ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The Mail is Down

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16740
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by clashcityrocker »

Wiggins79 wrote:
Well, you see they claim you are wilfully delaying the mail, which they say is a sackable offence.
What you take out you are duty bound to deliver (unless there has been some unforeseen occurence like a van breaking down and drop bags not turning up)
You have to see a manger before leaving and make some prior arrangement regarding cutting off.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by taurus88 »

grubberkick wrote:Reason for the mail down bollox is because they are not counting it all...
The manager in our office counts the mail himself to check the official count. He has shown me the difference in counts and it's unbelievable and this is ongoing day after day..
Deliberately manipulating the mail figures, wonder why :roll:

The reason for him counting is he is under enormous pressure from above to make more cuts in an office already unable to operate due to not enough staff, especially full time. Their figures make our budget and overtime claims look like we are inefficient... nice when they want more out of you, very convenient eh.. pass the blame downwards as usual, and as usual the tests rear their ugly heads..
I've worked for RM for well over 20 years now and this is a recurring cycle, seen it so many times. I believe it's why they keep rotating the management so they can just avoid issues and keep the cycle for ever spinning...

Rant over :Very Happy
In other worlds, in other times, there would be a word for what RM is doing by using a generic figure to maintain the illusion of low/falling mail volumes. However, I am going to steer clear of it and say thank you, RM, for being delightfully honest and for maintaining your values and integrity with a consistently open appraisal of mail figures. Thank you, Royal Mail, thou art truly wondrous. Ignore these doubters, or else smite them.
AlbertoGranado
Posts: 57
Joined: 25 Apr 2010, 15:16
Gender: Male
Location: Under Neon Loneliness

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by AlbertoGranado »

I've been getting told that mail has fallen by 10% year on year for the last 15 years or so, soooooo that means i now take out minus mail!!!!!
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by taurus88 »

AlbertoGranado wrote:I've been getting told that mail has fallen by 10% year on year for the last 15 years or so, soooooo that means i now take out minus mail!!!!!
No it doesn't, but it would fall like so:

100
90
81
72.9
65.61
59.049
53.1441
47.82969
43.046721

As you can see, at those trends, after 15 years you'd be taking out 30 letters or so per 100 had the mail been falling consistently at 10% for 15 years. I wouldn't be surprised if mail had fallen somewhat, but probably only by around 10% overall. However, one has to wonder where d2ds are counted in this, seeing as they are 'live mail', and they also go into the bundles. And they're also paid for . . .

But no, they're just imaginary. Or they don't count.
grubberkick
Posts: 6
Joined: 22 Sep 2010, 15:45
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by grubberkick »

Wiggins79 wrote:
Stormproof wrote:
when you ring up management you get told you will get the sack if you cut off
I'd like to see RM try and defend themselves at an ET for that :cuppa
Well, you see they claim you are wilfully delaying the mail, which they say is a sackable offence.

And yes, it really gets to me about the banked hours. It wasn't until I found this forum that I discovered that it wasn't common practice across the whole country, as had been claimed by our line manager. What I have yet to understand it what exactly we got out of that particular deal.

Wilful delay it may be but it doesn't trump the LAW OF THE LAND ie.. you can't be forced to work overtime....simples mate.
Bluff bluff and more bluff... up to you mate
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by POSTMAN »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Wiggins79 wrote:Sorry about that Clash.
No need to apologise.
I hope you feel better now you've got that off your chest.
Just needs to get the weight of his back and we're sorted. :d'oh!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
AlbertoGranado
Posts: 57
Joined: 25 Apr 2010, 15:16
Gender: Male
Location: Under Neon Loneliness

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by AlbertoGranado »

taurus88 wrote:
AlbertoGranado wrote:I've been getting told that mail has fallen by 10% year on year for the last 15 years or so, soooooo that means i now take out minus mail!!!!!
No it doesn't, but it would fall like so:

100
90
81
72.9
65.61
59.049
53.1441
47.82969
43.046721

As you can see, at those trends, after 15 years you'd be taking out 30 letters or so per 100 had the mail been falling consistently at 10% for 15 years. I wouldn't be surprised if mail had fallen somewhat, but probably only by around 10% overall. However, one has to wonder where d2ds are counted in this, seeing as they are 'live mail', and they also go into the bundles. And they're also paid for . . .

But no, they're just imaginary. Or they don't count.
Aye, but your example is on its 8th year of falling mail levels. after 15 years it would be 20.58 per 100 :Very Happy and i did say "or so" :wink:
All I'm saying is, I don't believe for 1 minute what royal mail tell us!!
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by BELIAL »

Wiggins79 wrote:
Stormproof wrote:
when you ring up management you get told you will get the sack if you cut off
I'd like to see RM try and defend themselves at an ET for that :cuppa
Well, you see they claim you are wilfully delaying the mail, which they say is a sackable offence.

And yes, it really gets to me about the banked hours. It wasn't until I found this forum that I discovered that it wasn't common practice across the whole country, as had been claimed by our line manager. What I have yet to understand it what exactly we got out of that particular deal.
Wiggi ,your lino is taking the piss, banked hours is not common practice cos there is no such thing as banked hours. You've been shafted by a devious parasite because of your trusting nature and ignorance ,I hope the situration :wink: changes soon :pray
Bye
Wiggins79
Posts: 182
Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 11:25
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by Wiggins79 »

Thanks for all the enlightening info everyone. I'm taking all this with me for the others in my office to see and we'll see what we can do about it.
BTW, forgot to say- thankfully the weight isn't on my back, but in the bike tray! At least until they take the bikes away.
Also- I forgot to say, this whole "banked hours" thing at our office had full approval from the local rep, so where the hell does that leave us regards the union?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by POSTMAN »

Wig,you can have a local agreement for banking hrs if you want,did you guys vote on it?Has it been signed off,are area aware?
If you don't want to do it anymore you have to stick together and tell them so.Not sure how things work with a written local agreement though.
Oh and it's NOT down to your rep,within reason he can like it or lump it,it's what the office wants.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Wiggins79
Posts: 182
Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 11:25
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by Wiggins79 »

Thanks again POSTMAN- we never got a vote on it, just got told it was happening and that was the end of it. We are only a 7 (down from 8, thankyou collapsed round) duty sub office though, so I assume it's an area agreement. But as I said earlier I would have thought it was agreed upon in return for some kind of carrot (the banked hours being the stick), but what that was eludes me. The problem in our office is despite everyone moaning about the situation, when push comes to shove they all roll over and do whatever is asked. I've tried before to try and organise an effective resistance (if that is the right word) to various practices forced on us, but have often found myself standing as an army of one.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Mail count does not show the complete picture of how long any walk may take to deliver, I believe weight would be far more reflective of our jobs in this modern age of loading us up with magazines, catologues and D2D.

I'm getting very tempted to start a daily routine of weighing my trolley (all my mail, I do some immediate drops outside depot by pouch) and then logging the results in a work diary... I suggest you all do the same (although for many of you that would involve lugging over all your drop bags, which I almost never have)...
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16740
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by clashcityrocker »

I don't think how long a duty takes is a very good indication of how much work it involves.
You don't measure work in hours/minutes, you measure it in calories.
So each walk should have a calorific assessment, because 4 hours of terraced houses on the flat isn't the same as 4 hours in a hilly area and isn't the same as 4 hrs of flats.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:I don't think how long a duty takes is a very good indication of how much work it involves.
You don't measure work in hours/minutes, you measure it in calories.
So each walk should have a calorific assessment, because 4 hours of terraced houses on the flat isn't the same as 4 hours in a hilly area and isn't the same as 4 hrs of flats.
Are you fishing CCR? :chuckle :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16740
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: The Mail is Down

Post by clashcityrocker »

Fishing for what?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.