagojoe »

I really don't care how its supposidly counted all I know is this, when I got this walk 6 years ago when we went into sdd I would take out 3 bags now I take out monday and tuesday 5 bags wednesday thursday friday 7 bags and on a saturday I used to take out 2 bags now it 5, no-one can tell me that the mail is down its the way its counted, why do you think they took the scales out from the DO's even our gaffer admits its going up this last 4 weeks have been a nightmare.
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by Tman »

You've never said that to me. :no no
Of course I have... :arrrghhh


What is wrong with you engineers
Nothing, as far as I know, but we do see the true bigger picture regarding what's happening to traffic in MCs, unlike DO blokes who can only use "but me bag's just as 'eavy as it was last week" logic as a rebuttal.
{I mean, have a look at (a certain other poster)'s erudite and errr, consistent contributions in this thread, then tell me if he really knows what's going on in his little world... :crazy: }


(wtf it's got to do with you lot anyway) anyway.
What, you mean MC closures and RM reorganisation shouldn't concern every employee? You must have your head stuck in your little dayglo delivery pouch thing... :cuppa
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16740
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by clashcityrocker »

Tman wrote:
No idea; should I care? Was that the original point? The headline above says "The mail is down" which has FA to do with what you've just written, or the DOM's mail quantities, so I don't reckon it was.
Keep up CCR :whistle
Right I understand now what has rattled your cage.
The title to the thread is - The Mail is Down
But if you read the post it says mail is down , most of it is down in my DO.
It was a reference to how busy we have been this week but it was most importantly, a play on words, a joke.
A joke you didn't get because you don't appear to have a sense of humour. Is that why you work with machines?
Try to understand this point:
The downturn in the economy which has affected traffic (among other things) has affected certain sectors of society more than others.
The figures for my DO show a 1% decline on this period last year and the increase in D2D has easily compensated for that. So the professors, consultants, MPs and their staff, media luvvies, pop stars, Lords, Ladies and gentlemen (and the odd dowager) that live in my neck of the woods are not seeing such a big decline in mail volumes. As the incidence of broadband connection is also well above the national average we have a huge increase in packets from online shopping - meaning our bags are bulkier than ever.
Your oh so clever machines might be counting less mail, but some of us are busier than ever.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by Tman »

The title to the thread is - The Mail is Down
But if you read the post it says mail is down , most of it is down in my DO.
It was a reference to how busy we have been this week but it was most importantly, a play on words, a joke.
Maybe it was, (very droll too, I'm sure..) but then the posting by "roger" referred to mail volumes dropping by 8%, and the thread moved on from there. Now you hark back to four pages ago?... :no no

A joke you didn't get because you don't appear to have a sense of humour. Is that why you work with machines?
No, it's because it pays good money, and is very satisfying. Do you deliver mail because you can't rise much above rewriting song lyrics and missing the point in threads like these? :wink:
Your oh so clever machines might be counting less mail, but some of us are busier than ever.
Yeah, and? Better busy than idle in these days of shrinking job's markets.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16740
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by clashcityrocker »

Tman wrote:
Maybe it was, (very droll too, I'm sure..) but then the posting by "roger" referred to mail volumes dropping by 8%, and the thread moved on from there.
"Roger" referred to mail volumes dropping by 8%.
Fishtank asked him why the "true count" never corresponded with the actual count in a DO
And you went on about jelly babies............... :left:
If you didn't have anything useful or intelligent to add to the debate, why did you join in?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by Tman »

"Roger" referred to mail volumes dropping by 8%.
Fishtank asked him why the "true count" never corresponded with the actual count in a DO
And you went on about jelly babies............... :left:
I thought it was a good analogy to show the pointless futility of claiming "the mail is down" on what turns up at a DO rather than what's been processed. As I previously said to you, it wasn't actually about jelly babies as such. I did try and make it light-hearted and pitched at the level of the recipient, but heigh-ho...
I rather hoped you'd understood the analogy, but sadly, apparently not.... :roll:
If you didn't have anything useful or intelligent to add to the debate, why did you join in?
And if you don't understand the point(s) made, why do you keep on posting the same old same old? :shhhhh
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16740
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by clashcityrocker »

Fishtank wasn't claiming the mail is down.
Which bit of that is too difficult for you to understand?
He simply asked why the "true count" wasn't very............ "true".

And you did try to pitch it at the level of the recipient?
Oh gee thanks Mr Really Clever Tman. So kind of you to try and keep things simple for us dumb posties.
Who the f**k do you think you are ? Albert Einstein?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by bunkerland »

Tman wrote: Do you deliver mail because you can't rise much above rewriting song lyrics and missing the point in threads like these? :wink:

Considering it was his own thread i would think it would be difficult for him to miss the point of it! :wink:
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by wiganpostie »

Tman wrote:
You've never said that to me. :no no
Of course I have... :arrrghhh


What is wrong with you engineers
Nothing, as far as I know, but we do see the true bigger picture regarding what's happening to traffic in MCs, unlike DO blokes who can only use "but me bag's just as 'eavy as it was last week" logic as a rebuttal.
{I mean, have a look at (a certain other poster)'s erudite and errr, consistent contributions in this thread, then tell me if he really knows what's going on in his little world... :crazy: }


(wtf it's got to do with you lot anyway) anyway.
What, you mean MC closures and RM reorganisation shouldn't concern every employee? You must have your head stuck in your little dayglo delivery pouch thing... :cuppa
What about blokes who observe "but me bag's are just as 'eavy as they were four years ago, only now I've got eight instead of six"?

The crux of the matter, which seems unfathomable to you, is that most "DO blokes" will trust their own eyes, watches, bulging fittings and recurring backaches when it comes to mail volumes rather then the mental meanderings of a sarcastic, selectively colour-blind bean counter with a barely concealed contempt for delivery workers. Christ, it's no wonder they never let you people outdoors. Oh, and I'd like some of the money returned to the rightful recipients from the cards you and your mates keep opening. "The sorting machine must have ripped it open" - yeah, pull the other one, it's got beans on it.
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by Tman »

="clashcityrocker"]Fishtank wasn't claiming the mail is down.
Which bit of that is too difficult for you to understand?
I never said he did, so "none of it" would be the answer.

And you did try to pitch it at the level of the recipient?
Oh gee thanks Mr Really Clever Tman. So kind of you to try and keep things simple for us dumb posties.
Not "dumb posties" but you in particular. After all, you've proved you have trouble following threads and recognising an analogy...
Who the f**k do you think you are ? Albert Einstein?
Weeeell, compared to some, eh Clash? :wink:

I take it you have no more valid points left to make (re mail volumes etc) then? :whistle
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16740
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by clashcityrocker »

Tman wrote: I thought it was a good analogy to show the pointless futility of claiming "the mail is down" on what turns up at a DO rather than what's been processed.
Who was claiming "the mail is down" on what had turned up at a DO?
It wasn't me. It wasn't Fishtank. So who?
Or were you simply going off on a "dumb posties" crusade without actually reading any of the thread.
Or maybe you didn't quite understand it, what with humour being involved an' all.
And maybe you thought it was a good analogy............... but it wasn't.
Back to your iLSM. :wave
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by DGP1 »

All I'm going to say is that I'm taking out more mail than ever, I used to take out 2/3 trays and now I'm taking out 8/9 (and insted of 3 1/2 hours it now takes over 5).Image :wink:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by POSTMAN »

Tman wrote:Of course I have... :arrrghhh
Enlighten me again or find the original post.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.