ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The Mail is Down

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:Fishing for what?
Guppies....maybe instead of a delivery span we could have a calorie span. :angel
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16740
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by clashcityrocker »

Why not? - it makes more sense.
You measure the outdoor element in calories not minutes.
In fact I'm e-mailing Moya now.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
roger
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 148
Joined: 17 Feb 2007, 18:51

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by roger »

grubberkick wrote:Reason for the mail down bollox is because they are not counting it all...
The manager in our office counts the mail himself to check the official count. He has shown me the difference in counts and it's unbelievable and this is ongoing day after day..
Deliberately manipulating the mail figures, wonder why :roll:

The reason for him counting is he is under enormous pressure from above to make more cuts in an office already unable to operate due to not enough staff, especially full time. Their figures make our budget and overtime claims look like we are inefficient... nice when they want more out of you, very convenient eh.. pass the blame downwards as usual, and as usual the tests rear their ugly heads..
I've worked for RM for well over 20 years now and this is a recurring cycle, seen it so many times. I believe it's why they keep rotating the management so they can just avoid issues and keep the cycle for ever spinning...

Rant over :Very Happy
I hate to be the bringer of bad news,but the mail is down.The true count is done at the MC.Most mail goes through the machines and that includes DSA,all the manual is also scanned .I have a duty that sees the figures,and in my area it's down about 8%.But for delivery postman your D2Ds more than make up for the drop in mail posted.
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by Tman »

I hate to be the bringer of bad news,but the mail is down.The true count is done at the MC.Most mail goes through the machines and that includes DSA,all the manual is also scanned .I have a duty that sees the figures,and in my area it's down about 8%.
Best of luck with that one. It's like :arrrghhh :arrrghhh getting that message across to DO posties.. :roll:

{Hey, you're not a "manger" are you, spreading those management lies.. :silenced }
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by fishtank »

roger wrote: I hate to be the bringer of bad news,but the mail is down.The true count is done at the MC.Most mail goes through the machines and that includes DSA,all the manual is also scanned .I have a duty that sees the figures,and in my area it's down about 8%.But for delivery postman your D2Ds more than make up for the drop in mail posted.
Why then when we do a manual count in the D.O.s are our figures normally 10-15% above the M/C's "true count"....?
It's not a dig,i'm genuinely interested in the possible reasons....apart from the usual "ten thumb delivery postie" quote. :roll:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16740
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by clashcityrocker »

One day last week the mail centre count for our flats was 3 000.
An actual count produced a figure of 13 000.
That's got nothing to do with whether we are counting 50 or 60 flats to a tray.
That's a s**t load of stuff that wasn't counted at all somewhere along the line.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by DGP1 »

Tman wrote:
I hate to be the bringer of bad news,but the mail is down.The true count is done at the MC.Most mail goes through the machines and that includes DSA,all the manual is also scanned .I have a duty that sees the figures,and in my area it's down about 8%.
Best of luck with that one. It's like :arrrghhh :arrrghhh getting that message across to DO posties.. :roll:

{Hey, you're not a "manger" are you, spreading those management lies.. :silenced }
Image I bloody hate mangers.............wait what am I supposed to be on abouts again :crazy: :crazy: :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by Tman »

If, as an example, you were an independant auditor doing an investigation on a jelly baby factory, and needed an accurate picture of just how many jelly babies the plant was making over a set period, would you-
a) go to Mr Hassan's sweet shop, open some bags of jelly babies, and count them, or
b) see how long the plant ran for, production rates, materials used, etc?

Hmm, hard one, eh?

After all, it's not like all those trays of mail which turn up at DOs haven't been mech'ed and accurately counted is it? :roll: Or maybe there's a little RM clerk in every MC (complete with evil grin) happily falsifying tray count figures just to pi** posties off?

It's not like there's any valid judgement to be drawn from the daily tray count at Blogthorpe-in-the-Marsh DO, either,eh?

{And not like it's not all been said many times before .... :whistle }
AlbertoGranado
Posts: 57
Joined: 25 Apr 2010, 15:16
Gender: Male
Location: Under Neon Loneliness

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by AlbertoGranado »

You would think they would notice all the miss sorts doing all these counts
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16740
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by clashcityrocker »

Tman wrote:
It's not like there's any valid judgement to be drawn from the daily tray count at Blogthorpe-in-the-Marsh DO, either,eh?
f**k knows what the rest of that post is about but anyway..........
The staffing level at Blogthorpe-in-the-Marsh may well be determined by the inaccurate count coming from the MC.
The DOM says to two hard working posties - there's 3000 flats . I want them sorted by 8am.
At 8am the two hard working posties have sorted 3000 flats but there's still another 10 000 left to sort.
So while you're counting jelly babies we are struggling with unrealistic workloads and failing mail.
So as FT asked - why are your figures so dreadfully inaccurate?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by Tman »

f**k knows what the rest of that post is about but anyway..........
Not that hard, surely?

The staffing level at Blogthorpe-in-the-Marsh may well be determined by the inaccurate count coming from the MC.
The DOM says to two hard working posties - there's 3000 flats . I want them sorted by 8am.
At 8am the two hard working posties have sorted 3000 flats but there's still another 10 000 left to sort.
So while you're counting jelly babies we are struggling with unrealistic workloads and failing mail.
So as FT asked - why are your figures so dreadfully inaccurate?
I don't have figures to be accurate or not. If I were you I'd blame the monkey who loads the yorks and tells the DOM, Dim (whatever the little quip is you blokes use) how many to expect.
But that's a far cry from disputing overall mail traffic is falling, in just the same way counting opened bags of jelly babies won't indicate how the factory production is doing.
Maybe you should reread the original post rather than rush to write a reply? Possibly you'll see the reasoning, although I did try and make it as simplistic as possible.

{The Jelly baby factory isn't a real place CCR- it's just to illustrate the (apparently difficult) point....I thought I'd better mention that before you take the thread off at a tangent thinking it was literal .. ohh, you already do, it seems :chuckle :chuckle }

I missed the old standard "mail traffic ain't down" threads though..it's been a while.. :whistle
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by fishtank »

Tman wrote: I don't have figures to be accurate or not. If I were you I'd blame the monkey who loads the yorks and tells the DOM, Dim (whatever the little quip is you blokes use) how many to expect.
Sorry Tman i overestimated your knowledge of the delivery process.
The monkey that loads the yorks doesn't tell the DOM anything.
The figures come directly from the M/C by the miracle of the "puter". :confused
And they are stil.....wrong so...do you actually know why? :roll:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by taurus88 »

Hold up.

Their figures can't be wrong. They say so.

Any discrepancy between our count and their count is because we can't count. They're very intelligent people, after all. And gratuitously condescending. Counting in multiples of one is a highly difficult and, more importantly, constitutes an incomprehensibly stressful task for ones such as ourselves. I therefore bow to the person who is telling me that 2+2=3 (that's RM's alternative on 2+2=5), even though I have the two sets of two in front of me, and they are quite clearly adding up to 4.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by POSTMAN »

Tman,what part of,'the figures the MC gives us is much lower than the real figure when counted properly' do you not understand?

Oh and i refer you to a previous post of mine that i have posted many times in the now infamous mail volume dropping poll thread and you have yet to answer!!!
POSTMAN wrote:I've said it before and i'll say it again.........
When a DSM stands in front of me and tells me the traffic figures of the day and it works out about 500 letters per frame and the frames we're having the conversation in front of (average 550 calls) are bulging with mail.....................
Then summin aint right!!! FFS!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
axeman
Posts: 1733
Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 17:57

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by axeman »

Tman wrote:
I hate to be the bringer of bad news,but the mail is down.The true count is done at the MC.Most mail goes through the machines and that includes DSA,all the manual is also scanned .I have a duty that sees the figures,and in my area it's down about 8%.
Best of luck with that one. It's like :arrrghhh :arrrghhh getting that message across to DO posties.. :roll:

{Hey, you're not a "manger" are you, spreading those management lies.. :silenced }

Yet again you make no mention of the direct bags ' tman 'obviously your a mech manager but do you know nothing of the other goings on within your domain ? might have peaks and troughs but the overall picture is it's certainly not down just ask a deliver officer !! :roll: